Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 10, 2022 at 12:40 AM Post #45,316 of 46,554
Some nights I hear myself say "Man, all you really need is an HD6XX to be happy in this hobby."

Then I realize the system I'm putting it through, and I'm like "Oh, never mind......" :sweat_smile::sunglasses:
IMG_6518 2.jpeg
Then you do put the HD6XX in that system and, after listening for a bit, say “Oh, never mind” 🥲

Sep 10, 2022 at 6:43 AM Post #45,317 of 46,554
Some nights I hear myself say "Man, all you really need is an HD6XX to be happy in this hobby."

Then I realize the system I'm putting it through, and I'm like "Oh, never mind......" :sweat_smile::sunglasses:
IMG_6518 2.jpeg
You’re backing into one of the things that I’ve been spouting about for a long time - the headphones don’t act alone. The key is putting together a system that works, and certainly the 300 ohm Sennheisers, when paired with an appropriate amplifier, are good enough to be ‘the one and only’ for many.

Sep 10, 2022 at 8:33 AM Post #45,319 of 46,554
I don’t know about analog EQ, never tried it, but to me digital EQ always reduces dynamic range and transient coherency, yes without measuring it. If you can’t hear it that’s fine, but I always do physical mods for that reason.
Just no lol....you realize nearly every recording in the last 20 years has been digitally eqed more time than you can probably count before being released right?

Sep 10, 2022 at 9:16 AM Post #45,320 of 46,554
Just no lol....you realize nearly every recording in the last 20 years has been digitally eqed more time than you can probably count before being released right?
That’s not how it works. A recording can get audibly worse and worse, even if it was EQ’ed multiple times before it was released. If you put more compression on it through digital EQ, it will sound worse. I don’t see how this is hard to grasp.

Again like I said, if you can’t hear it, fine.

Sep 10, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #45,321 of 46,554
That’s not how it works. A recording can get audibly worse and worse, even if it was EQ’ed multiple times before it was released. If you put more compression on it through digital EQ, it will sound worse. I don’t see how this is hard to grasp.

Granted, I am biased, and eq in the digital domain does seem to do less harm than old school analog eq (digital vs analog debate totally aside), I still tend to prefer no eq at all on playback. Just because the waitress already spit in my soup, doesn’t mean I want everyone sitting at the counter with me to do it too. 😬

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2022 at 10:34 AM Post #45,322 of 46,554

Except you said EQ not compression. Also you have built a strawman here.

Sep 10, 2022 at 10:48 AM Post #45,323 of 46,554
Except you said EQ not compression. Also you have built a strawman here.
That is not what he said. What he said, in effect, is that eq adds compression. I agree that any time you touch the signal, you add distortion (specifically what kind of distortion is, frankly, quite irrelevant to the discussion). IMHO, adding additional distortion is bad, do forgive me, but this kind of sophistry is not very persuasive. I do believe it is you that is attempting to build a straw man.

Just my $.02. Truth is, I don’t care how you enjoy your music, and I would never presume to tell anyone else how to enjoy theirs. If you like eq, great. If you don’t, also great. Nothing worse than one person who thinks he has a license to tell other people they’re having fun wrong. Or have I inadvertently stumbled into the ASSR forum?

☣️☣️☣️

Sep 10, 2022 at 10:54 AM Post #45,324 of 46,554
That is not what he said. What he said, in effect, is that eq adds compression. I agree that any time you touch the signal, you add distortion (specifically what kind of distortion is, frankly, quite irrelevant to the discussion). IMHO, adding additional distortion is bad, do forgive me, but this kind of sophistry is not very persuasive. I do believe it is you that is attempting to build a straw man.

Just my $.02. Truth is, I don’t care how you enjoy your music, and I would never presume to tell anyone else how to enjoy theirs. If you like eq, great. If you don’t, also great. Nothing worse than one person who thinks he has a license to tell other people they’re having fun wrong. Or have I inadvertently stumbled into the ASSR forum?

☣️☣️☣️
Adding distortion is irrelevant if it is not detectable to the human ear. Additionally not all distortion is bad, many if not most electric instruments sound the way they do because of audible distortion.

My point is if the op I was responding to knew HOW MUCH EQ was using in the recording/mixing/mastering stages in most professional recordings they wouldn't blink an eye to a few extra changes made by the listener.

I mean watch a Dave Pensado mixing video, and you probably can't even count the amount of filters/effects/eqs on a song. If adding a few EQ changes later on down the line caused significant audible distortion we would be listening to everything raw.

If I am misrepresenting OPs point please tell me.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #45,325 of 46,554
Adding distortion is irrelevant if it is not detectable to the human ear.

My point is if the op I was responding to knew HOW MUCH EQ was using in the recording/mixing/mastering stages in most professional recordings they wouldn't blink an eye to a few extra changes made by the listener.

I mean watch a Dave Pensado mixing video, and you probably can't even count the amount of filters/effects/eqs on a song. If adding a few EQ changes later on down the line caused significant audible distortion we would be listening to everything raw.
Oh, please.

Many of us are listening ‘raw’. Who are you to tell me what I can hear and what I can’t? It’s like the old man on the first tee urging me to hit already because the group in front is out of HIS range. Zero comprehension that I might be able to hit it 100 yards further than he can, because it’s out of his experience. Such hubris.

Anyway, who cares? Do whatever makes you happy. Just don’t presume to know what will make someone else (who you’ve never met) happy.

Tell me, which is ‘better’: Ben and Jerry’s straight from the container, or Ben and Jerry's in a bowl with chocolate sprinkles? And which flavor ice cream should I use?

Sheesh!

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #45,326 of 46,554
Many of us are listening ‘raw’. Who are you to tell me what kind of sauce tastes better on my steak if I like it without any sauce? Such hubris.

And you’re totally misrepresenting the OPs point because this is a Sennheiser 650 thread and you’re proselytizing about eq because you’re so arrogant that you can’t comprehend that someone else might be sensitive to distortions that you are not.

Anyway, who cares? Do whatever makes you happy. Just don’t presume to know what will make me happy.
Raw means the stems of the tracks before mixing/mastering lmao. Pretty sure you are not doing that.

Also your strawman is getting larger and larger as you type. Never said anything about them being sensative to distortions or their preferences etcetc. Im saying unless they have actually tested that it isnt placebo no reason exists to believe a small bit of end user eq is making an audible difference in distortion. Nice attitude mate, truly worthy of the audiophile community lol

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #45,327 of 46,554
Raw means the stems of the tracks before mixing/mastering lmao. Pretty sure you are not doing that.

Also your strawman is getting larger and larger as you type. Never said anything about them being sensative to distortions or their preferences etcetc. Im saying unless they have actually tested that it isnt placebo no reason exists to believe a small bit of end user eq is making an audible difference in distortion. Nice attitude mate, truly worthy of the audiophile community lol
In point of fact, “Adding distortion is irrelevant if it is not detectable to the human ear” is exactly what you said. So now it’s my straw man? Before it was @dakanao’s straw man. Guess Plumbus is not so wise after all (and intellectually dishonest too).

And I am not your “mate”. You can call me Sir.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back