Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 6, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #95,806 of 152,921
In case anybody here is wondering what Pietro and I are working on, it's a project to support Doctors Without Borders working on the ground in Ukraine.
PM me and I will send you the details. No personal gain, of course no obligation, just helping out the civilians being targeted by the Russian army.
Cheers, mates.

Jul 6, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #95,807 of 152,921
A Cheers quote I believe. Classic :)

Really loved the CHEERS TV series. And of course the most frequently used line throughout the series: "Norm!!!!" lol

Jul 6, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #95,808 of 152,921
Wait, what? Not familiar with the Nelson Pass amp shenanigans?

I mean, I know he's one of the greatest living amp designers and his amps are much sought after. My impression was that he's a bit on the staid, anti-JasonStoddard side of things. Are you seayng he has a dark secret/passion I need to learn about?
It is said that he (Pass) likes VU Meters.:beerchug:

Jul 6, 2022 at 5:29 PM Post #95,809 of 152,921
Screen Shot 2022-07-06 at 2.28.21 PM.png

…which is of course the only valid option for this setting.

Jul 6, 2022 at 6:10 PM Post #95,810 of 152,921
Jul 6, 2022 at 6:21 PM Post #95,811 of 152,921
I was thinking an amp with...

Bob Carver's Sonic Holography + Nelson Pass' H2 2nd order Harmonics Generator. :wink:

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #95,812 of 152,921
Not entirely sure why, but felt the need to post this...
070622name.jpg
Though our version would be, "but you have the giant stash of NOS Bugle Boys," or "but you're the one who builds amps out of Masonite, right?"

On another tangent, I know FedEx has been wonky lately. But for perspective: a few months back I mailed book from north San Diego County to south SDCounty, perhaps 40 miles as the freeway winds. From USPS I got an estimate of four days and a tracking number. A week later, the parcel was in Washington D.C. It then passed through North Carolina and Los Angeles before being delivered in San Diego, a 20 day round trip. I wish I could travel that far for $4.45.
I loved it when I lived near Cleveland and ordered car parts from ECS Tuning. ECS is just outside Akron in Wadsworth OH. Any package would be picked up, go to Akron, go to Detroit, go to Cleveland adding a day every time. Never made sense that there was no Akron-Cleveland truck.
So I'll risk starting a fight, and go out on a limb and say that "people not giving a crap about their jobs" is an overly simplistic viewpoint/opinion/belief held by too many people not wanting to spend time on a more indepth look at the issues....

How much of it has to do with people being over worked, both in terms of hours spent working and expectations for the hours actually worked? How much of it is mental stress and anxiety? How much of it is physical? Depends on the job, sure... UPS and Fedex warehouse workers for example have more volume, less staff, and are expected to move more volume in a similar time frame as they used to do for lesser volumes. And with inflation, all of it for less pay.

I am a desk jockey, but I am burned the F out by working the jobs of two people. I been shouldering a heavy load the past 2+ years and its been worse the last 4 months as a manager at another location quit and I got shifted 4-6 hours of work a day, but only had 1-2 hours of work shifted away from me...and I was already at 10 hr daily average, plus weekends. My work quality has for sure suffered, and as my quality of life suffers... (time, stress, anxiety) I care less.....

Then you add companies shortchanging employees .10 cents here .7 percent there, etc, and you wonder why crap doesnt work as well or why they don't care as much..

Add in all the people that wisely retired during the pandemic, and it gets worse..... If you take a look at society as a whole and see we are all consuming products, goods, services.... there isn't enough help to go around for everything we consume.....

Anyway getting off my horse... It's a lot of grey and many factors...It isn't as easy as people just caring less in many circumstances....
Yep, starting up a new manufacturing site and my department alone was supposed to have all 4 salaried hired by April 2021. The second salaried started April 2022. I can say I was The Mech Eng for a billion dollar project during basic and detail engineering, and I am the only technical signature on more than 100 million USD of equipment contracts (including install, 65 million in equipment and counting) but it has been horrible.

Good news though, Folkvangr arrived today and will be able to be setup this evening.

Jul 6, 2022 at 6:31 PM Post #95,813 of 152,921
That sounds great! :)

What are your thoughts about the FV with HD6XX? Most impressions so far seem to involve HD800(S), Elex, or LCD-2 :smiley:

How long does it need?
My thoughts were that the tubes, being the only thing in the signal path, and heating up pretty quick, should need something like 15 minutes or so?
The FV sounds great with the 6XX that's for sure! I find the 6XX are very amp dependant and can scale really well depending on what you are using. They become a bit more "ethereal" when run off the Folkvangr. Frequency extension is great, the spaciousness is great! The only thing that I have found with them and the FV is that the centre image is definitely a bit farther out to the sides, other than that it's a great pairing! I wouldn't buy the FV if your only planning on using it with 6XX's though, I think there are OTL tube amps for less that would do just as good a job with these cans. It seems a lot more flexible than i was expecting! Even the Pre-out takes a sterile clean signal and turns it into something completely new and exciting! The music just seems much better for relaxing listening compared to analytical listening without losing frequency extension! Exactly what I was hoping for, and to be honest Schiit has maintained their great bang for the buck theme with this one!

In terms of heating, its not really any longer than a standard non direct heated but I find it's more important to let it get there! I'd say you'd be super safe with 15-20 min but listening is enjoyable right away but turns into gold as it heats!

Jul 6, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #95,816 of 152,921
I was thinking an amp with...

Bob Carver's Sonic Holography + Nelson Pass' H2 2nd order Harmonics Generator. :wink:
I had one of those Sonic Holography boxes I used with my Carver "Amazing IV's" in piano black finish, Carvers tube preamp, and two of those 1,000 watt mono-block mystery boxes (with VU meters of course) back in the late 90's until 2004 . When that new toy smell evaporated I came to the conclusion that proper speaker placement, (for the speaker type), a bit of room acoustic treatment, and a proper drive train, was still the way to go. But it was interesting, like 3D TV.

1657150134572.png
1657149863105.png
1657149587907.png

Jul 6, 2022 at 8:17 PM Post #95,818 of 152,921
So I'll risk starting a fight, and go out on a limb and say that "people not giving a crap about their jobs" is an overly simplistic viewpoint/opinion/belief held by too many people not wanting to spend time on a more indepth look at the issues....

How much of it has to do with people being over worked, both in terms of hours spent working and expectations for the hours actually worked? How much of it is mental stress and anxiety? How much of it is physical? Depends on the job, sure... UPS and Fedex warehouse workers for example have more volume, less staff, and are expected to move more volume in a similar time frame as they used to do for lesser volumes. And with inflation, all of it for less pay.

I am a desk jockey, but I am burned the F out by working the jobs of two people. I been shouldering a heavy load the past 2+ years and its been worse the last 4 months as a manager at another location quit and I got shifted 4-6 hours of work a day, but only had 1-2 hours of work shifted away from me...and I was already at 10 hr daily average, plus weekends. My work quality has for sure suffered, and as my quality of life suffers... (time, stress, anxiety) I care less.....

Then you add companies shortchanging employees .10 cents here .7 percent there, etc, and you wonder why crap doesnt work as well or why they don't care as much..

Add in all the people that wisely retired during the pandemic, and it gets worse..... If you take a look at society as a whole and see we are all consuming products, goods, services.... there isn't enough help to go around for everything we consume.....

Anyway getting off my horse... It's a lot of grey and many factors...It isn't as easy as people just caring less in many circumstances....
You make some valid points. I will add this: A friend of mine works at UPS. It could be a better place to work if management did not look at workers as 2nd class citizens.

Jul 6, 2022 at 8:19 PM Post #95,819 of 152,921
Jul 6, 2022 at 8:23 PM Post #95,820 of 152,921
Hey, even South Carolina added South to their name, to differentiate themselves from the North...! 😂😂
That came about via a petition signed by all North Carolins residents. :sweat_smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back