Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 27, 2019 at 9:12 PM Post #42,031 of 46,499
While I believe most aftermarket cables will have "different" sonic characteristics, my experience fooling with them at meets and with friends tells me they will be all over the place sonically. Especially since they interact with the headphone AND amplifier in a given system. This particular market is also driven by the cosmetic appeal of the cable.
cosmetic appeal = bragging rights too. Sometimes my colleagues would ask if my Sennheiser cost a few dozens bucks, which is their definition of “costly” headphones. With aftermarket cable they have raised the speculated amount to “hundreds”.

Jan 28, 2019 at 5:58 PM Post #42,032 of 46,499
Are these balanced cables? I agree that balanced cables make a difference in sound... but not the way you may think. It has been proven by many industry reviewers that balanced cables for headphones have very little or no difference in sound quality compared to unbalanced regular cabling. It does make a difference in speaker cables when the ouput power is moderate and the distance between the amp and speakers is long. I would favor balanced cables for concert speakers when the cables are 10m, 20m, 30m long. But for headphones? I told you there was a difference: the sound quality is the same, but balanced configuration let you benefit from additional amping, since you are using the equivalent of two amps to drive headphones in balanced configuration. The result may be more power, more loudness satisfaction, more dynamic sounding, but it is strictly a question of amping power. With sufficient amp power, the audio quality should not differ in balanced or unbalanced mode. In a 1.2m or 3m headphone cable, the added resistance in the cable, calculated in very slightly higher impendance (ohms) should not even be audiby discernable. A 150 ohms (nominal, averaged) headphone should not sound any different than the same headphone at 153 ohms... The same goes for 300 ohms headphones (which anyways have 450 ohms + peaks at certain bass frequencies). An averaged weighted 305 ohms (instead of 300 ohms) is undiscernable and no cause for concern. By the way, the added impedance with a cheap low gage cable compared to an expensive high gage cable is far less than the 5 ohms in my example, it is rather a fraction of an additional ohm, typically 0,1 or 0,4 ohms added, really undiscernable. That said, if you use a headphone amp that may be switched to balanced mode / unbalanced mode, I agree that in balanced mode the output power capability will be greater in balanced mode, and it may make a difference if your push your amp at higher output for rather loud listening into your headphones, but don’t get fooled, it’s only a question of output power which shows in higher db in your ears, not a question of sound quality difference. I personally don’t listen to headphones at rock concert levels, and therefore I would not find use of additional power from my headphone amp (if it was switcheable to a balanced mode), so the whole balanced mode amping and cabling is just useless to me. My amps are powerful enough for my needs with my HD600, HD58x and HD6xx.

As I understand it balanced output also provides a lower noise floor - but I tend to agree that cable is cable.

I currently have a balanced cable on order for my new hd6xx to use with my earstone es100.

When I switched to a balanced cable for my meze 99C, I noticed that the soundstage changed. It is wider and vocals are not as forward.

I attribute that to the change from SE to balanced, but I haven't tested using the balanced cable with a converter into the SE output.

Interested to see if I hear similar results when the balanced cable for the Hd6xx arrives this week

Jan 28, 2019 at 8:28 PM Post #42,033 of 46,499
I also have a cheap 10 dollar cable from ebay, and the HD 650 cable definitely has more bass impact with cleaner highs.

I also tested all those cables on my HD 540 Gold, and same results.

I must say that the HD 650 with the stock cable is not really forward in the vocals, but rather neutral.

My HD 540 Gold with aftermarket pads are definitely more upfront with the vocals

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #42,034 of 46,499
I recently got my HD 650 a few weeks ago and I'm really enjoying them. The only issue I have is that I'm not a fan of velour pads. My first set of cans were K7xx with Dekoni sheepskin leather pads and it was glorious. Are there any leather pads out there for the HD 650 that won't affect the sound signature much?

Sorry of this has been asked multiple times...2800+ pages is a lot to go through even with the search function.

Jan 28, 2019 at 11:29 PM Post #42,035 of 46,499
I recently got my HD 650 a few weeks ago and I'm really enjoying them. The only issue I have is that I'm not a fan of velour pads. My first set of cans were K7xx with Dekoni sheepskin leather pads and it was glorious. Are there any leather pads out there for the HD 650 that won't affect the sound signature much?

Sorry of this has been asked multiple times...2800+ pages is a lot to go through even with the search function.

Not speaking from experience, but I have read a few times on here that pad rolling really changes the signature for the worse.
That said, I am interested to hear if anyone has a found a good combination.. but YMMV.

Jan 28, 2019 at 11:40 PM Post #42,036 of 46,499
Not speaking from experience, but I have read a few times on here that pad rolling really changes the signature for the worse.
That said, I am interested to hear if anyone has a found a good combination.. but YMMV.
Not just the HD6xx/HD650, not just Sennheiser but other brands as well. I've had Grados that react quite well to mods. At first I really liked the change but as time goes by I realize these mods don't really make the sound "better", just different. And I always find myself going back to the "stock" sound.

Jan 29, 2019 at 7:19 AM Post #42,037 of 46,499
A well designed cable for your headphones is the most effective mod you can make. Choose a well known brand like WyWires, Norne etc and choose what your wallet can bear. I started with the "Smurf blue" Cardas on my HD 600s many years ago, but got tired of such a stiff cable. It really made a nice improvement though. I replaced it with a Toxic Silver Poison which has a tad bit better base and is very nice and limp. I ordered a Norne Silvergarde for my new HD 650s.

Jan 29, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #42,038 of 46,499
A well designed cable for your headphones is the most effective mod you can make. Choose a well known brand like WyWires, Norne etc and choose what your wallet can bear. I started with the "Smurf blue" Cardas on my HD 600s many years ago, but got tired of such a stiff cable. It really made a nice improvement though. I replaced it with a Toxic Silver Poison which has a tad bit better base and is very nice and limp. I ordered a Norne Silvergarde for my new HD 650s.

This is what I bought (currently out of stock) for my HD6XX and 58X. Bought two at 5 feet length each. https://customcans.co.uk/s/s/index.php/cables/original-sennheiser-cable/basicxlr.html

Jan 29, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #42,039 of 46,499
Indeed. I still find the stock HD 650 cable a bit too laidback with the vocals for my taste, and the Canare/Mogami mini star quad fixed that nicely with my previous HD 6xx.

Jan 29, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #42,040 of 46,499
Holy cow...does it make $600+ worth of improvement though?? I guess it's subjective, and if you have the cash...

I have a question for you though! I'm currently running a Bimby and Jotunheim with my HD 650 (all with stock or cheap cables). I wanted my next pair of cans to be closed so I've been considering the MrSpeakers Ether C Flow. Would my set up do well for both cans? Also, if I were to grab these and decide to stick with the two, what order would you recommend I start upgrading the rest of my gear in the coming years? Sorry for the loaded questions, please feel free to answer as much or as little as you'd like! Thanks.

Jan 29, 2019 at 10:01 AM Post #42,041 of 46,499
Indeed. I still find the stock HD 650 cable a bit too laidback with the vocals for my taste, and the Canare/Mogami mini star quad fixed that nicely with my previous HD 6xx.
Pretty new to the audiophile world. Googling the Canare/Mogami mini star quad took me to here: https://www.markertek.com/product/l...-star-quad-microphone-cable-by-the-foot-black

Does this mean you made your own cable? Any recommendations for the remaining parts? I plan to follow one of those cable-making guides and I've already picked up a soldering iron.

Jan 29, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #42,042 of 46,499
Pretty new to the audiophile world. Googling the Canare/Mogami mini star quad took me to here: https://www.markertek.com/product/l...-star-quad-microphone-cable-by-the-foot-black

Does this mean you made your own cable? Any recommendations for the remaining parts? I plan to follow one of those cable-making guides and I've already picked up a soldering iron.
No I bought them from venus audio on ebay

https://www.ebay.nl/itm/6-SENNHEISE...=item1cb78014f5:g:QC0AAOSwkNtaZkLo:rk:16:pf:0

You can ask for the length and type of plug you want

Jan 29, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #42,043 of 46,499

Hey there,
I haven't made a replacement cable for the HD 650, but Redco has the best prices I've found for cables and connectors.
Canare L-4E5C - $0.48/ft
Sennheiser Connectors - $19.95/pr. I remember having seen a similar set for maybe half this price, of course I have no idea where I saw it.
Neutrik NP3X-B - $5.48[URL='https://www.redco.com/Neutrik-NP3X-B.html'].[/url] I've had good luck with this one in the past.

Jan 29, 2019 at 10:22 AM Post #42,044 of 46,499
No I bought them from venus audio on ebay

https://www.ebay.nl/itm/6-SENNHEISE...=item1cb78014f5:g:QC0AAOSwkNtaZkLo:rk:16:pf:0

You can ask for the length and type of plug you want

Ah it looks to be non-English haha. I'll see if I can find something similar in the US. Thanks!

Hey there,
I haven't made a replacement cable for the HD 650, but Redco has the best prices I've found for cables and connectors.
Canare L-4E5C - $0.48/ft
Sennheiser Connectors - $19.95/pr. I remember having seen a similar set for maybe half this price, of course I have no idea where I saw it.
Neutrik NP3X-B - $5.48. I've had good luck with this one in the past.
Awesome, thanks!! Do you or anyone else know if this would make a noticeable improvement over the stock cable?

Jan 29, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #42,045 of 46,499
Ah it looks to be non-English haha. I'll see if I can find something similar in the US. Thanks!

Awesome, thanks!! Do you or anyone else know if this would make a noticeable improvement over the stock cable?
You should be able to find Venus Audio on the US version of eBay, too.

You're welcome!
Can't say for sure. The only cable I've made and used with the HD 650 is an extension made of Mogami W2549, which was completely transparent to my ear. Unfortunately, it's only two conductors plus shield so it won't work as a replacement cable. I'd imagine any well designed cable from a major company will offer a similar transparency, but I can't confirm that from experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back