Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 29, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #42,046 of 46,527
Pretty new to the audiophile world. Googling the Canare/Mogami mini star quad took me to here: https://www.markertek.com/product/l...-star-quad-microphone-cable-by-the-foot-black
Does this mean you made your own cable? Any recommendations for the remaining parts? I plan to follow one of those cable-making guides and I've already picked up a soldering iron.
Awesome, thanks!! Do you or anyone else know if this would make a noticeable improvement over the stock cable?
Yes! tremendous improvement. Sky is the limit. In fact your only limit is your imagination. When you listen to the new cable try to imagine the electrons moving much faster, like through a wormhole. It helps a lot. Red sleeves for the cabling are a must also. It will also help that you are a beginner at soldering.

Jan 29, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #42,047 of 46,527
You should be able to find Venus Audio on the US version of eBay, too.

You're welcome!
Can't say for sure. The only cable I've made and used with the HD 650 is an extension made of Mogami W2549, which was completely transparent to my ear. Unfortunately, it's only two conductors plus shield so it won't work as a replacement cable. I'd imagine any well designed cable from a major company will offer a similar transparency, but I can't confirm that from experience.
Gotcha, thanks!

Yes! tremendous improvement. Sky is the limit. In fact your only limit is your imagination. When you listen to the new cable try to imagine the electrons moving much faster, like through a wormhole. It helps a lot. Red sleeves for the cabling are a must also. It will also help that you are a beginner at soldering.
Hahaha. Noted. Super insightful.

Jan 29, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #42,048 of 46,527
Ah it looks to be non-English haha. I'll see if I can find something similar in the US. Thanks!

Awesome, thanks!! Do you or anyone else know if this would make a noticeable improvement over the stock cable?
They're a US based company, just change ebay.nl to .com like this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-SENNHEIS...=item1cb78014f5:g:QC0AAOSwkNtaZkLo:rk:16:pf:0

And yes, the Canare L-4E5C does make a noticable improvement over the stock cable. Cleaner more refined highs, tighter bass, more present vocals, better separation. Soundwise it'll be all you need.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #42,049 of 46,527
Jan 29, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #42,051 of 46,527
...If only there were a way for you to look at the other items that seller has available...

:wink:

Haha fair enough. I’ve never had an eBay account through or PayPal. I’ve always been weiry of them as I’ve heard about PayPal getting hacked or people buying things from eBay and receiving empty boxes.

Jan 29, 2019 at 4:16 PM Post #42,054 of 46,527
Holy cow...does it make $600+ worth of improvement though?? I guess it's subjective, and if you have the cash...

I have a question for you though! I'm currently running a Bimby and Jotunheim with my HD 650 (all with stock or cheap cables). I wanted my next pair of cans to be closed so I've been considering the MrSpeakers Ether C Flow. Would my set up do well for both cans? Also, if I were to grab these and decide to stick with the two, what order would you recommend I start upgrading the rest of my gear in the coming years? Sorry for the loaded questions, please feel free to answer as much or as little as you'd like! Thanks.
As you can see, I have an Ether C/no Flow. The Mr Speakers are good headphones. You might also want to check out the ZMF closed headphones too. I usually upgrade headphones first then amp and later DAC. I would then upgrade to a decent set of interconnects like Wywire blue or Silver. Their Red headphone cable is good value for $$ spent. Norne makes good headphone cables of all kinds and prices. Look on Audiogon and Audio Asylum for used cables. They are cheaper and already broken in.
If you like Schiit, your 650s will love their Valhalla all tube amp.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2019 at 7:49 PM Post #42,055 of 46,527
Haha fair enough. I’ve never had an eBay account through or PayPal. I’ve always been weiry of them as I’ve heard about PayPal getting hacked or people buying things from eBay and receiving empty boxes.
Just my experience:
Over the years I have bought over 400 items from ebay, paid with Paypal and have only got stiffed once - by a Russian seller who disappeared from ebay.
I try to buy from sellers who have a better than 99% positive feedback at high volume, if lower I check what they have been given negatives for - sometimes it's just snarky.

Jan 30, 2019 at 7:02 PM Post #42,056 of 46,527
Just my experience:
Over the years I have bought over 400 items from ebay, paid with Paypal and have only got stiffed once - by a Russian seller who disappeared from ebay.
I try to buy from sellers who have a better than 99% positive feedback at high volume, if lower I check what they have been given negatives for - sometimes it's just snarky.

Perhaps I'll consider looking into eBay. I guess I'm just cautious.

Jan 30, 2019 at 8:30 PM Post #42,057 of 46,527
Just my experience:

good advice, my ebay practices are very similar, I've had only one issue, from a Chinese buy, but Ebay and PayPal backed me the whole way.

Jan 30, 2019 at 9:08 PM Post #42,058 of 46,527
I have even another layer of protection on our PayPal account. I don't "leave" $ in it, and have our Amex card used with PayPal purchases. They will charge back disputes, though I also have had few problems over the years.

Enjoying 600 slightly over 650 these days. (On topic compliance)

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2019 at 10:50 PM Post #42,059 of 46,527
I will say this... Darkvoice 336SE makes these cans SING, pure tonal bliss.. 2019-01-25 17.38.43-1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back