1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by tangsta, Sep 24, 2006.
  1. boblauer
    My standard response to myself is if I need to ask about cost I cannot afford it. I've got probably a thousand dollars worth of gear I don't even listen to anymore because I had to have it and then went a different direction. My prime example is my Mojo, sounds terrific but I've found for mobile use I don't want to haul it around and have a desktop system I use at home so it collects dust. Such a shame. Enjoy what you have and be happy with it

Guidostrunk likes this.
  2. Deftone
    Staying on this forum doesnt help many people to do that though, i find people still like to read the threads even after purchasing something they love (including me) only to then get curious about the latest "life changing" audio products. This is where will power comes in to it i guess.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  3. JKDJedi
    Or enjoy what you have now..

Guidostrunk likes this.
  4. dakanao
    So perhaps this is the reason why the HD 650 sounds more present with the vocals on my laptops onboard soundcard vs the Chord Mojo, since the output impedance of an average onboard laptop is 200 ohm

5. JKDJedi
    Sounds really great of an iFi Black Label amp dac, and really special off a tubed amp.

6. dakanao
    The Mojo is more refined in every single way as compared to my laptops output, like it should be for the price, except that the vocals have more presence on the laptop vs the Mojo, which I found very strange and dissapointing

7. boblauer
    The essence of financial survival in this hobby and this forum.

JKDJedi likes this.
  8. JKDJedi
    Even on high gain?

9. dakanao
    Mojo doesn't have a gain switch. I've read that the output impedance is 0.075 ohm

10. SilverEars
    I'd expect warmth from high output impedance. Nobody experiencing warmth or wooley response from high output impedance? I would also expect bass to be a bit loose as well.

The thing is, 650/6XX is already a warm headphone, most cases anyways.

How are people's experience with high output impedance? Please let me know of contrary experiences, and what amp. I know OTL doesn't necessarily mean high output impedance.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  11. buke9
    Bottlehead Crack has a output impedance of roughly 120 ohms and I don’t find it has loose bass at all for me . Depending on the tubes used it is not real warm either . Tube amp doesn’t always mean it is warm take the Valhalla 2 with stock tubes is very bright to me.

DavidA and JKDJedi like this.
  12. JKDJedi
    I concur also, tube amps add space, depth, and realism to the sound, not so digital sounding. Not better, just different (I'm biased toward the tube sound). And I like the difference a lot. And the tubed amp makes for a great conversational piece.
    FYI: Darkvoice has an output impedance of 32-600ohms. And you can find some gems (NOS tubes) out there, I have $7 tubes to $50 tubes that sound awesome. All part of the hobby. I feel you have to have at least one tubed amp in your collection. If your an enthusiast audiophile, why not? Sure it might not be feasible to grab one now but it should be on your want list.

13. megabigeye
    This thread has a couple of posts by obobskivich that have a good explanation of how headphones and amplifier output impedance interact. Really should be required reading for anybody wondering about damping factor, output impedance, OTL amps, etc.
    I really wish I had a deeper understanding of the science behind it.
    Looking at the HD 650's impedance curve might help you understand what you're hearing.

14. MacMan31
    Is there possibly any quality tube amps under $300? Or is something like the Darkvoice my best option?

15. B0NES
    I’m waiting on that Massdrop Bottlehead Crack + SB drop

JKDJedi and buke9 like this.