Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 18, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #41,656 of 46,523
Screenshot_2018-09-18-20-40-16.png
I think you will find that the Magni3 will give the HD650 a bit more dynamics, subtle, but helps IMO.

As for a closed version of the HD650 take a look at DT-150, a bit of an ugly duckling but its fairly close to the HD650 sound in a closed design.

Aren't the Shure SRH1540 headphones close? The only thing that's really different is they have a little more sub-bass.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018 at 4:54 AM Post #41,657 of 46,523

Aren't the Shure SRH1540 headphones close? The only thing that's really different is they have a little more sub-bass.
Yup, SRH1540 are closed and they do sound similar to HD650 but unless you can find it way cheaper than the MSRP they are not worth it IMO. I have the SRH-1840 which is the open version and they are fairly close to the HD650 but with a bit cleaner bass and a touch more extended highs and sound decent/good from a phone or DAP. They are also a bit more comfortable for me since they are quite light, have alcantara ear pads with slightly larger openings and don't have the vice like clamping of most HD6 series headphones.

Sep 19, 2018 at 5:56 AM Post #41,658 of 46,523
Yup, SRH1540 are closed and they do sound similar to HD650 but unless you can find it way cheaper than the MSRP they are not worth it IMO. I have the SRH-1840 which is the open version and they are fairly close to the HD650 but with a bit cleaner bass and a touch more extended highs and sound decent/good from a phone or DAP. They are also a bit more comfortable for me since they are quite light, have alcantara ear pads with slightly larger openings and don't have the vice like clamping of most HD6 series headphones.

My Sony NW-WM1A drives the Shure better as well.

Sep 19, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #41,659 of 46,523
I must say, the DT-150 needs DT-100 velour pads to sound the most like a closed HD 650. With the stock pads, the bass is too heavy and boomy.

Other than that, if I could get an excellent fit easily with the DT-150 and the cable was a bit shorter, they could be endgame.

They're ridicously good, whatever price. I compared them to the Oppo PM-3 and the Audeze EL-8 open, and the DT-150 just sounded more correct and engaging.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2018 at 12:34 AM Post #41,660 of 46,523
I’m liking the HDXX more and more. They are very good casual listening headphones. They don’t beat you to death with bass, or stab your ears wih treble, but have just enough of both that the music is dynamic and well represented without being flat. l can see why the hd650 they are based on hs such a good reputation. I can forsee myself listening to these for years to come. Its making my hd558s become almost obsolete by comparison. Although i’ll still find a use for them elsewhere as i do with all my old stuff. Its rare that i let any tech of mine go to waste :)

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #41,661 of 46,523
I’m liking the HDXX more and more. They are very good casual listening headphones. They don’t beat you to death with bass, or stab your ears wih treble, but have just enough of both that the music is dynamic and well represented without being flat. l can see why the hd650 they are based on hs such a good reputation. I can forsee myself listening to these for years to come. Its making my hd558s become almost obsolete by comparison. Although i’ll still find a use for them elsewhere as i do with all my old stuff. Its rare that i let any tech of mine go to waste :)

Very much agree

Sep 21, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #41,662 of 46,523
Now that the HD 6xx have become an even more mass-produced item, with all the tens of thousands sold through Massdrop, has anyone noticed any quality issues, especially with the most recent ones? Are they still all made entirely in Ireland? I'm considering buying them, but a bit concerned that their immense popularity through Massdrop and the massive demand, may have led to sacrifices in quality in order to meet the demand timely. How are people's HD 6xx holding up quality wise?

Sep 21, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #41,663 of 46,523
Now that the HD 6xx have become an even more mass-produced item, with all the tens of thousands sold through Massdrop, has anyone noticed any quality issues, especially with the most recent ones? Are they still all made entirely in Ireland? I'm considering buying them, but a bit concerned that their immense popularity through Massdrop and the massive demand, may have led to sacrifices in quality in order to meet the demand timely. How are people's HD 6xx holding up quality wise?
There isn't any issues. Even the HD 58X. They all are made in Ireland.

HD 6XX totally ruined HD 595 for me (I don't think there's a single thing that it does better). With HD 6XX there isn't anything that hurts the immersion, doesn't strain ears and so on. I don't think that there's such a thing as perfect headphone, but the HD 6XX just does sound nice and there's so much detail that I'm still discovering new subtle stuff from tracks that I never heard before.

If Sennheiser would release a true successor to HD 650, the sound signature would have to be similar. HD 660 S and HD 58X are different enough so that they are alternatives rather than replacements.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #41,664 of 46,523
I got the HD6XX last week, put them on, Wouldnt say i hated them.. But i had the same sound from a $50 pair of corsair headphones (Vengence 1500) the HD6XX had a bit more mids.That was first impressions.

Left them 2 days & came back to them, They sounded very different from the first time bit of soundstage, bit of imaging nothing to brag about but its there, male vocals shouty, female vocals focused, Full sounding, I actually forget how the bass sounded its like they are bassy but not bassy... I actually like them now glad i gave them another chance. Even thought im clearly not using them.....Because i got the 660s at the same time.

I do Prefer the 660s the 660s don't have the fullness like the HD6XX but they have everything else & do it better! but I'm keeping the HD6XX. I remember not liking the HD600 in a similar way to the HD6XX so i sold them, But i think my sound preference is changing might look at getting another pair.

Sep 21, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #41,665 of 46,523
A fashion conscious person :L3000:, then I'd suggest the older Momentum on-ears like these:
I'm not sure if you can find them new these days since they have been discontinued for 2 or 3 years IIRC. I was able to buy 8 of them back in 2014 from Amazon warehouse in "like new" condition for $54-65, depending on the color and gave them for x-mas gifts to my GF and other female friends and they all love them due to the colors and they don't look half bad on most heads. While not quite a closed HD650 in sound they are fairly inoffensive like the HD650, light weight with a low clamping force, very comfortable alcantara ear pads, and comes with 2 cables, one which has a control/mic.

+1 on the first gen Momentum on-ears, funny thing is I have that exact model in that exact color lol - and they are quite pretty!

Sep 21, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #41,667 of 46,523
I already loved them without an amp but now that I have my Magni 3...it doesn’t initially SEEM like they sound a whole lot better with it, just a little. But that difference means a lot. They now sound smoother, cleaner, tighter, more dynamic and stronger. I love this headphone. Now the predicament is finding the time to listen to all of my music with it :frowning2:

Sep 21, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #41,668 of 46,523
I already loved them without an amp but now that I have my Magni 3...it doesn’t initially SEEM like they sound a whole lot better with it, just a little. But that difference means a lot. They now sound smoother, cleaner, tighter, more dynamic and stronger. I love this headphone. Now the predicament is finding the time to listen to all of my music with it :frowning2:

What dac are you using, you should try ABing them, amped and unamped. The HD6xx series scales greatly with gear.

Sep 21, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #41,669 of 46,523
What dac are you using, you should try ABing them, amped and unamped. The HD6xx series scales greatly with gear.
I just use my MacBook which works fine. The headphone was loud enough with it actually but I had already ordered the amp. I did some A/B testing and as I mentioned the differences were slight but made a difference overall. Smoother, more immersive and a little more detailed, with more layers to the sound. I'm not going to bother too much with testing, since I already have the amp I might as well use it.

I love this headphone. It has a relaxing sound but also plenty detailed and dynamic. They got it right, don't think I need anything else. I have the H6 for closed back portable use and while I mentioned earlier they compared well enough to the HD6XX and I like them, the more I listen to the HD6XX I realize I find it more enjoyable.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2018 at 7:03 PM Post #41,670 of 46,523
I just use my MacBook which works fine. The headphone was loud enough with it actually but I had already ordered the amp. I did some A/B testing and as I mentioned the differences were slight but made a difference overall. Smoother, more immersive and a little more detailed, with more layers to the sound. I'm not going to bother too much with testing, since I already have the amp I might as well use it.

I love this headphone. It has a relaxing sound but also plenty detailed and dynamic. They got it right, don't think I need anything else. I have the H6 for closed back portable use and while I mentioned earlier they compared well enough to the HD6XX and I like them, the more I listen to the HD6XX I realize I find it more enjoyable.

HD 6xx series of headphones are the type of that will make you love them more the more you listen to them, they don't have that wow factor that some headphones have but they just have something magical about them that keeps pulling you back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back