Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 15, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #41,643 of 46,527
Have you heard the H6? I quite like them enough that I feel no need to replace them with another closed headphone...

The Momentum was a consideration early on as were several others but went with the H6. Those Momentums look nice, so does the pup :)
Heard the H6 once in best buy, not a good place to make comparisons and it didn't help that I was holding my GF's Ultrasone Julia while she was looking for a new laptop so I decided to go over to the headphone section to listen to a few and one of them was the H6 and I can't remember much about them but I know they weren't bad since I did listen to a few songs with them.

The pup is Louie, my old GF's baby and he's actually a full grown Papillon but with his fur cut short, made it much easier to take care of.

Sep 17, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #41,644 of 46,527
I think you will find that the Magni3 will give the HD650 a bit more dynamics, subtle, but helps IMO.

I just got my HD6XX today. They are by far the creamiest and smoothest headphones I have evert heard immediately after hooking them to my SMSL SU-8 and Massdrop O2 amp desktop edition. Listening to Hiromi's album Alive right now and Honestly I could not ask for more from the match. For this specific album at least when sitting back, chilling and reading this is the perfect combo. They are not as precise as my HE-400i or as dynamic as my LCD-2C, but for sheer relaxing musical enjoyment I have to give them the win. They are light on your head, the velour pads keep you from getting all sweaty, and the earcups also allow for more breathing. For $200 they are really a steal. Highly recommended. BTW David I think the magni 3 would ruin them for me, but I might be wrong and can't test now since my magni 3 has been sent back for some schiity repair :) The HD6XX could use more low extention like others have mentioned, but that for me can become too intrusive when I'm listening to music as I read. I would have to say if you want a sound signature like the HD6XX, but 'on steroids', get the Audeze LCD-2C.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #41,645 of 46,527
I just got my HD6XX today. They are by far the creamiest and smoothest headphones I have evert heard immediately after hooking them to my SMSL SU-8 and Massdrop O2 amp desktop edition. Listening to Hiromi's album Alive right now and Honestly I could not ask for more from the match. For this specific album at least when sitting back, chilling and reading this is the perfect combo. They are not as precise as my HE-400i or as dynamic as my LCD-2C, but for sheer relaxing musical enjoyment I have to give them the win. They are light on your head, the velour pads keep you from getting all sweaty, and the earcups also allow for more breathing. For $200 they are really a steal. Highly recommended. BTW David I think the magni 3 would ruin them for me, but I might be wrong and can't test now since my magni 3 has been sent back for some schiity repair :)

I get much enjoyment from the HD6XX with the Magni3 and Modi Multibit. I find that combo more enjoyable than my older Magni2U with Modi2U stack.
:)

Sep 17, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #41,646 of 46,527
I get much enjoyment from the HD6XX with the Magni3 and Modi Multibit. I find that combo more enjoyable than my older Magni2U with Modi2U stack.

From my experience with the magni 3, I think it will give the Senns too much treble bias, which to some might sound more 'lively' ,but to me it usually results in fewer hours spent listening as I get tired of hearing the old treble 'icepick in your ear' sound. But since my unit was sent back for a bad pot, on top of the treble bias concerns I have, its not really fair for me to say anything regarding the magni 3's sound as I could have just gotten a bad unit. I'll see what they tell me when they test it. If the bad volume pot is the only thing found I'll then stick with my initial impressions of the magni 3's sound signature.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #41,647 of 46,527
You guys should try out the KISS mod, makes this headphone more punchy and snappy sounding, the woolyness decreases greatly with the mod, while retaining the sweetness of the HD650. The highs are super smooth but have insane detail on the HD650, there is this magic in the 650s that makes me question why are there headphones that are so much more expensive yet don't provide the listening pleasure that these do ! The only downside is the bass, doesn't have the extension and is a bit soft in contrast to planars.

Sep 17, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #41,648 of 46,527
I actually really liked the same combo but the only downside is that the magni 3 has a forward soundstage and the HD650 can get a bit claustrophobic with the magni 3 other than that it has excellent clarity and good bass and to top it off the entire combo is very affordable and knocks on the doors of much higher end setup, the magni 3 is an oddity because I believe it to sound better than some of schiits older amps (asgard, lyr etc)

Sep 17, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #41,649 of 46,527
I actually really liked the same combo but the only downside is that the magni 3 has a forward soundstage and the HD650 can get a bit claustrophobic with the magni 3 other than that it has excellent clarity and good bass and to top it off the entire combo is very affordable and knocks on the doors of much higher end setup, the magni 3 is an oddity because I believe it to sound better than some of schiits older amps (asgard, lyr etc)

Does excellent 'clarity' mean more prominent treble?

Sep 18, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #41,650 of 46,527
Joined the 6XX drop! Will be my second headphone. Moving in from IEMs slowly.

Sep 18, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #41,651 of 46,527
Joined the 6XX drop! Will be my second headphone. Moving in from IEMs slowly.
I went from haedphones to iems then earbuds :)

Sep 18, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #41,652 of 46,527
I went from haedphones to iems then earbuds :)

May see you at the earbuds side of the equation one day =P

Any you recommend to start off with? Like 6XX or ER4SR kind of level. Preferably a well rounded classic.

Sep 18, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #41,653 of 46,527
well I was just asked in the earbuds thread what earbud sounded like the HD650 and it is IMO the K's 600. Today I'm listening to the Seahf AWK-F320S

Sep 18, 2018 at 5:28 PM Post #41,654 of 46,527
:) The HD6XX could use more low extention like others have mentioned, but that for me can become too intrusive when I'm listening to music as I read. I would have to say if you want a sound signature like the HD6XX, but 'on steroids', get the Audeze LCD-2C.

Eq’ing might help out...at least I found it so with the Loki.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back