Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Mar 10, 2017 at 3:43 AM Post #37,996 of 46,499
  Is there anything lusher and smoother than the HD 650s? I have heard the LCD 2.2 and I did not like them . They were a bit more aggressive sounding than the 650s if my memory serves me correctly. I am looking at Audioquest Nighthawks. Has anyone tried them ?

Tried the Nighthawks for a few weeks from a friend, they are darker sounding (have less treble/highs) but not smoother than the HD650.

Mar 10, 2017 at 4:52 AM Post #37,998 of 46,499
Is there anything lusher and smoother than the HD 650s? I have heard the LCD 2.2 and I did not like them . They were a bit more aggressive sounding than the 650s if my memory serves me correctly. I am looking at Audioquest Nighthawks. Has anyone tried them ?

I think you'll be hard pushed to find another headphone that is as good overall than the hd650 if its lush and smooth that you're after. Yes there are smoother sounding headphones but none that match their fr and depth etc. Fwiw I thought the Lcd2.2 were are smoother but too closed-in sounding. Maybe lcd3?

Mar 10, 2017 at 5:31 AM Post #38,000 of 46,499
I think you'll be hard pushed to find another headphone that is as good overall than the hd650 if its lush and smooth that you're after. Yes there are smoother sounding headphones but none that match their fr and depth etc. Fwiw I thought the Lcd2.2 were are smoother but too closed-in sounding. Maybe lcd3?

That is true. I have been asking this question on headfi for quite a while now. 
I have only heard the fazors. They don't sound as smooth as the HD 650s. 

Mar 10, 2017 at 6:35 AM Post #38,004 of 46,499
  I own them. You can see them in the pic.
DT 150s sound absolutely euphoric, but are not as lush as the 650s.

I heard them a few times and it was one of the best for a closed HD650 sound, I haven't seen them for sale in Hawaii and the one that I heard was at a music store and the personal headphone of one of the workers.  A little of an ugly duckling but they sound like a swan to me.

PS: the picture in your avatar is a little dark on my screen, the headphones seem to blend in to the table they are sitting on.

Mar 10, 2017 at 6:48 AM Post #38,005 of 46,499
  I heard them a few times and it was one of the best for a closed HD650 sound, I haven't seen them for sale in Hawaii and the one that I heard was at a music store and the personal headphone of one of the workers.  A little of an ugly duckling but they sound like a swan to me.

PS: the picture in your avatar is a little dark on my screen, the headphones seem to blend in to the table they are sitting on.

I agree. They look ugly, but have a heart of gold. Best closed back headphones IMO. They also do electronic music better than the 650s - though, nothing can touch the 650s for acoustic music except the R10s that I tried a few months ago, but they are very rare to find + out of my budget. 

Mar 10, 2017 at 7:16 AM Post #38,006 of 46,499
  I agree. They look ugly, but have a heart of gold. Best closed back headphones IMO. They also do electronic music better than the 650s - though, nothing can touch the 650s for acoustic music except the R10s that I tried a few months ago, but they are very rare to find + out of my budget. 

I own the DT-150 right now, but I use the DT-100 velour earpads on them. With their stock earpads, I found them to have too much bass.

But yeah, honestly they don't sound like closed headphones, they really do sound like an open headphone.

Mar 10, 2017 at 8:33 AM Post #38,007 of 46,499
That is true. I have been asking this question on headfi for quite a while now. 
I have only heard the fazors. They don't sound as smooth as the HD 650s. 

Yes my lcd2 were the none fazor so cant comment on them.

Mar 10, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #38,009 of 46,499
Just grabbed another pair of lcds. Pre fazor 2.2 this go around. These to my ears are much better sounding than the fazor. I'd still choose the 650 over it though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back