Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Mar 10, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #38,011 of 46,527
Just grabbed another pair of lcds. Pre fazor 2.2 this go around. These to my ears are much better sounding than the fazor. I'd still choose the 650 over it though.

Due to comfort issues, I hope.

Mar 10, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #38,012 of 46,527
  It is an entry level set up. FiiO K5 as an amp and the FiiO X5 as a dac. It does have more than enough power to drive the HD 650s well. It puts 150 mw into 300 ohms.

Power isn't everything, but suit yourself.

I don't know if it just me but this is a rather rude reply IMO.  but it could also be lost in translation since your location is Denmark so English may not be your first language?

I tested this setup and for the price, it is golden. 

Given the price and performance of HD650, K5 + X5 is a good pairing that should satisfy most people. I would generally prefer K5 + X7 given the ESS DAC in X7, but K5 + X5 is a very potent setup. 

Mar 10, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #38,015 of 46,527

Power isn't everything, but suit yourself.

I don't know if it just me but this is a rather rude reply IMO.  but it could also be lost in translation since your location is Denmark so English may not be your first language?

English is not my first language as well. I found it rude too. I thought maybe he was going to suggest me a set up that would meet my wants.

Mar 10, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #38,017 of 46,527
  I own the DT-150 right now, but I use the DT-100 velour earpads on them. With their stock earpads, I found them to have too much bass.

But yeah, honestly they don't sound like closed headphones, they really do sound like an open headphone.

Yes, it is quite big for a closed back. I find the soundstage on the DT 150s better than the 650s. HD 650's soundstage width is a bit wider, but the depth is not very impressive. DT 150s have better depth.

Mar 10, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #38,018 of 46,527
Due to comfort issues, I hope.

I owned both at the same time (LCD2.2 PF) and to be fair they are both very good at what they do. But I would argue that the hd650 is the more versatile. Classical sounds very compressed and flat on the audeze for e.g but cozy jazz ensembles sound amazing. Vocals sound more natural on hd650. Audeze are smoother though.

Yes, it is quite big for a closed back. I find the soundstage on the DT 150s better than the 650s. HD 650's soundstage width is a bit wider, but the depth is not very impressive. DT 150s have better depth.

I've always found the depth of the hd650 very impresive. It doesnt have much width though. Imaging in general is good but now sounds cozy compared to senns newer models.

Mar 10, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #38,019 of 46,527
I owned both at the same time (LCD2.2 PF) and to be fair they are both very good at what they do. But I would argue that the hd650 is the more versatile. Classical sounds very compressed and flat on the audeze for e.g but cozy jazz ensembles sound amazing. Vocals sound more natural on hd650. Audeze are smoother though.
I've always found the depth of the hd650 very impresive. It doesnt have much width though. Imaging in general is good but now sounds cozy compared to senns newer models.

I mean compared to the DT 150 or else the depth is nice. 

Mar 10, 2017 at 10:33 PM Post #38,021 of 46,527
Just grabbed another pair of lcds. Pre fazor 2.2 this go around. These to my ears are much better sounding than the fazor. I'd still choose the 650 over it though.

Same with me approx. 5 years ago.  I sold my HD650 in order to buy the LCD 2 rev2.2  Within a couple of days after listening to the LCD HPs I began regretting selling my HD650.  The following week I sold the LCD & bought a new pair of HD650 & I distinctly remember smiling with relief and satisfaction once I had the HD650 back on my ears.  A few months ago I again sold my HD650 in order to finance an RS1 w/ buttons because I'd read & so many times how legendary their sound was.  I have since done what I did with the LCD 2 rev2.2, the RS1 is now history and another new HD650 sits on my head as I'm writing this.  

The definition of insanity is when someone does the same thing over and over again expecting different results.  I have regained my sanity and the HD650 is here to stay.  Also, 2 weeks ago I purchased an Ruppert Neve RNHP headphone amplifier and this amp and the HD650 were made for each other.  The sound is simply outstanding.  Imagine the HD650 being detailed, airy, very good body, balanced & lush; a bit fast also which is, according to the general consensus especially on Head-fi, not an HD650 attribute, the opposite of the mythical veil.  

The HD650, when properly amped is an exceptional headphone, has been for many years & let's not forget it was once the flagship in the Sennheiser stable.  Some audiophiles believe it still is. 

Mar 10, 2017 at 11:03 PM Post #38,022 of 46,527

Same with me approx. 5 years ago.  I sold my HD650 in order to buy the LCD 2 rev2.2  Within a couple of days after listening to the LCD HPs I began regretting selling my HD650.  The following week I sold the LCD & bought a new pair of HD650 & I distinctly remember smiling with relief and satisfaction once I had the HD650 back on my ears.  A few months ago I again sold my HD650 in order to finance an RS1 w/ buttons because I'd read & so many times how legendary their sound was.  I have since done what I did with the LCD 2 rev2.2, the RS1 is now history and another new HD650 sits on my head as I'm writing this.  

The definition of insanity is when someone does the same thing over and over again expecting different results.  I have regained my sanity and the HD650 is here to stay.  Also, 2 weeks ago I purchased an Ruppert Neve RNHP headphone amplifier and this amp and the HD650 were made for each other.  The sound is simply outstanding.  Imagine the HD650 being detailed, airy, very good body, balanced & lush; a bit fast also which is, according to the general consensus especially on Head-fi, not an HD650 attribute, the opposite of the mythical veil.  

The HD650, when properly amped is a hell of an headphone.

I'm thinking about selling the hd600 and the hd650. Because my he500 is clearly better. But I think I may regret it in the future.

Mar 10, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #38,023 of 46,527

All I can tell you is that I've owned both HD6xx siblings for quite a few years and I've owned many other high priced headphones and I keep coming back to the HD600/ 650.  They suit my musical requirements.  

Mar 10, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #38,024 of 46,527
Best way to avoid sellers remorse,

Keep them all...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back