Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Mar 7, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #37,966 of 46,514

Honestly, I'd give them about 30-50 or so hours of use, before I'd give up on them, if I were you.  I have a big head, and the clamping was a bit tight out of the box, but not as bad as the X2 I had.  The 650 clamping eased very quickly for me, maybe about after a week or so of 2-3 hours a day usage.  I did not bend the metal band as some suggest, but I did carefully stretch them out and hold for several seconds, several times.  I think this may have helped as well.  The X2 never did ease up for me like the 650 did.

Don't give up on the 650 before you've given them a chance.  The slightly tight clamping force out of the box does tend to ease for most folks.

This is getting a bit difficult now for me. :) I believe you, and since X2 is apparently better than the X1 in clamp so X1 < X2 < HD650, this is good news. Unfortunately, I've learned a long time ago I'm not most folks. :p

Haven't given up though. After all, there is a big price different between them and the Shures, and I'd honestly be only paying the premium for comfort. It might be worth it for me though. Pulling the trigger on a new headphone within a month, so we'll see.

Mar 7, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #37,967 of 46,514
  This is getting a bit difficult now for me. :) I believe you, and since X2 is apparently better than the X1 in clamp so X1 < X2 < HD650, this is good news. Unfortunately, I've learned a long time ago I'm not most folks. :p

Haven't given up though. After all, there is a big price different between them and the Shures, and I'd honestly be only paying the premium for comfort. It might be worth it for me though. Pulling the trigger on a new headphone within a month, so we'll see.

If comfort is a big issue look at the HD700, one of the most comfortable around.  The sound signature is either love it or hate it, I'm on the love it side and it can be a good complimentary headphone to the HD650.  My X1 is gone and only kept the X2 for 3 weeks before sending them back.

Mar 7, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #37,968 of 46,514
I have a huge problem with clamping force, a tight headphone will give me a headache almost instantly. I almost sent my hd650 back the day I got them as the clamp was unbearable. However I read about extending the arms all the way and then bending them outwards while holding the metal near the headband so it doesn't break. This did absolute wonders for clamp. They are very comfortable now. One of the most comfortable headphones I've owned. Don't let clamp scare you away from them.

Mar 7, 2017 at 10:33 PM Post #37,969 of 46,514
You can adjust the clamping force all you like. Use your hands on the metal portion only while bending. Otherwise you can crack the plastic headband.

Either fully extend the metal before bending it or to be completely safe remove it, as you would when replacing the headband pad.

Mar 7, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #37,970 of 46,514
Ok so this is really really strange. I had the mass drop Hd 6xx recently, sold them, and just bought the 650's, and they sound quite different. Different enough for me to post about it. The hd 6xx I had, had much more bass emphasis and had a much more rolled off treble, compared to the 650's I just got which have more tight/controlled bass (not as boomy), and much more treble energy. This is good for me fortunately because I felt the Hd6xx had too strong of bass, and sounded too dark for me, but I'm really happy with the sound of these Hd 650's.

But I'm really confused at the moment, because I understand they are supposed to sound the exact same! And it can't just be me lol, I'm certain there's a difference. The only thing I can think of is that the massdrop hd 6xx had some cable issues with some of the units and they're sending out replacements to everyone, but I don't know if that would explain it. The hd 6xx I had didn't sound defective or anything, they sounded really good actually. But these hd 650's just have more controlled and less emphasized bass and the treble extension is better.

Could it be my 650's are defective then lol? Are the 650/6xx supposed to have very heavy bass? I have no clue... strange.....

Mar 7, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #37,971 of 46,514
Ok so after doing some reading, apparently there's an old version and a new version of the 650's. The new version is supposed to be less veiled, more tonally balanced, and less bassy than the old 650's. So perhaps my massdrop 6xx sounded like the "old" 650's, and the 650's I currently have are the less veiled, less bassy  "new" version! So maybe it wasn't just me, maybe I was actually on to something 
biggrin.gif

Mar 7, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #37,972 of 46,514
Except that the 6xx is supposed to be based on the new 650 with the new drivers.  They stopped making the old 650 years ago.  They should sound the same.

I had an issue with the ivory 598 sounding different than a pair of 598 SE, but those are made in China with no driver matching, so I can understand variations in manufacturing.  The 650, and I believe 6xx also, are made in Ireland, and the drivers I believe are closely matched.  Makes me think the manufacturing and quality controls are tighter on the 650/6xx so should not be noticeable variations in sound between units.

Mar 7, 2017 at 11:31 PM Post #37,973 of 46,514
I would say that it's hard to make a direct comparison if you don't have both headphones side-by-side. Our memories just aren't really built to be so precise. Driver variation is also possible, but they're the same driver, so I doubt differences would be that big

Mar 8, 2017 at 2:20 AM Post #37,974 of 46,514
  I would say that it's hard to make a direct comparison if you don't have both headphones side-by-side. Our memories just aren't really built to be so precise. Driver variation is also possible, but they're the same driver, so I doubt differences would be that big

True, memory, especially when it comes to sound isn't very precise.  Still, in my case with the 598, I first ordered the ivory 598 and loved it.  Then came news of the 598 SE black friday special.  I was forced to return my ivory before the SE arrived.  Though right away, I could tell it sounded different.  I didn't love the sound anymore like I did with the ivory 598.  I couldn't give precise comparisons from memory, other than the ivory was warmer, bassier, with smoother treble and the SE had much less bass and harsher treble.  So I ordered another ivory 598, compared back to back, and sure enough, my observations from memory were confirmed.

So it is possible, if the differences are substantial enough, to know from memory, how one can sounds different than another.

Also, when you say the 650 and 6xx have the same driver, you're assuming the same model/design driver.  There may still be manufacturing variations within the exact same driver model line, varying by manufacturing lots/batches, or manufacturing variations in some other part of the headphone that may contribute to differences in sound.

Mar 8, 2017 at 5:13 AM Post #37,975 of 46,514
  Ok so after doing some reading, apparently there's an old version and a new version of the 650's. The new version is supposed to be less veiled, more tonally balanced, and less bassy than the old 650's. So perhaps my massdrop 6xx sounded like the "old" 650's, and the 650's I currently have are the less veiled, less bassy  "new" version! So maybe it wasn't just me, maybe I was actually on to something 
biggrin.gif

No even I had almost hated HD6XX in the beginning for too much bass and treble was hitting a note that I am very very sensitive to (I have bad case of sinus and it has affected my eardrums). Had really sharp pain in my ears but after 40-50 hours of burn-in it went away, both the bad treble peak and over emphasized bass. Now it is totally laid back as it should be. 

Mar 8, 2017 at 6:56 AM Post #37,976 of 46,514
If you put a headphone output directly on the line out of the DAC, that is what you get with a Chord DAC. There is no amplifier in it.

Other DAC's like the Auralic Vega are even louder than the Chord Hugo for example if you put the volume up (atleast the unit that I tried seemed to be able to deliver more power than the Hugo).

I love my Mojo... It has perhaps become my favorite versatile piece of electronics.

But I am under no illusion.

Every dac has a line driver stage right after the dac chip.

A line driver stage is technically another amplifier.

Mar 8, 2017 at 7:02 AM Post #37,977 of 46,514
  Ok so this is really really strange. I had the mass drop Hd 6xx recently, sold them, and just bought the 650's, and they sound quite different. Different enough for me to post about it. The hd 6xx I had, had much more bass emphasis and had a much more rolled off treble, compared to the 650's I just got which have more tight/controlled bass (not as boomy), and much more treble energy. This is good for me fortunately because I felt the Hd6xx had too strong of bass, and sounded too dark for me, but I'm really happy with the sound of these Hd 650's.

Could it be my 650's are defective then lol? Are the 650/6xx supposed to have very heavy bass? I have no clue... strange.....

Correct, the newer 650s with white drivers are less bassy than the older 650's. Still a great HP for relaxed listening and multiple genres.

Mar 8, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #37,980 of 46,514
Any recommendations for a 4-pin XLR balanced cable for the HD650?

https://www.veclan.com/engappliance_sel_one?eng_ApplianceVo.eac_id=8

They also offer adapters for $10 each.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back