Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 6, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #33,467 of 46,551

Unless you need an area heater for winter, go with SS. 
cool.gif

Project Ember doesn't get hot.

Apr 6, 2016 at 10:08 PM Post #33,468 of 46,551
Apr 6, 2016 at 10:17 PM Post #33,470 of 46,551
Ouch! My wife goes nowhere near my turntable. So glad she's not into music like me

Having a wife/girlfriend that is into music has its good and bad points, the bad being what happened but the good is that my GF has bought me HE-560 (second one, first I gave to my son), Ember and MB Bifrost, kind of hard to yell at her.

The Ember does not get real hot, Magni gets hotter, Lyr2 and Asgard2 get really hot, BH Crack is in between.

Apr 6, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #33,471 of 46,551
Having a wife/girlfriend that is into music has its good and bad points, the bad being what happened but the good is that my GF has bought me HE-560 (second one, first I gave to my son), Ember and MB Bifrost, kind of hard to yell at her.

The Ember does not get real hot, Magni gets hotter, Lyr2 and Asgard2 get really hot, BH Crack is in between.
nice!

Apr 6, 2016 at 10:57 PM Post #33,472 of 46,551
Yes, just upgraded to a better phono stage and finally an MC cart... can't wait to hear the new analog setup with the 650's. Really tempted to upgrade to an "end game" table as well and just say 'eff it' to digital for involved listening. It is convenient, but I think a good analog rig can be leaps and bounds beyond the best DACs. I'm beginning to understand the old grumpy analog audiophile syndrome... just without delving crazily into speakers. I am more than happy listening with headphones; especially the 650's.

Apr 6, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #33,473 of 46,551
Yes, just upgraded to a better phono stage and finally an MC cart... can't wait to hear the new analog setup with the 650's. Really tempted to upgrade to an "end game" table as well and just say 'eff it' to digital for involved listening. It is convenient, but I think a good analog rig can be leaps and bounds beyond the best DACs. I'm beginning to understand the old grumpy analog audiophile syndrome... just without delving crazily into speakers. I am more than happy listening with headphones; especially the 650's.

Good for you. 90% of my serious listening is with vinyl and my 650's

Apr 7, 2016 at 5:23 AM Post #33,476 of 46,551

Some of my finest musical memories involve listening to LPs and staring at album art...

Apr 7, 2016 at 5:29 AM Post #33,477 of 46,551
  Some of my finest musical memories involve listening to LPs and staring at album art...

Same here, and if you were lucky enough to get into a concept album..................nothing else before or since compares.

Apr 7, 2016 at 6:28 AM Post #33,478 of 46,551
Spent most of my weekends during college spinning LPs, owned a mobile disco business with a friend and played for dorm/lounge and parties and some special events, great gig for extra money, meeting girls and free booze.  I still have my mixer but everything else is long gone, includes most of the LP's, 3 Technics 1200 Mk2 turn tables, 2 Technics SU-V8 amps, 2 sets Technics Phase array speakers, and light boxes that I built.

The 2 LPs that my GF scratched were from back in my college days, late 70's early 80's, glad I also have those 2 LP's on CD.  I was really enjoying listening to vinyl with the HD-650 and a few of my other headphones but after the 2 scratched LP's in one week I've decided to put them back in storage and try and transfer LP's that I don't have digital versions of yet, I know they will not be as good but really don't want my GF to stress over having the LP's around for her to be tempted.

Apr 7, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #33,479 of 46,551

I don't know... I've recently spent a lot of time spinning LPs, but then going back to the same albums through the Bryston + Rega is like: oh, yeah, that's pretty clean.

The bigger problem is finding new vinyl that wasn't digitally mastered. I've purchased updated copies (re-mastered) of some records that I have from the 60s, 70s & 80s and it's pretty different sounding (e.g. Steely Dan "Aja" or Heart "Dreamboat Annie"). On some of these, they sound like the equivalents on HDTracks (I was able to do a direct compare with the Heart album, LP vs. 192/24 from HDTracks and I am convinced that they just took the same remaster and pressed new LPs. Not saying it's bad, but it's not the same sound as the original pressing - the same warmth isn't there, but there is a lot clarity on the new pressings. I like the Steven Wilson mixes for this reason: they usually include a 192/24 needle-drop from an original pressing.

On a humor note, I was working away and suddenly became aware of what I thought were S/PDIF drop-outs during playback, only to look over my shoulder and notice that I was playing an LP.
If you grew-up with vinyl, I think your brain has been conditioned to "filter out" the surface noise and some of the ticks/pops. 
L3000.gif

Apr 7, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #33,480 of 46,551

I don't know... I've recently spent a lot of time spinning LPs, but then going back to the same albums through the Bryston + Rega is like: oh, yeah, that's pretty clean.

The bigger problem is finding new vinyl that wasn't digitally mastered. I've purchased updated copies (re-mastered) of some records that I have from the 60s, 70s & 80s and it's pretty different sounding (e.g. Steely Dan "Aja" or Heart "Dreamboat Annie"). On some of these, they sound like the equivalents on HDTracks (I was able to do a direct compare with the Heart album, LP vs. 192/24 from HDTracks and I am convinced that they just took the same remaster and pressed new LPs. Not saying it's bad, but it's not the same sound as the original pressing - the same warmth isn't there, but there is a lot clarity on the new pressings. I like the Steven Wilson mixes for this reason: they usually include a 192/24 needle-drop from an original pressing.

On a humor note, I was working away and suddenly became aware of what I thought were S/PDIF drop-outs during playback, only to look over my shoulder and notice that I was playing an LP.
If you grew-up with vinyl, I think your brain has been conditioned to "filter out" the surface noise and some of the ticks/pops. 
L3000.gif

+1.  On my floor system, digital sounds very analog, with no harshness or "edge". When done right, a digital playback system can sound like pure analog without the distortions. DACs with dual mono, separate power supplies, separate analog and digital paths, impedance-matched transformers, etc. will match vinyl's SQ and more. Also, who wants to pay $40+ for  < 30 mins of music on an LP? I don't miss vinyl much on my system. To each his own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back