Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 7, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #33,481 of 46,553
I don't know... I've recently spent a lot of time spinning LPs, but then going back to the same albums through the Bryston + Rega is like: oh, yeah, that's pretty clean.

The bigger problem is finding new vinyl that wasn't digitally mastered. I've purchased updated copies (re-mastered) of some records that I have from the 60s, 70s & 80s and it's pretty different sounding (e.g. Steely Dan "Aja" or Heart "Dreamboat Annie"). On some of these, they sound like the equivalents on HDTracks (I was able to do a direct compare with the Heart album, LP vs. 192/24 from HDTracks and I am convinced that they just took the same remaster and pressed new LPs. Not saying it's bad, but it's not the same sound as the original pressing - the same warmth isn't there, but there is a lot clarity on the new pressings. I like the Steven Wilson mixes for this reason: they usually include a 192/24 needle-drop from an original pressing.

On a humor note, I was working away and suddenly became aware of what I thought were S/PDIF drop-outs during playback, only to look over my shoulder and notice that I was playing an LP.
If you grew-up with vinyl, I think your brain has been conditioned to "filter out" the surface noise and some of the ticks/pops. :L3000:  

Yeah, new vinyl can be a bit of a crapshoot, not to mention warps and pressed off center. Its a pain in the ass, but when its right, it can sound amazing

Apr 7, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #33,482 of 46,553
I would like to add, that when listening to Vinyl via the HD650, one MAY find use for a phono amp with a subsonic filter.  

My personal experience is the Sennheisers were sensitive to subsonic rumble, and they will produce audible IM distortion.  

All turntable arm and cartridge combos will produce a strong infrasonic resonance, typically in the 6 to 12 hz range.  While this in itself is not audible, it can 'trigger' audible frequencies to resonate.  

Also, any warps in the vinyl at these low frequencies can trigger the same type of IM distortion.  

Everyone's mileage may vary, but, in my case, any vinyl that wasn't perfectly flat was not really listenable via the HD650, without a 'subsonic' filter. 

With a headphone such as the HiFiman 400s, you could get by without the filter.  They aren't as susceptible to the IM distortion.  

Apr 7, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #33,483 of 46,553
  I would like to add, that when listening to Vinyl via the HD650, one MAY find use for a phono amp with a subsonic filter.  

My personal experience is the Sennheisers were sensitive to subsonic rumble, and they will produce audible IM distortion.  

All turntable arm and cartridge combos will produce a strong infrasonic resonance, typically in the 6 to 12 hz range.  While this in itself is not audible, it can 'trigger' audible frequencies to resonate.  

Also, any warps in the vinyl at these low frequencies can trigger the same type of IM distortion.  

Everyone's mileage may vary, but, in my case, any vinyl that wasn't perfectly flat was not really listenable via the HD650, without a 'subsonic' filter. 

With a headphone such as the HiFiman 400s, you could get by without the filter.  They aren't as susceptible to the IM distortion.  

It's funny, I switched to an IEC filter, from an RIAA setting, for my Moon 310LP phonostage. I found that some LPs, like Pat Barber's Companion, gave a low-bass rumble when played at modest volumes, on my sub-bass speaker (REL T7). Switching to IEC eliminated the subsonic rumble. But now I wonder whether I am missing other info with IEC. This is on my floor system, not HPs. I don't use HPs to hear vinyl.

Apr 7, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #33,486 of 46,553
Sometimes if you have drugs you don't need vinyl.
L3000.gif

Apr 8, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #33,492 of 46,553
The irony of the appreciation of the HD650 for vinyl is that they just may be the greatest headphone to cure digital fatigue and could be the answer for those who avoid digital for this reason and therefore stick with vinyl.

Apr 8, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #33,493 of 46,553
  The reason I like listening to music is because I though drinking was part of the deal, same with golf, I'm usually having a beer or two during the round and a few more after
biggrin.gif

Amen, fellow head-fi'er.

The problem I have with head-fi + drinking, especially if it's scotch and late into the evening... is I get tired, turn things off and go to bed.

An-n-n-d ... I forget to put away the 'phones... and my cats snack on the cables. I have now replaced the stock cable on every set of cans I own, including the Grados which I had to send in for re-cabling.

My fiancé thinks I do this intentionally, to justify the cost of after-market cables. 
eek.gif

Apr 8, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #33,495 of 46,553
Brainwavz in the house and installed not noticing any issue with deteriorated Sound Quality,  The ear holes are smaller so my big AZZ ears wont fit completely inside However they still sounding pretty damn good.  Will have to see if the bottom of the pad resting on the lobes becomes a fatiguing issue.  Initial impressions is they are very comfy and the foam is certainly soft 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back