Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 6, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #33,453 of 46,565
Thanks for the input all. The reason I'm interested in the Asgard 2 is because of my current Modi DAC, I figure it will pair well until I can upgrade the DAC later. I'm not too worried about future proofing right now as I'm not looking to spend more then the cost of the Asgard 2. Something like the LC is 3-4 times the cost of the Asgard so it's out of the question.
The vali2 can be had for 169.00, think you'd get better results with the 650. Asgard2 was the first amp I had with them. Average at best. Tubes are really the way to go.

Apr 6, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #33,454 of 46,565
The vali2 can be had for 169.00, think you'd get better results with the 650. Asgard2 was the first amp I had with them. Average at best. Tubes are really the way to go.

+1 on the Vali 2 and 650 pairing. However it wouldn't really be a significant upgrade from the Magni IMO.

Personally, I would save up a little extra and get the Valhalla 2 or Ember 2. Polaris if your contained to maximum of $250.

Apr 6, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #33,455 of 46,565

HD650 sounds great on the LC. That's what I'm currently running 
smile.gif
 I hear the new run will get an improved power supply so perhaps yours will be even better. 

I'm looking forward to it.  I also have AKG 701's that I think will benefit with the jump to LC.

Apr 6, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #33,458 of 46,565
I'm not that familiar with how tubes work so a tube amp makes me a bit nervous, haha

nothing to be nervous about, just follow directions and ask questions like you are doing now, many are willing to help

Unless you need an area heater for winter, go with SS. 
cool.gif

I live in Hawaii and yes tube amps can get hot but the Asgard2 gets just as hot as the Lyr2, tubes just look so much cooler
biggrin.gif

Apr 6, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #33,460 of 46,565
  Luckily, I close my eyes when I listen to my audio system....
beyersmile.png

Cool looking equipment has its advantages, when you need the wife/girlfriend approval factor it helps, I have my Ember due to the fact that you can change the color of the LED under the tube to pink, girlfriend's favorite color so she bought it.  Same with the WA7d, she liked that it looked like a piece of art but the not so great sound made her suggest selling it which I did as I agree.

Apr 6, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #33,461 of 46,565

Unless you need an area heater for winter, go with SS. 
cool.gif

A slight segue on that topic, related to the HD-650. I've finally unboxed my 30 year-old turntable, replaced some parts, and am re-discovering my old vinyl collection (along with some new stuff).

I have to say that for whatever reason, I am finding the HD-650s especially well suited to vinyl playback. Maybe it's the rich mids that work so well, especially with older records (most of my collection is original issue from the 70s and 80s).

I tried some of my other headphones, like the HD-700 and the NightHawks that I'd been listening to a lot with digital playback, and was shocked how much I preferred the 650s when listening to vinyl. Same goes for switching between my SS and tube amp. It's like tubes + vinyl + 650 is a magic combination; or maybe it's just nostalgia, who knows...

Apr 6, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #33,462 of 46,565
Let me put it this way. I listen to a lot of Beatles and 60s/70s music on regular redbook CD and rips.
Over the past several months, because they tended to be fatiguing with glare on vocals and upper mids and sometime the highs, I sold several other high priced headphones:
HD800, Abyss, HE560, TH900, LCD3F, LCD2.
What did I keep (and even bought a backup pair) because I enjoyed them tremendously without fear of wincing or cringing when I listen to my favorite music?
The Sennheiser HD650. 
And they really really scale up high with great tube equipment and high end sources (like a Pinnacle amp and EMM cdp/dac) and show their stuff with tight satisfying bass, transparent meaty mids and sweet but all-there highs.
They are so musical like great speakers with silk-dome tweeters.
Don't overlook these because of the modest price. If you are bothered by sound that is ruthlessly revealing or Hifi sounding, the 650s are just the ticket. 
But they are not Mid-Fi in any way; they really get to the heart of the music and will payoff handsomely with all the upstream quality of the food chain you feed them.
They make digital sound a lot more like great vinyl.

Apr 6, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #33,463 of 46,565

A slight segue on that topic, related to the HD-650. I've finally unboxed my 30 year-old turntable, replaced some parts, and am re-discovering my old vinyl collection (along with some new stuff).

I have to say that for whatever reason, I am finding the HD-650s especially well suited to vinyl playback. Maybe it's the rich mids that work so well, especially with older records (most of my collection is original issue from the 70s and 80s).

I tried some of my other headphones, like the HD-700 and the NightHawks that I'd been listening to a lot with digital playback, and was shocked how much I preferred the 650s when listening to vinyl. Same goes for switching between my SS and tube amp. It's like tubes + vinyl + 650 is a magic combination; or maybe it's just nostalgia, who knows...

Glad my GF didn't see this, I had 2 of my turntables and half of my vinyl collection out of storage and decided to put them back in storage after she twice was trying to change a LP and dropped it on the tone arm/cartridge, scratched the LP's badly, broke the stylus once
frown.gif

Apr 6, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #33,464 of 46,565

The 650's out of my vintage rig is heavenly. Thorens TD145->Sansui 9090->HD650's

Apr 6, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #33,465 of 46,565
Glad my GF didn't see this, I had 2 of my turntables and half of my vinyl collection out of storage and decided to put them back in storage after she twice was trying to change a LP and dropped it on the tone arm/cartridge, scratched the LP's badly, broke the stylus once :frowning2:

Ouch! My wife goes nowhere near my turntable. So glad she's not into music like me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back