Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 3, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #33,436 of 46,564
Is an LP12 ok?

Yup. Even analog casssete recordings would be fine. For digital,. High VBR or CBR mp3 or AAC is also good. FLAC or ALAC is a great format, as it is a good compromise as there is no loss of fidelity and it reduces file size in half. There is plenty of opportunity to enjoy the 650 even out of cheaper gear.

Enjoy the 650s :wink:

Apr 4, 2016 at 2:39 AM Post #33,438 of 46,564
Apr 4, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #33,440 of 46,564
+1 The only thing with ifi, the sound just keeps getting better the more component that you add, from the itube the new ican 2 SE. Together the complete stack is pretty impressive. 
Oh yeah! I heard what the itube can do and that was quite cool!

Apr 5, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #33,441 of 46,564
I was thinking of selling my HD650 with custom blue dragon cables recently, along with some other gear, in order to upgrade maybe to a LCD2. 

I think I'll keep my HD650 for now though, I just like it too much.

I'm thinking of upgrading my amp though. I'm currently just running with the original Magni/Modi stack. I don't have a whole ton of money to spend so I was thinking of upgrade the Magni to an Asgard 2. I'll probably upgrade the DAC later but for now I'll need to keep using my Modi.

Does anyone have experience with the Asgard 2 and HD650? I've read around a bit and most of the impressions I've read have been pretty positive, and I like that it has a gain switch and is moderately priced.

Another benefit is that I can pick it up locally (Canada) so I can avoid orderings directly from Schiit and having to pay shipping and import fees, making it even cheaper.

Apr 6, 2016 at 2:46 AM Post #33,442 of 46,564
@Mani ATH 87, the Asgard2 is about average with the HD-650, I would go with a Garage 1217 amp like the Polaris or if you can swing the cost the Ember, much more flexible and if you ever do get the LCD-2 these two amps will still work great with it.

FWIW I use a BH Crack for the HD-650, one of the best pairing around, Ember/HD-650 is also enjoyable and a few on this thread have that combination, Lyr2 or Ember for LCD-2 depending on tubes used.

Apr 6, 2016 at 5:45 AM Post #33,443 of 46,564
Another thought is to spend your LCD-2 money on an amp instead.  Don't forget how well the HD650 scales.

I'm not saying you shouldn't go for the Audeze, just offering the alternative in investing in your HD650's sound...

Apr 6, 2016 at 6:40 AM Post #33,444 of 46,564
  Another benefit is that I can pick it up locally (Canada) so I can avoid orderings directly from Schiit and having to pay shipping and import fees, making it even cheaper.

Headphone Bar in Vancouver? They're pretty good. I think you should shop around for an end-game amp that will accommodate almost any HP, present and future that you may own. 650 scales really well, but LCD-2 is more fussy with amping, being a planar. It's also very heavy and you will always know that you have it on your head.

Apr 6, 2016 at 7:15 AM Post #33,445 of 46,564
Valhalla 2 is supposed to be a great match, or Geek Out V2 with a balanced cable... If you'd like a more resolving sounding DAC with a great amp.

I agree with CM... planars crave current, so different gear to have them sounding their best. You may prefer the LCD-2 sound though, then amping might not be a big priority, until a couple of months later when you miss the 650's potentially.

Apr 6, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #33,446 of 46,564
  I was thinking of selling my HD650 with custom blue dragon cables recently, along with some other gear, in order to upgrade maybe to a LCD2. 

I think I'll keep my HD650 for now though, I just like it too much.

I'm thinking of upgrading my amp though. I'm currently just running with the original Magni/Modi stack. I don't have a whole ton of money to spend so I was thinking of upgrade the Magni to an Asgard 2. I'll probably upgrade the DAC later but for now I'll need to keep using my Modi.

Does anyone have experience with the Asgard 2 and HD650? I've read around a bit and most of the impressions I've read have been pretty positive, and I like that it has a gain switch and is moderately priced.

I've been running with my HD650, a Bifrost, and Asgard 2 for over a year, and the sound is subline.  I've been very happy; however, I would be remiss if I didn't tell you that yesterday I ordered a new Cavalli Liquid Carbon.

Apr 6, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #33,447 of 46,564

I've been running with my HD650, a Bifrost, and Asgard 2 for over a year, and the sound is subline.  I've been very happy; however, I would be remiss if I didn't tell you that yesterday I ordered a new Cavalli Liquid Carbon.

HD650 sounds great on the LC. That's what I'm currently running 
smile.gif
 I hear the new run will get an improved power supply so perhaps yours will be even better. 

Apr 6, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #33,448 of 46,564
Definitely build your system around the 650's. I've got or had most of the flagship, supposedly better phones but when I want just relax the 650 are my go to cans. I'd have a really nice rig if I'd have spent all that money on the proper amp/ dac

Apr 6, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #33,449 of 46,564
Thanks for the input all. The reason I'm interested in the Asgard 2 is because of my current Modi DAC, I figure it will pair well until I can upgrade the DAC later. I'm not too worried about future proofing right now as I'm not looking to spend more then the cost of the Asgard 2. Something like the LC is 3-4 times the cost of the Asgard so it's out of the question.

Apr 6, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #33,450 of 46,564
Thanks for the input all. The reason I'm interested in the Asgard 2 is because of my current Modi DAC, I figure it will pair well until I can upgrade the DAC later. I'm not too worried about future proofing right now as I'm not looking to spend more then the cost of the Asgard 2. Something like the LC is 3-4 times the cost of the Asgard so it's out of the question.

The Polaris is the same price as the Asgard 2 and supposedly has great synergy with the hd650.  Just something else to consider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back