Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
May 26, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #17,596 of 46,514
Hmm...I like the new Coldplay but find it not well recorded. None of their albums are imo

Or, maybe, it could be that Chris Martin can't hold a note.

May 26, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #17,597 of 46,514

It's not a bad recording, but it's nothing special, either.  At least the HD650s are fairly forgiving of bad recordings.  If I put on my DT990s, it would find every fault, I'm sure.

Hmmm, really?  I guess it's all about perspective and I am definitely still learning.  My experience is also limited with different phones, but I would state the converse: my "break-in" with my 650s has me seeking out recordings that to my ears are well mastered/recorded.

Seriously, there are albums in my collection that I cannot listen to with the 650s that I find tolerable or enjoyable with my Grados.

May 27, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #17,599 of 46,514

Hmmm, really?  I guess it's all about perspective and I am definitely still learning.  My experience is also limited with different phones, but I would state the converse: my "break-in" with my 650s has me seeking out recordings that to my ears are well mastered/recorded.

Seriously, there are albums in my collection that I cannot listen to with the 650s that I find tolerable or enjoyable with my Grados.

You're right, it's all relative and varies with experience and expectations.  When I got my first "good" setup (WA3 and DT880), I became so much more aware of sounds on all my albums that I didn't know existed, and this included recording imperfections.

After spending the last 5 or so years listening to my music with decent gear, I've become accustomed to bad recordings, so I'm less critical of them now.  

The HD650s are very resolving headphones, and they'll certainly elucidate tons more sounds and imperfections than $20 cheap headphones/ear buds do.  But, when compared to other really revealing "good" headphones on my same gear, the HD650s are more forgiving because they are smooth sounding.  Bright headphones are more revealing of many types of recording imperfections.

Even the Sennheiser official HD650 product description hints at them being less analytic and more forgiving to maximize listening enjoyment.

May 27, 2014 at 2:54 AM Post #17,600 of 46,514
My 650's are far easier to listen to than my Q701's. So much so the Q's are back in their box and looking for a new home. There's no real difference in detail retrieval but the delivery is much smoother and far less fatiguing.

And Coldplay are mince, imo.

May 27, 2014 at 3:14 AM Post #17,601 of 46,514
My 650's are far easier to listen to than my Q701's. So much so the Q's are back in their box and looking for a new home. There's no real difference in detail retrieval but the delivery is much smoother and far less fatiguing.

And Coldplay are mince, imo.
I sold mine aswell!

May 27, 2014 at 6:56 AM Post #17,602 of 46,514

So true., my Q701s are in a drawer at work, my HD650s are on my head.

May 27, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #17,607 of 46,514
The pm-1 is a good hp. The design and execution is top notch and some of the best out there IMO. This is impressive for a company producing it's first hp. The weight, comfort, materials and engineering of this hp is exceptional. 

They weigh slightly more than the 650, but only just. And the pm-1 offers they same level of comfort as the 650. In fact the pm-1 offers some very similar characteristics of the hd650. Both have a darker presentation with good mid bass and excellent mids. It would only be a small stretch to call the pm-1 a planar magnetic version of the hd650, with the pm-1 offering slightly better resolution and a slight tilt towards sub bass over mid bass. 

Both hp's are forgiving in nature and non fatiguing. The pm-1 images somewhat better and it's materials outclass the 650 by a good margin. It's also very forgiving of amp and does not scale as well as the 650. 

May 27, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #17,608 of 46,514
  The pm-1 is a good hp. The design and execution is top notch and some of the best out there IMO. This is impressive for a company producing it's first hp. The weight, comfort, materials and engineering of this hp is exceptional. 

They weigh slightly more than the 650, but only just. And the pm-1 offers they same level of comfort as the 650. In fact the pm-1 offers some very similar characteristics of the hd650. Both have a darker presentation with good mid bass and excellent mids. It would only be a small stretch to call the pm-1 a planar magnetic version of the hd650, with the pm-1 offering slightly better resolution and a slight tilt towards sub bass over mid bass. 

Both hp's are forgiving in nature and non fatiguing. The pm-1 images somewhat better and it's materials outclass the 650 by a good margin. It's also very forgiving of amp and does not scale as well as the 650. 

Matt, do you see yourself keeping the PM-1 over the HD650?

May 27, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #17,609 of 46,514
Dunno about Matt, but i own both and if i had to keep only one, i'd keep the HD650 over the PM1s.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back