Sennheiser HD598 vs. HD600
Sep 15, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #2 of 28
HD598 MORE FUN
HD600 LESS FUN

You'd probably like the HD600, it's just a pain to drive.

Sep 15, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #5 of 28

Quote:
HD598 MORE FUN
HD600 LESS FUN

I have BOTH.  This is a good explanation.  The HD600 is also more neutral.  

Sep 15, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #6 of 28
To me the HD-598 is just more fun to listen to and not as relaxed with it's signature (but still smooth sounding). Sure the HD-600 has better and more bass (to some), but I'd rather take the mids of the HD-598 over that. I also felt the HD-598 had much more treble than the HD-600 with stock cable. The HD-600 is good, but it just tends to put me to sleep.

I don't agree that the HD-600 has more detail with stock cable. Heck the HD-600 can barely even pick up recording hiss and is MUCH more forgiving of source quality. HD-600 certainly is no detail monster and I don't think it was ever meant to be by Sennheiser.

Soundstage of the HD-600 is probably more accurate compared to the HD-598, but it's larger on the HD-598. Not even close.

Ok, this is where it gets strange. The HD-598 could be a tad more clear, but at the same time it's not as muffled sounding as the HD-600. HD-600 was very, very slightly muffled sounding. I don't know why. For me, it took specific music to tell the difference in the sound clarity. The HD-600 does improve with better (cheap) DIY cables.

Neither of all 3 are better than the others. Just need to find the one that's best for your preferences and music.

I find the HD-650 far better than the HD-600 for vocals, but I do prefer the more neutral sounding HD-600. Not over the HD-598 though.

A recabled HD-598 really makes it pointless to own the HD-600 for ME. Wasn't worth the extra $125 to me. HD-600 is a good headphone though.

BTW I could never EVER EVER describe the HD-598, HD-600 or HD-650 as being "crystal clear". Don't think they're meant to be. That's more like AKGs/Beyers area.

HD-598 makes me believe that the old Sennheiser "veil" is now a thing of the past. Sennheiser should really work on the sound clarity thing.

Despite loving the HD-598 it could be a lot more clear sounding for the price. It does clear up with better cables. I use Belden 1192A on mine.

Sep 15, 2011 at 2:52 AM Post #7 of 28
u guys forgot to mention that HD598 looks beautiful compared to dark engineer kinda look on HD600.

i was thinkin of selling my HD600 and getting something else as its very hard to drive and i dont have budget for amps anymore.

Sep 15, 2011 at 3:50 AM Post #8 of 28
To my experience, HD 598 sound more enjoyable for general listening, especially long session. Wider sound stage and nice trebles. Way easier to drive, even with a E7, which surprised me greatly. Been listening to it every time i go to a headphone store to test out new toys. Agree on the problem that HD 600 is hard to be driven. Definitely got for HD 598 as there is still changes to go for a good amp. 

This thread makes me curious to listen to the HD 598 again. Shall prior this and listen to it on my next visit to the stores! 

Sep 15, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #9 of 28
I just recently got the 600's and was surprise by how well the sound upgrades with amp from portable to the Matrix. Still a great sound, perfect for working conditions, but who has a 600 dollar amp for a two hundred dollar pair of headphones? If you've got six to smack down for an amp, go spend some money on better headphones. Curious myself now to hear the 598. Other reviews I've seen favor the 600's for neutrality and clarity.

Jul 4, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #10 of 28
Any clues on cables for the HD598 under $50?
To me the HD-598 is just more fun to listen to and not as relaxed with it's signature (but still smooth sounding). Sure the HD-600 has better and more bass (to some), but I'd rather take the mids of the HD-598 over that. I also felt the HD-598 had much more treble than the HD-600 with stock cable. The HD-600 is good, but it just tends to put me to sleep.

I don't agree that the HD-600 has more detail with stock cable. Heck the HD-600 can barely even pick up recording hiss and is MUCH more forgiving of source quality. HD-600 certainly is no detail monster and I don't think it was ever meant to be by Sennheiser.

Soundstage of the HD-600 is probably more accurate compared to the HD-598, but it's larger on the HD-598. Not even close.

Ok, this is where it gets strange. The HD-598 could be a tad more clear, but at the same time it's not as muffled sounding as the HD-600. HD-600 was very, very slightly muffled sounding. I don't know why. For me, it took specific music to tell the difference in the sound clarity. The HD-600 does improve with better (cheap) DIY cables.

Neither of all 3 are better than the others. Just need to find the one that's best for your preferences and music.

I find the HD-650 far better than the HD-600 for vocals, but I do prefer the more neutral sounding HD-600. Not over the HD-598 though.

A recabled HD-598 really makes it pointless to own the HD-600 for ME. Wasn't worth the extra $125 to me. HD-600 is a good headphone though.

BTW I could never EVER EVER describe the HD-598, HD-600 or HD-650 as being "crystal clear". Don't think they're meant to be. That's more like AKGs/Beyers area.

HD-598 makes me believe that the old Sennheiser "veil" is now a thing of the past. Sennheiser should really work on the sound clarity thing.

Despite loving the HD-598 it could be a lot more clear sounding for the price. It does clear up with better cables. I use Belden 1192A on mine.

Jul 4, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #11 of 28
I love my 598, I only have 2 problems with it. 

1. Being the replacement cable. The stock cable is a 2.5 TRRS to 1/4 TRS. No companies I found make a replacement/upgrade for it. 

2. After about 1 year they didn't have near as much clamping force as when I bought them. 

I would say that the build quality of the 598 is better. 600's just felt cheap and non Sennheiser when I had them. Either way I'm sure you will be happy. 

Happy Listening!

Jul 4, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #12 of 28
There's no other subject where I would recommend a cable with all its voodoo.  However, the HD600 really needs a Cardas cable.  It becomes a different headphone altogether - very much like a fine Grado with loads of soundstage: punchy deep bass, detailed and airy highs with mids to die for.  The same thing happens to an HD580, too.  They're what caused all the cable madness in the beginning.

The HD598 is not a new phone.  It's the 595 with window dressing.  The HD595 has always been a good, cheap entry-level experience to Sennheiser without needing a lot of $$ for an amp.  (BTW, the HD580/HD600 caused the CMoy and the dedicated headphone amplifier business, too.)

Feb 10, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #13 of 28
I have a "new" HD600 (silver screens) and I just love it's sound character. I also find it incredibly detailed with no grain whatsoever, and incredibly easy to drive. I do not hear any veiling which was apparent with the older 600's in the past. Now I have not listened to an HD598, however considering that the 600's have been around for many, many years and have received so many accolades from most who have listed to or own them, I would choose them over the 598's.

Also the fact that the 600's are built in Ireland whereas the 598's are built in China, and I feel that item's built in China are more of a questionable quality (no China bashing intended, just based on my experiences), I would stick with the 600's. I also feel that the materials used in the 600's are of better quality than the 598's and the 600's even come with a decent foam-lined box to store them in. 

Now if you can grab a 598 for much less then the price of a 600 then go for it, but for sound refinement and build quality it's the HD600!

Cheers.

Feb 15, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #14 of 28
It's funny that some describe the 600 as less fun than the 598, because I absolutely love my 598s, but after listening to the 600s, they're just way more interesting, yet neutral and offer much better clarity, timbre, and less congestion. I think the 600s put the mids back where they truly belong, and there's enough detail that I don't hear the veil. I would actually say the 598s are more veiled and less refined. It's so difficult not to smile when I'm listening through the 600s. 

I use an audinst hud-mx1 amp/dac.

Feb 17, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #15 of 28
  I love my 598, I only have 2 problems with it. 

1. Being the replacement cable. The stock cable is a 2.5 TRRS to 1/4 TRS. No companies I found make a replacement/upgrade for it. 

2. After about 1 year they didn't have near as much clamping force as when I bought them. 

I would say that the build quality of the 598 is better. 600's just felt cheap and non Sennheiser when I had them. Either way I'm sure you will be happy. 

Happy Listening!

Concerning the clamping force, I'm not so sure this is an issue concerning sound quality with the 598s as I don't remember them clamping much to begin with. I would think they're more comfortable with less clamp, unless you're wanting to dance while listening with them, which after a year, I can still do :).

I can't agree with the 598s build quality being better. They're lighter, made of plastic, and the earcups swivel quite easily. The 600s are slightly heavier with earcups that swivel with resistance, as if they won't accidentally get twisted too far. They're also made with carbon fiber, which feels more solid than 598 plastic.The headband adjustment clicks satisfyingly but doesn't just give way to pushing or pulling as much as the 598s. Also, I can actually hold the 600's earcups while adjusting the headband notches without worrying. I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that with the 598s.

The 598 headband cushion strip, though comfortable, still looks & feels sort of cheap. The 600 headband cushions are plump and feel more cushioned but more firm too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back