Sennheiser HD598 vs. HD600
Feb 16, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #16 of 28
HD598 MORE FUN
HD600 LESS FUN

You'd probably like the HD600, it's just a pain to drive.

I don't get these type of comments about the hd598. They are the most dull and boring set of headphones I have ever heard yet so many people gush over them here. Not elsewhere though. Check out the review on What hi-fi which I agree with 100%:

http://www.whathifi.com/sennheiser/hd598/review

Also Tyll from innerfidelity, who I think is the best headphone reviewer out there, has the hd600 on his Wall of Fame but he doesn't think it's worth his time or effort to review the hd598. He has said in the past that he won't bother reviewing cans that are good but not really good. That just about says it all.

Feb 16, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #17 of 28
I own the HD 598 and the HD 580 (with the updated drivers) and both of these cans are fantastic. They do sound very different as already stated - so thats definitely a preference thing. Taking  price into consideration, you cant go wrong with either of them. If price is of no concern, then I guess the HD 600 are the "better" alternative all around.

Jul 22, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #20 of 28
  It means that the source doesn't have to be the best quality, there could be EMI noise in the recording equipment if it's not too good of a studio and you wouldn't notice that much, etc.

This means that HD600 sounds better with low quality audio tracks compared to 598 ?

Then 598 is more analytic ?

Jul 22, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #21 of 28
  This means that HD600 sounds better with low quality audio tracks compared to 598 ?

Then 598 is more analytic ?

You could say that. The 598s are brighter sounding, and some have said a little lacking in the low end. The HD600s seem to be more balanced to me. I have personally only listened to 598s briefly and they seem brighter to me

Jul 23, 2015 at 4:10 AM Post #22 of 28
  You could say that. The 598s are brighter sounding, and some have said a little lacking in the low end. The HD600s seem to be more balanced to me. I have personally only listened to 598s briefly and they seem brighter to me

Ok but the 598 sounds worst with lose audio track compared to HD600 ?
598 is more analytic tha 600 ? ( show more audio defects ? )

Jul 23, 2015 at 4:46 AM Post #23 of 28
The HD 598 are way brighter, more in your face, with punchy bass and severe roll off in the lower octaves (i.e. they don't extend all that well) and the driver starts to rattle, when u turn up the volume to a certain level. I had 2 HD 598s and both showed this behavior. The HD 600 are way more natural sounding with better timbre, super addicting mid-range, better bass extension and also better comfort.

Regarding the "analytical" side of things: neither are detail monsters. Yes, the HD 598 are brighter, but when it comes to micro detail I didn't find them to be any better than the HD 600. Still they do resolve well. But if u want a coherent, natural sounding pair of cans, there is no way around the HD 600, at least for me imo.

Feb 8, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #25 of 28
Amazon US is now selling the HD 600 for $400 but that includes a $150 Amazon gift card, so the price of the HD 600 ends up being $250 for those that will eventually use the gift card for other stuff on Amazon.  This deal has got me thinking upgrade.

To anyone who owns or has owned both the HD 598 and HD 600, is the 600 a significant improvement in SQ over the 598, worth the extra $100?  What does the 600 do better than the 598 and what, if anything, does the 598 do better?  Which do you prefer and why?  Also, do you think the Fiio E10K, recommended for cans up to 150 ohms, will be enough to drive the 600s rated at 300 ohms, and will it do them justice in terms of SQ?

I've read all the posts in this thread.  Hoping I can get some new or additional info, maybe from some new folks who've tried both since these older posts were made.

Apr 1, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #26 of 28
 I'm looking for a pair of headphones in this very price range (which would be about $200 to $350 where I live). They're for sitting at home listening to music, probably naked straight into the motherboard sound card (decent 250 ohm onboard card) so I don't need any ANC or anything and these two Sennheisers seems like good choices. I have read the stuff you guys have written here. I have a few questions if anyone feel like helping out:

1: I have read about some cracking issue with the HD598, is this a worry? They're for home use, nothing else.
2: I kinda dig instrument separation and detail (a bit of a detail connoseur), considering the difference in price, how do these compare (I read what you guys wrote but I get mixed signals :D )
3: I'm leaning towards the 598 to save some money, but several people mention the bass is a bit lacking. Now I am no bass nerd but like anybody I like a quality bass. For reference: for portable I use DUNU-1000 with a rockboxed DX50 and I feel that the sound there is quite neutral, I eq in a little bit of bass and it's great to me.. how would the bass signature compare in these two to say that setup?
4: I read about recabling and I am completely new to it: should I recable them after I buy them (any of them)? If so, can anyone tell me about how that works, like, is there a good value benchmark cable a guy who is new to these things can easily get and use?
5: or do you have any other suggestions for headphones in this price range (say $200-300)?

Thanks a lot /opis

Apr 1, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #27 of 28
I don't get these type of comments about the hd598. They are the most dull and boring set of headphones I have ever heard yet so many people gush over them here. Not elsewhere though. Check out the review on What hi-fi which I agree with 100%:

http://www.whathifi.com/sennheiser/hd598/review

Also Tyll from innerfidelity, who I think is the best headphone reviewer out there, has the hd600 on his Wall of Fame but he doesn't think it's worth his time or effort to review the hd598. He has said in the past that he won't bother reviewing cans that are good but not really good. That just about says it all.

I agree, as someone who has owned both for an extended period and don't rate the HD600 half as highly as most people, I don't think the 598s come even close to the 600s, certainly not enough to justify how close they can be in MSRP.

May 11, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #28 of 28
I own both the HD 598 and the HD 600. Build wise, they are both largely plastic headphones, but both feel very sturdy and well made. With care, they would both last a long time.

Comfort wise, they HD 600 clamps tighter out of the box. I have a slightly larger than average head, so I found it a little uncomfortable initially, however the headphone softened a bit over time. The HD 598 I found very comfortable right out of the box. This will obviously depend on your head size of course.

Sounds wise, the HD 600 is incredibly clean and detailed and has incredibly good separation. It's a very neutral sounding headphone. The HD 598 has less separation (slightly) and a slightly warmer sound with a bigger sound stage. The midrange is ever so slightly brighter.

I personally prefer the sound of the HD 598. I find it more interesting and some manages to inject more musicality into my music. The HD 600 can at times come across a little cold and sterile to me. They are both fantastic headphones though and you couldn't go wrong either way. You really need to listen to both side by side and see which you like best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back