Sennheiser HD598 [Review]
Nov 20, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #46 of 68
How come nobody has pointed out that you feel like you borrowed these off some billionaire's yacht? Seriously... that's what they look like.

Anyway, I found the HD598 to sound a little better than my AKG's, more revealing, yet they also sounded thick and I just didn't get used to the sound... though they were quite a bit more comfortable. I gave 'em to my boss and he likes 'em.

Nov 20, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #47 of 68
I'll see if I could demo the HD25-II somewhere.  But thanks, its great to know there is something more comfortable than the Grados with almost the same type of sound.

Quote:
They are the "Grado" Sennheiser- I have both SR80i and HD25-II and in terms of up-frontness they are almost the same, it's just that the HD25-II has more mid bass most likely due to its closed nature. Try to audition them somehow.

Dec 11, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #51 of 68
Yes, if you have extra money for amp, get a good one like Little dot 1+ tube hybrid or UHA-4, or better a HD600 with good amp
beyersmile.png

Dec 16, 2011 at 6:08 AM Post #52 of 68
Argh, I'm really torn between the 558, 598, and seeing if I should look at something else.  I'm looking for stuff in the $100-200 range.  I was thinking at first it'd be the 558 just from some of the reviews, but now I'm getting swayed over to the 598.

The thing I worry about is the bass question though.  I'm not sure if I'd consider myself a basshead.  I listen to all kinds of modern/alternative music, electronic stuff, and I like to listen to some occasional dubstep, but not all the time.  Eh, maybe I'm worrying about it too much.  I'm coming from some 535 that I've just had the cable flake out on me, and even though I could just replace that, I'll take that as a suggestion to get a new pair of phones for the decade.  I didn't even realize the 535s were 150 ohms until researching this tonight, I never tried them with an amp.

Which brings me to more of an amp question, I may or may not get one for the new headphones.  Mostly the headphones will be used with my X-fi card.  If I got a DAC/Amp, then I'd be bypassing the card for the audio, right?  I'd hate to lose the use of my X-fi's EQ settings and maybe the crystalizer.  Do you guys just end up using your audio player app's EQ for the EQ?  Is the sound a lot cleaner than if I just used an amp connected to the X-fi?

Dec 16, 2011 at 7:15 AM Post #53 of 68

Quote:
I'll see if I could demo the HD25-II somewhere.  But thanks, its great to know there is something more comfortable than the Grados with almost the same type of sound.

you would try the Alessandro MS-1 which are like a better sr80i while maintaining the same-ish sound signature but i think the same comfort. also if you really like the grado sound, you could also upgrade the earpads to L-crush pads  or be stylin and get the hd414 replacement pads :)
also, i believe that hd558 has more bass body than the hd598 so i would go with that plus it still has the comfort of the sennheiser hd 5x8 series.

Dec 16, 2011 at 7:49 AM Post #54 of 68
bitgod- you can combine the two and have the soundcard as your link between the source  - winamp or w/e and then go via the card to an amp and dac.that way you can still use the fun options of the card- i used that option with my xonar card -

i use the 558s modded to the 598s using the foam mod mentioned elsewhere (555 foam mod)

as to a post ealier in the thread reguarding the sr80 .yeah the 598s are in my opinion a very nice upgrade
i have sr60s and i would say that prior to getting my BD 880s the headtime they have outweighs the grados 2/3 or more
i do use the grados for rock and also for portable as well - theyre still awsome but comfort and just creamyness (a current head-fi llove word) actually make that frothiness just make me pick them up more.

Jan 18, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #55 of 68

Thanks for the excellent review.  I just purchased the HD598 from VM Innovations on eBay at a great price.  I cannot wait to get them.  This is my first pair of headphones since the Sennheiser HD400s I had in the late 70's/early 80's.  I use a pair of Shure e3 IEMs when I travel so these are for home use only.  I'll be running them off my newly acquired Citypulse DA7.2xII DAC / headphone amp.

I have not had a chance to hear any headphones but are buying these based upon exhaustive online research.

Others considered were Grado 125i, Audio Technica ATH-M50s & ATH-AD700, KRK Systems KNS 8400, Sony MDR-XB700, and Sennheiser HD518 & HD558.

Martin 

Aug 15, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #57 of 68
Quote:
HD598's have mostly mid-bass, very little sub-bass. And the mid-bass is fairly neutral.

Very best,

This was my impression as well.  If the HD598s had just a bit more sub bass, they would have been near perfect to my ears.  I still say the 598's soundstage is the most realistic soundstage I have ever heard in a headphone.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back