Sennheiser HD598 [Review]
Nov 7, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #31 of 68
Hey,

I recently auditioned them both and I'll say that the difference between HD598 and HD600 is in scalability. If you have or plan to have a decent DAC+amlifier setup then HD600 is a better choice while HD598 plays well when driven from most laptops and DAPs. In my opinion they are both great headphones at the given price point though obviously HD600 will take you higher.

Why do you intend to swap the cable? Both of these cans have decent cables that should upgraded only after the rest of the chain has been maxed out.

Sound wise- I would rate the HD598 as a bit "livelier" though as every coloration it will work with some records and ruin others. HD600 on the other hand is really neutral, provided that the rest of the signal chain shares the same qualities. Bass quantity wise they seemed more the same than different.

Nov 7, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #32 of 68

Quote:
Hey,

I recently auditioned them both and I'll say that the difference between HD598 and HD600 is in scalability. If you have or plan to have a decent DAC+amlifier setup then HD600 is a better choice while HD598 plays well when driven from most laptops and DAPs. In my opinion they are both great headphones at the given price point though obviously HD600 will take you higher.

Why do you intend to swap the cable? Both of these cans have decent cables that should upgraded only after the rest of the chain has been maxed out.

Sound wise- I would rate the HD598 as a bit "livelier" though as every coloration it will work with some records and ruin others. HD600 on the other hand is really neutral, provided that the rest of the signal chain shares the same qualities. Bass quantity wise they seemed more the same than different.

Hi RudeWolf,

thanks for the feedback. the reviewer mentioned in one of the subsequent posts that changing the stock cable to a copper cable, might give the 600 a warmer sound.

The point about amplification is a very important one. It's not just that the HD600 is about $100 more expensive, but that at 300 Ohm, I would have to get a desktop amplifier - although I do have a Hi-Fi set up in the living room. At 50 Ohms, the HD598 would be very easy to drive without an amp and even if I do get an amp later on, I read that the HD598 benefits very well from it.

So effectively getting the 598 would be about $300 to $400 or more cheaper than the HD600.

Nov 7, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #33 of 68
Pardon me, but what metal actually lurks beneath the isolation of HD600 cable? I'm pretty sure that it's copper. Regarding the cable swap I still stand by my earlier statement- it should be the last thing you upgrade. And speaking of amplification- you will need a DAC to really benefit from the amplification, otherwise you will end up amplifying all the crud that comes from the headphone jack of your source.

If that scares you one bit, then pull the trigger on HD598 and be done with it. It's a great headphone and most likely you will enjoy it. Also keep in mind that HD598 and HD600 have different impedance therefore they may need different amps.

Nov 7, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #34 of 68
Pardon me, but what metal actually lurks beneath the isolation of HD600 cable? I'm pretty sure that it's copper. Regarding the cable swap I still stand by my earlier statement- it should be the last thing you upgrade. And speaking of amplification- you will need a DAC to really benefit from the amplification, otherwise you will end up amplifying all the crud that comes from the headphone jack of your source.

If that scares you one bit, then pull the trigger on HD598 and be done with it. It's a great headphone and most likely you will enjoy it. Also keep in mind that HD598 and HD600 have different impedance therefore they may need different amps.

Ok, ok. I won't touch the cable! :D

Thanks for stating your opinion clear and simple and it is looking increasingly like the HD-598. There are so many favourable reviews, it's easy to drive and I wouldn't HAVE to get an amp and DAC.

Overall it seems like a very good place to start and if I do want to get more serious from there, I'll have a good reference point.

Nov 7, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #35 of 68
Good choice. I have the 598s and they're wonderful. You can drive them fine from an iPhone or iPod or whatnot, but the volume will need to be cranked. I typically run mine at around 8- - 90% when un-amped through my iPhone. But they really come alive with a good amp. I have the Fiio E7/E9 combo and it takes the cans to a whole new level.

Nov 20, 2011 at 6:34 AM Post #36 of 68
Coming from an HD 280 Pro, I made a thread asking for a good upgrade.  And while the HD 598 were ruled out as an option, I keep wanting to come back to it thinking it might be a better (and more comfortable) upgrade to the HD 280 Pro.  I listen to primarily metal and rock (soft, alternative, indie, etc.), as well as electronic (Daft Punk) and industrial (Rammstein, Hybrid, etc.), and classical as well.  I was recommended Grado's SR80i.  Should I go with the SR80i still or get the HD 598?  I want something that is more "lively" than the HD 280 Pros.  Plus I want something with a little more mid bass as well as low bass.  What would you guys recommend me get?  The Grados or the HD 598?

Nov 20, 2011 at 7:21 AM Post #37 of 68
Why not HD25-II? Grado might excel with rock but for industrial one needs good low end. HD598 might work though again I'm a bit unsure about the bass.

Nov 20, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #38 of 68
Does HD 598 have any mid-bass to it? 

I think prefer something more around-the-year even though I've yet to try the Grados.  The HD280 is a great phone, with amazing low-bass.  My only issues with it is that its slightly a more over-the-ear which squeezes the head and grows to be fatiguing after a few hours of use.  The other issue I had is that its not as "lively" of a headphone like I'd like it to be.

Nov 20, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #39 of 68

Quote:
Does HD 598 have any mid-bass to it? 

I think prefer something more around-the-year even though I've yet to try the Grados.  The HD280 is a great phone, with amazing low-bass.  My only issues with it is that its slightly a more over-the-ear which squeezes the head and grows to be fatiguing after a few hours of use.  The other issue I had is that its not as "lively" of a headphone like I'd like it to be.

HD598's have mostly mid-bass, very little sub-bass. And the mid-bass is fairly neutral.

Very best,

Nov 20, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #42 of 68
They are fairly different. I was thinking that you might need something with more bass quantity like the said HD25-II. To be honest I don't know any open headphones with large bass quantity at that price range.

Quote:
Would they be a good alternatives to Grados?

Nov 20, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #43 of 68

Quote:
Yeap. More comfortable to wear too.

Very best,

Thanks!!!

Originally Posted by RudeWolf

They are fairly different. I was thinking that you might need something with more bass quantity like the said HD25-II. To be honest I don't know any open headphones with large bass quantity at that price range.

I want something that would be more lively than the HD 280 Pros.  Something with more mid bass and that doesn't really sound laid back.  I will look into the HD25-II though, as they seem like they would be great for portability.

Nov 20, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #44 of 68
They are the "Grado" Sennheiser- I have both SR80i and HD25-II and in terms of up-frontness they are almost the same, it's just that the HD25-II has more mid bass most likely due to its closed nature. Try to audition them somehow.

Quote:
I want something that would be more lively than the HD 280 Pros.  Something with more mid bass and that doesn't really sound laid back.  I will look into the HD25-II though, as they seem like they would be great for portability.

Nov 20, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #45 of 68
I auditioned these the other day and they looked and sounded great. It has great unique look and the addictive sound signature of Sennheiser.  Unfortunately like many of their products, it has a very cheap plastic feel to them.  I really wouldnt mind some metal and some added weight on their headphones to increase durability.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back