Sennheiser HD598 [Review]
Oct 5, 2011 at 4:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 68

throzen0303

100+ Head-Fier
I thought I uploaded this few months back, but turns out I didn't....fail....

[size=14.0pt]Sennheiser HD598[/size]

Transducer principle
dynamic, open
Ear coupling
circumaural
Frequency response
12 – 38500 Hz
THD, total harmonic distortion
< 0.1 % (1 kHz/100 dB SPL)
Sound pressure level (SPL)
112 dB
Impedance
50 Ω
Cable length
3 m OFC single -sided, exchangeable
Jack plug
6.3 mm
Weight
270 g

[size=14.0pt]Source:[/size]
WAV/APE/FLAC/some 320k MP3
Bravo V1 EH6922

[size=14.0pt]Initial Impression:[/size]

Right out of the box, I can feel that this is a quality product. The appearance really attracts me, the mock wood around the vents and the padding along with the color, feels like what Sennheiser claim – a luxury European sedan. The detachable cable is a good thing, but on the other hand I don’t see any aftermarket cables for the 598s, because it’s a smaller size jack so it will only fit the original cable. Also this comes with a 1/4 plug which is good for most of us audiophiles with our headphone amps.
        The comfort of the HD598 is great, I think this is one of the most comfortable pair of headphones I ever owned along with the HD600, the reason being this headphone is really light, and the weight is evenly distributed around your head, so it is really comfortable for long term listening. The clamping force is just about right, the velour pads are fantastic and they won’t make you sweat like the normal leather pads.

[size=14.0pt]Bass:[/size]
        The HD598’s bass is good for people who are looking for just the “right” amount of bass, it’s not too punchy nor it’s lacking any bass. The bass extension is great with a good amount of bass detail, not as detailed as the Ultrasone PRO750, so I think is good for average listener which want a natural feeling bass. The impact of them is not what you call punchy, is sort of…just there, you can feel it, but you won’t remember them, but it does have a good weight to it. The good thing about phones like the HD598, is they won’t drown out everything else like *cough* Beats or create a V-shaped sound.

[size=14.0pt]Mids:[/size]
      Right up to the point, the mids. I just thought of a really great product that sounds like the HD598 – The Westone 4. The HD598’s mids has a hint of forwardness and some bit of warmth, just a few step away from the natural HD600. Since I am using the little Bravo V1 tube amp, which is drives the 598 pretty well since they are only 50ohms, the mids sounded very smooth and makes you want to sit down and enjoy the music.

[size=14.0pt]Treble:[/size]
        Like I said up there, this really does sound similar to the Westone 4, the highs have great detail(still not on par with the PRO750 or Westone 4), the chirpiness of the treble doesn’t give you any hearing fatigue and just like the Westone 4, the clarity is just all right, but I think the engineer did this on purpose so you won’t gain hearing fatigue. Treble detail is great, instrument separation is well above average. For those of you folks out there who can’t stand sibilance, good news, the HD598 dampers the sibilance very well, but it might be still noticeable on some tracks.

[size=14.0pt]Soundstage:[/size]
        The soundstage is what I expect for standard as an open headphone. The HD598 has a wide presentation with a decent amount of depth, but it’s lacking a bit of height in my mind. But the amount of detail and different level the 598 can reproduce is astonishing for the price(street price $250-300 online).

Final thoughts:
        The Sennheiser HD598 is really a bargain, you get the sound signature of the westone 4, quality almost on par with HD600, superb level of comfort, fantastic build quality, astonishing soundstage for such a low amount of money(relatively). I would recommend this headphone for anyone who wants a pair of open back headphones that does everything, and this headphone really sound good on nearly everything you play, truly a favorite. Note that this is pretty much for home use only, due to the fact this has a 3 meters cable.

Headband still nice and strong, no crack like what people were saying.

Oct 6, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #2 of 68
Nice review!  Sennheiser really created a winner in the HD598.  I see you have the HD600 according to the photos, how you find it compared to the HD598?

Oct 6, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #3 of 68

Quote:

[size=14.0pt]Bass:[/size]
        The HD598’s bass is good for people who are looking for just the “right” amount of bass, it’s not too punchy nor it’s lacking any bass. The bass extension is great with a good amount of bass detail, not as detailed as the Ultrasone PRO750, so I think is good for average listener which want a natural feeling bass. 

I highly agree with this. 
For bassy stuff, i use my ultrasones. When im relaxing, i use my 598's. Two different cans for different moods. 
Nice review! 

Oct 6, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #4 of 68

Quote:
Nice review!  Sennheiser really created a winner in the HD598.  I see you have the HD600 according to the photos, how you find it compared to the HD598?

Some people might find the HD598/600 boring, they share a similar sound, but HD600 is noticeably more natural of the two, and
the HD600 is worth the extra money, with many options to change the cable and stuff, if you want a warmer HD600, get some 
better copper cable since the stock HD600 cable feels kind of cheap to me, but its good enough.

Oct 6, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #9 of 68
Nice review of the HD 598, throzen0303! Glad you like them! 
wink_face.gif

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Oct 11, 2011 at 6:53 AM Post #11 of 68

Quote:
would this be a good headphone for in the office? - we 're sharing the same space-
worried about the fact my co-workers could hear the music..

All open headphones find the office workplace challenging unless you work in a pretty
noisy, liberated office where people often talk loudly and blare their own music.

Even then, their noise will spoil your listening experience.

Oct 12, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #12 of 68

Quote:
Could you please elaborate? Thanks! 

Sorry didn't go on for a couple days due to my amount of work, anyways,
the SR80 is more entry level headphones with a small soundstange like most grados,
I haven't auditioned a pair of SR80s for a long long time maybe a year or so? so I couldn't
give much comparison, but from my memory, the 598s are overall huge step up from a SR80.
If you have a chance to try it in a meet or in a store with proper amp and DAC, it will be fantastic,
I used my 598 on a KECES DA-151 USB DAC and a little dot 1+(good for low impedance phones),
sounds absolutely fantastic, if you want a HD600, you would need Little dot 3 to drive it, since OLT amps
are good for high impedance phones.

Oct 13, 2011 at 8:12 AM Post #13 of 68
Few days ago I tried the HD598 and HD600 driven by a SPL Phonitor and fed by some Rotel CD player. Of course that they were completely different from the Grado sound, but I would not call them immensely better. Sure, Grado is up close, but that basically negates any possible soundstage. In any case, I would not hesitate much to buy them, for me they seem like a good sidegrade from Grado signature. Not to mention the comfort, hehe.

Quote:
Sorry didn't go on for a couple days due to my amount of work, anyways,
the SR80 is more entry level headphones with a small soundstange like most grados,
I haven't auditioned a pair of SR80s for a long long time maybe a year or so? so I couldn't
give much comparison, but from my memory, the 598s are overall huge step up from a SR80.
If you have a chance to try it in a meet or in a store with proper amp and DAC, it will be fantastic,
I used my 598 on a KECES DA-151 USB DAC and a little dot 1+(good for low impedance phones),
sounds absolutely fantastic, if you want a HD600, you would need Little dot 3 to drive it, since OLT amps
are good for high impedance phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back