Sennheiser HD598 or 600?
Apr 6, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #2 of 53
With the E7, the HD-598 would be better. I don't think the HD-600 would be worth getting without a full desktop amp.

The HD-600 might still sound good out of an E7, but I wouldn't suggest it.

For those that do have an amp and are curious, I find the HD-600 better overall in many areas, but it doesn't have the forward mids of the HD-598 and might be less fun to listen to for some music. My HD-600 seems a tad more clear too and has more bass. I don't even want to compare the two since I like both a lot.

I do also find the HD-600 far more laid-back and the HD-598 being much brighter, but only slightly.

I do prefer the huge soundstage of the HD-598 though. It's also better for gaming I've found.

Apr 8, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #4 of 53
E5/E7 cannot handle HD600, not even as a joke.
At max volume, you get very quiet sound.  Even headphones under $50 can rip HD600 apart like that.
Desktop amp mandatory.

Apr 8, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #6 of 53

Quote:
How is the 598 unamped?  I just got one and don't intend to buy an amp.

Try it.  If you like it w/o then you are fine.  The last thing you want to do is hear it amped and notice a difference.  Then there goes your wallet.

Apr 10, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #7 of 53
HD598 needs a proper SS or hybrid amp and decent DAC to sound good. I don't know why people keep thinking that only high impedance headphones need a proper amp... as if sheer sound pressure level is the only thing that matters. On my AMB y2 / M3 combo the HD598 sounds borderline phenomenal.

Apr 10, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #8 of 53
oh *bleep*

I have no amp and can't afford one for some time.  
confused_face.gif

Apr 10, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #9 of 53
Quote:
HD598 needs a proper SS or hybrid amp and decent DAC to sound good. I don't know why people keep thinking that only high impedance headphones need a proper amp... as if sheer sound pressure level is the only thing that matters. On my AMB y2 / M3 combo the HD598 sounds borderline phenomenal.

I disagree, its not that the HD598 don't benefit from amplification it does.  It however does not require it to sound good, as they are easily driven by portable sources.

Apr 10, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #11 of 53
I wouldn't say easily. With my Ipod Touch I need to raise the volume to nearly 90%!
Honestly, I think using a TINY portable device such as a fuze, clip or shuffle would be a bad idea.
With those, an E5 would help even.

I use my HD-598 with my Ipod touch without an amp sometimes and it doesn't sound horrible at all and quite good.
I think the HD-598 does deserve a good amp though.

Best advice I can give is that instead of using it ampless, at least fork over the extra $25 and get an E5. Far better than ampless.

Quote:
I disagree, its not that the HD598 don't benefit from amplification they do.  They however do not require it to sound good, as they are easily driven by portable sources.

Apr 10, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #12 of 53
Cheers.  Don't really want to get a E5 atm because I look to be getting the e7/e9 combo as soon as able.  I am still enjoying my Ultrasone so when I am bored of it, I'll hopefully have enough money to get the fiio to play with my 598 till then. 

Apr 13, 2011 at 8:18 AM Post #13 of 53

Quote:
I disagree, its not that the HD598 don't benefit from amplification they do.  They however do not require it to sound good, as they are easily driven by portable sources.

Benefit is a bit of an understatement. I first used my HD598 on a Nuforce UDAC 2, compared to the M³ I mainly use to drive these cans now the sound is flat and lifeless. The difference is like between night and day, and I'm not one of these guys who gets poetic about the holographic soundstage of a power cable. I thought the UDAC 2 sounded pretty good at the time though. I definitely agree with Anaxilus about ignorance being bliss here, I definitely don't want to hear a β22 amp or Senn HD800s 
atsmile.gif

Apr 13, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #14 of 53
Which one is better?
I have an E7 amp and I'm not buying a new amp soon (although I may buy the E9 in the future). 

http://www.headfonia.com/hd600-and-hd598-comparison/

I've already read this, but I want to hear more feedback.

No brainer....HD600s. Next to the HD800s, they are my favourite Sennheiser headphones. I would recommend the Asgard on a budget....if not a budget, then the B22. :evil:

May 4, 2011 at 5:01 AM Post #15 of 53
After some hesitation I ordered HD 598.
Spent a week with them, returning today.
HD 598 are 'nice' looking, they sound better than Koss PortaPro and, while unamped, they are at least as good as any phones I have. When amped, HD 598 are even better, and clearly better than my lesser phones. They are possibly on a par with DT 770 Pro (250), but still nowhere near K 701 or DT 880/600('05). But of course you cannot really use the last three unamped at all.
So HD 598 are really good unamped and still better when amped. As such they have an obvious niche.
The downside is that unamped they are not considerably better than old HD 515. Or Sony V6. Different, somewhat better, but not worth the outlay. Amped HD 598 are better than those two, but I already have headphones which I like considerably better when amped.
Moreover, apart from the grilles and cable, the build quality of HD 515 and 598 is substantially the same. All main elements are made of the same type of plastic. OK, HD 598 have metal grilles, I give them that, but that's about it. Who on Earth cares for fake wood and pleather and/or leatherette?? I did not mind the colour scheme, but given the materials it is not stylish, but rather tacky. And just try to extrapolate the traces of wear of HD 515 (or 555 or 595 for that) on creamy HD 598, - they do not develop patina, they start looking shabby in a year or two.
Finally, one of the reasons for new headphones was to use them with MP3 language course material - and for speech I actually prefer HD 515. So HD 515 and possibly PortaPro will have to do as the language course "workhorse".
However, I kind of enjoyed Senn sound, so I am getting HD 600 while I can (Amazon.fr for me).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back