Sennheiser HD555 appreciation thread.
Aug 4, 2009 at 5:55 AM Post #61 of 121
Check out these threads:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/sou...-595-a-243907/

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/hd555-h595-mod-227697/

...and here's my thread on my own mods, including my impressions on each mod:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/my-...roject-433691/

If you want even more insane detail on my mod. impressions check out my blog.

If you're not so sure about cutting into your 'phones, just open the cans up and gently pull the rectangular foam piece from the inside of each capsule. That alone will turn it into a 595, and accounts for the lion's share of the added transparency of the soundstage mod, IMHO. The "foam mod." can be done without cutting into your headphones, just make sure you don't put undue stress on the driver frame, and leave the back of the driver open. I had pretty good results with both mattress pad foam and polarfleece. I settled on the polarfleece because it didn't press into the back of the driver frame as much, and it looked better.
rolleyes.gif

Aug 4, 2009 at 5:58 AM Post #62 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by killz23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seond that..

I would like to try too, but it's irreversible though..Does the foam removal mod expose the 555 driver to potential hazard? like dirt and stuff

Not by itself, but the soundstage mod. removes the nylon screen that protects the back side of the driver. You'll still be left with the metal mesh screen, but that's it. It shouldn't be a big deal if you hang your headphones up (I still need to get a stand so I can do this).

Aug 4, 2009 at 7:54 AM Post #63 of 121
I've had mine for some 3 years now, used them without an amp for 2 years and i thought they sounded very clear, amplified them, and found a whole new side to these headphones. Def. an awesome headphone at a bargain deal.

Aug 5, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #64 of 121
Sorry to be a little off-topic, but I just got my new HD555's yesterday and I gotta say that LOVE EM. Being curious, I decided to try plugging them into a couple of my dads old receivers to try and amplify the audio signal when watching a blu-ray. In one instance, I got an extremely loud, high-pitched screechy/interference sound coming through the headphones. I didn't even have them on but it was still VERY loud. I unplugged them instantly after about half a second of this. Ever since then I've been very concerned that I caused some sort of damage to them. They appear to sound as good as before, but I am noticing some pops in the sound occasionally (but this may just be bacause I'm playing music through my iPod). Anyways, I was wondering if anyone knew if there could possibly be damage done to them, or am I just just being paranoid and worrying about nothing. I'm a total headphone noob, and don't really know what to think. Thanks!

Aug 7, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #65 of 121
Most probably it's just your mind playing games with you! I had a similar experience when I bought them a year back. Once a friend of mine listened to them at a very high volume and after that, for a couple of days, I always thought that they have been damaged. But nothing had happened.

Just enjoy your music. Don't bother about the incidence and then you will realize how good they really sound!

Aug 9, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #66 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by vaibhavpawar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most probably it's just your mind playing games with you! I had a similar experience when I bought them a year back. Once a friend of mine listened to them at a very high volume and after that, for a couple of days, I always thought that they have been damaged. But nothing had happened.

Just enjoy your music. Don't bother about the incidence and then you will realize how good they really sound!

Haha thanks. I've kinda thought it was just my mind playing tricks on me. I've had several family members listen to see if they can hear anything "messing up" and they all look at me like I'm crazy. lol so I guess its just me being paranoid. Anyways, these are absolutely amazing headphones. I love em! My girlfriend gave them to me as a college graduation gift and now she complains that I have them with me too much. lol. They just make everything so enjoyable to listen to. Can't believe Ive lived this long without them!

Aug 9, 2009 at 5:43 AM Post #67 of 121
After doing a lot more listening to my new HD555's, ive noticed that the so-called "pops" I'm occasionally hearing is actually me just hearing parts of the recording that I've never heard before. I listen to a lot of classical and film score/ movie soundtracks and I've noticed that I can now here very faint harp playing and/or guitar etc. that I have never noticed before. Having never heard these sounds before in these recordings, I initially assumed they were flaws with the headphones since the plucking actually sounded like pops in the sound. Its actually really cool to hear such tiny details in music that wasn't even possible to hear before when using some crappy earbuds. Im lovin the hd555 and am never going back to crappy earbuds again!

Aug 9, 2009 at 5:44 AM Post #68 of 121
I tried an HD 595 earlier, and I was impressed by the improved clarity and bass. However, with a large price difference, I do not think an upgrade will not be worth it. I'll be sticking with my HD 555, improved with the soundstage mod. Everything became clearer!

Aug 19, 2009 at 7:06 AM Post #69 of 121
Man! After burn-in these things are rockin! The bass is so incredible for my taste and everything sounds so clear. Burn-in transformed an already amazing headphone into something astounding! Throw in a Fiio E5 and I'm in heaven.

Aug 19, 2009 at 7:24 AM Post #70 of 121
"...with a large price difference, I do not think an upgrade will not be worth it."

So does that mean you will be upgrading? Or do two negatives not make a positive?
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 19, 2009 at 8:55 AM Post #71 of 121
Well I've tried quite a few more phones now and I can still say with conviction that although they're not the best they are excellent headphones and may represent the best bang for buck anywhere.

Aug 19, 2009 at 10:53 AM Post #72 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjsoviet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried an HD 595 earlier, and I was impressed by the improved clarity and bass. However, with a large price difference, I do not think an upgrade will not be worth it. I'll be sticking with my HD 555, improved with the soundstage mod. Everything became clearer!

After having the 555 for a year, I decided to take a leap of faith and get the 595. I managed to get them for $169 from J&R, not a huge jump in price from the 555, especially compared to list price. I'm really hoping the 595 fix the bass and presentation issues that I have with the 555. I'll try to write back once I get them to let you know if they are worth an upgrade.

Nov 17, 2009 at 1:08 PM Post #73 of 121
Count me in the club! I just got my 555's 2 days ago and I am just loving every bit of these cans. I can't wait for them to burn-in and hear the improvement that everyone's saying. I hope I won't be disappointed.

Nov 17, 2009 at 2:09 PM Post #74 of 121
I used these again recently for listening on my iPhone and was re-blown away! After months of amped listening with my k701s and HD650s I was suprised at just how good these are naked if you will. Definitely incredible value for money.

Nov 18, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #75 of 121
The best value of all time would have to be the 555 with 595 mod, wouldn't it? I have one and it's a viable alternative to my 650s...not as rich and refined, no, but better balanced and very satisfying. I could live with them as my only phone if I had to.

genpatton7, I'll be interested in what improvements you hear in the 595 over the 555. Then once the 595 is burnt in maybe you can do the 595 mod on your 555 and do a comparative review, just to satisfy my curiousity. But don't rush...I can wait.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back