Sennheiser HD555 appreciation thread.
Jul 30, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #46 of 121
I love my HD555's too. They're just so darn comfortable.

I'm starting to build a CMoy amp tonight with a buddy who's a whiz with electronics. Do any of you guys listen to your's through a cmoy? I'm curious to see if the sound improves much with the 555's and also my Grado SR-60's. I realize that neither really need an amp, but figure it'll be fun to learn and is only costing about $20.

Jul 30, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #47 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by trip221 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love my HD555's too. They're just so darn comfortable.

I'm starting to build a CMoy amp tonight with a buddy who's a whiz with electronics. Do any of you guys listen to your's through a cmoy? I'm curious to see if the sound improves much with the 555's and also my Grado SR-60's. I realize that neither really need an amp, but figure it'll be fun to learn and is only costing about $20.

do let us know how the hd555 / cmoy pairing works out for you
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 31, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #48 of 121
Thanks again for the advice in this thread. . . I ended up splurging on a D10 Cobra because I liked the idea of being able to switch to the optical out on my consoles. Probably a little excessive for the 555's, but if I'm impressed with the improvement in sound I might consider upgrading the headphones later down the line anyway.

Aug 1, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #49 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by Das Mookid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks again for the advice in this thread. . . I ended up splurging on a D10 Cobra because I liked the idea of being able to switch to the optical out on my consoles. Probably a little excessive for the 555's, but if I'm impressed with the improvement in sound I might consider upgrading the headphones later down the line anyway.

You will definitely notice improvement in bass and soundstage
This is the combo I am using everyday
happy_face1.gif

Aug 2, 2009 at 7:38 AM Post #52 of 121
As everyone stated, the HD 555 is a mighty fine product. It is a good start for budget audiophiles, and its sound is just near the 595's without costing that much. I tried the foam removal mod, and was amazed by the improvements.

The addition of using FLAC and ALAC improved the experience, as well as having a Fiio E5 portable amp. All in all, a great pair of cans.

Aug 3, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #54 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by killz23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fiio E5, IMHO, does not do much for the HD555, as it would to other headphones, or IEMs for that matter

As a low-impedance 'phone, the 555 pulls a lot of current, so I guess I'd expect a portable amp wouldn't necessarily do as much. Have you noticed any difference in your 555's with the Fiio plugged into the wall, as opposed to working off the batteries?

My NAD desktop Preamp made a big improvement over my onboard audio chip, and going balanced with my home-grown a47 did quite a bit beyond that.

Quote:

..The foam removal is basically the 1 best improvement/mod that you can do to the HD 555..

I'll second this--on the phones themselves, the foam mod and the recable made the most significant differences for me. Everything else is more incrementally additive--to the point where I don't know I'd recommend it because to me it could merely be psychoacoustics.

Of course, I've done so may mods that my 555's probably don't qualify as 555's anymore.
rolleyes.gif
I've even been looking at linuxworks "ProjectFrankenSixfifities(tm)" and am scheming about ways to shoehorn 650 drivers into these cans.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 4, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #55 of 121
Wow...Imagine 650 drivers on a 555's body. haha..That'll be great..

No, I didn't try the Fiio amp plugged into wall before..That's a small amp to be powerful enough to do anything, basically..Recabling? That's gonna be my next mod I would say..

Ive been tempted to try the soundstage mod..and the HWC mod, but not gutsy enough..How to hoose the HWC foam? Where to place it? It's kinda hard to understand as well..haha..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back