Sennheiser HD555 appreciation thread.
Jun 29, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #31 of 121
Im very happy to see this. First off I would like to say hello to everyone its my first post. I love my HD555's. I bought them a while ago and they were my first real pair of quality headphones and I noticed a huge difference. It is true the bass may be lacking but overall I like the sound of them and probably would never sell them. Of course I don't have a whole lot of experience in different headphones.

Jul 28, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #32 of 121
Not sure if this is the best thread to ask in. . . I just registered for this forum and I'm interested in eeking a little better sound from my setup.

I've had a pair of HD555's for a few years now and I am curious if investing in a decent entry level Headphone Amp would help me get more out of them. I almost exclusively use the headphones for Gaming / Music from my HDTV's headphone jack. So my source chain is basically: 360 / PS3 -> HDMI -> Samsung LNS3292 HDTV -> Senn HD 555.

Would attaching a headphone amp (I've been looking at the Headroom Total Airhead, ~$100 budget) on DC between the TV and my headphones likely improve audio much? Current volume is fine, but there's a little hiss and I'd certainly like to hear improvement in clarity if possible. I've heard mixed views on whether the HD555's benefit from amps.

I'm also curious if I might be better off bypassing my TV and using the RCA audio out direct from the consoles with an adapter either with or without an amp.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Jul 28, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #33 of 121
From my experience I think you will definitely see an improvement with a decent amp. Just going from the speaker out on my TV (much like you) to an old NAD preamp headphone out improved the noise floor and bass response dramatically.

They continued to scale well after several mods to the headphones and improvements in my source (major gains in clarity here). I'm currently listening to them with a balanced a47 amp I just built and am rather enjoying it.
biggrin.gif

Jul 28, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #34 of 121
Thanks for the feedback.

As far as amps go, it seems like the Total Air Head is viewed positively around here as far as I can tell. Another one I've been looking at is the small iBasso T4.

Any recommendations? I don't really care about size, I just want something relatively affordable (~$100) and a decent enough performer for price.

Jul 28, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #35 of 121
Ah, another HD555 appreciation thread. Hopefully we can keep the haters out of this one....
wink.gif

Great set of headphones. GET A AMP! Get a decent amp and they perform better than their $90 price tag. I personally think they are better all rounders than the Audio Technica ad700 (to which they are often compared). Plus for some reason they are down right magical with female vocals. Of all the headphones I have heard they rank behind the HD650 and K501 in terms of emotional reproduction of female vocals although it does take a different and less refined method to get there.

Jul 28, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #36 of 121
Love mine. Compared to the HD515s (next model down) they're a real improvement. They also do warm songs like Green Onions or Brimful of Asha fantastically (that may be the recording though).
I'll see what they're like when my amp arrives.

Jul 28, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #37 of 121
I have been eying these on Amazon for a while now, and I think I'm about ready to take the plunge and buy them. However, I'm worried it won't a dramatic enough improvement over my 202's to warrant the hundred dollar price tag? Do they really sound that much better? I listen through a Soundblaster Audigy sound card, but I don't have an amp.

Jul 28, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #38 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthPuma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been eying these on Amazon for a while now, and I think I'm about ready to take the plunge and buy them. However, I'm worried it won't a dramatic enough improvement over my 202's to warrant the hundred dollar price tag? Do they really sound that much better? I listen through a Soundblaster Audigy sound card, but I don't have an amp.

I have heard the 202s so rest assured that the 555 is in a whole other class. Even without a amp, its really not close at all.

Jul 28, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #39 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by ciphercomplete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have heard the 202s so rest assured that the 555 is in a whole other class. Even without a amp, its really not close at all.

x2

I now use my 202's as my "cheap test headphones."
wink.gif

Jul 28, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #40 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zaubertuba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2

I now use my 202's as my "cheap test headphones."
wink.gif

Damn, I really didn't need to hear this. I guess I can get these and skip that sony sound bar I was looking at since the 555's are supposed to be great with games and movies.

Jul 28, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #41 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthPuma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Damn, I really didn't need to hear this. I guess I can get these and skip that sony sound bar I was looking at since the 555's are supposed to be great with games and movies.

Oh oh! I almost forgot:

Welcome to Head-Fi...
biggrin.gif

...Sorry about your wallet.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 28, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #42 of 121
" Great introduction to hifi........"

LOL, as far as Im concerned the 555`s do everything I want and the search for full sized cans has ended. I too am not gonna empty my wallet with endless searching for headphones.

HD555`s are just superb value for money and a joy to use....in my opinion.

Jul 29, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #43 of 121
I've had the 555s for over 2 years and they are awesome. They've served me well for my varied taste in music, they never disappoint. I found it hard to upgrade from these, but I finally decided to take the plunge and order the HD 650 and a Little Dot MKIII amp. I'm still waiting on it to arrive. If the 555s are good I cant wait to try the 650s.
ksc75smile.gif

Jul 30, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #44 of 121
Out of curiosity, I got a new HD555 yesterday.

I was not impressed out of box, connecting to Marantz CC-65SE headphone jack.

I kept it playing for ~10 hours, now it opens up a little bit.

But it sounds much better on a headphone amp. Soundstage opens dramatically.

I will keep burning it in before I jump onto any conclusions

Jul 30, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #45 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by thomasshi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Out of curiosity, I got a new HD555 yesterday.

I was not impressed out of box, connecting to Marantz CC-65SE headphone jack.

I kept it playing for ~10 hours, now it opens up a little bit.

But it sounds much better on a headphone amp. Soundstage opens dramatically.

I will keep burning it in before I jump onto any conclusions

Be patient...Just wait until you reach 30, then 100 hours. They keep on getting better.

Then there's always the mods. Take out that little foam piece on the inside of each headphone capsule. The mod is cheap (if you're careful), reversible, and effectively turns your phones into a pair of 595's--without the snazzy leather headband, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back