Sennheiser HD555 appreciation thread.
May 16, 2009 at 4:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 121

qawsed

Head-Fier
Got these a few days ago and I really think they are great. Listened to Grado SR60is, the 515 the 595 and some sony cans and I think these are seriously good cans. Im new to this scene but from what Ive read headphones are as good as you like them. I like these a lot.

Nothiced there was no appreciation thread so Im starting my own!

May 16, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #2 of 121
Run while you can and never come back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lock away your money !!!

May 17, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #3 of 121
They seem underrated here..
Notice that they sounded terrible (slow, veiled, muddy) out of the box..
Mine were 700++ hours burned-in and now they improved a lot (I mean it!)

I've also done a light mod..

I took off the crappy black foam that placed behind the driver (just like HD595 now)..
IMHO they sounded better, tighter bass, airy, improved transient, wider soundstage..

Just my 2 cents
biggrin.gif

My setup: HD555 + iPod Shuffle 1Gen/iPod Classic

PS: sorry for my bad english

May 17, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #4 of 121
I thought they sounded good when I bought them, and I thought they sounded good when I sold them. The differences between phones on this forum are vastly overstated.

May 17, 2009 at 11:28 AM Post #7 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought they sounded good when I bought them, and I thought they sounded good when I sold them. The differences between phones on this forum are vastly overstated.

Absolutely, couldn't agree more. All this, "The so-and-so blows such-and-such out of the water" rubbish I keep reading here, when really we're often talking about minor incremental improvements. Some people need to get a grip.

Regarding the HD555, it's a very fine phone. I couldn't pick much difference between it and the 595 (though admittedly I didn't have both at the same time). I now have the 650, but frankly, good as it is, it still isn't the huge, gobsmacking, overwhelming improvement over the 555/595 that some here would have us believe. Ultimately the 555 is the best value by far and more than good enough for the average person--unless of course that average person lingers around here reading these feverish threads and turns into a damned enthusiast.

And I do mean damned.
confused_face(1).gif

May 17, 2009 at 12:58 PM Post #8 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by qawsed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would like to see a blind test between the 555s and the 595s. Especially with the foam mod...

Couldn't hear any difference, but I admit, I am not very skilled at this. Maybe it were the crappy apms. But the foam mod is definatelly worth a try.

May 17, 2009 at 1:17 PM Post #10 of 121
starter can sounds dangerous for my wallet! A good side effect of getting good cans is I am listening to lots more music than before! Would a DAC be a good addition for laptop lisening with s fiio e5?

May 17, 2009 at 1:57 PM Post #11 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by qawsed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
starter can sounds dangerous for my wallet! A good side effect of getting good cans is I am listening to lots more music than before! Would a DAC be a good addition for laptop lisening with s fiio e5?

definitely
bigsmile_face.gif

May 19, 2009 at 6:41 AM Post #12 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by squall343 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
definitely one of the best starter can
smily_headphones1.gif

i start with the 555 before moving on to others

And many have started with the 555 and not moved on.

They are those who aspire to sanity.

May 19, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #13 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by pitom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They seem underrated here..
Notice that they sounded terrible (slow, veiled, muddy) out of the box..
Mine were 700++ hours burned-in and now they improved a lot (I mean it!)

I've also done a light mod..

I took off the crappy black foam that placed behind the driver (just like HD595 now)..
IMHO they sounded better, tighter bass, airy, improved transient, wider soundstage..

Burn-in *really* is critical for these cans. I can see how they are underrated--it would be really easy to listen to them out-of-the box and be underwhelmed. They were still an improvement over the budget Senns. I started out with, but they kept on getting better--and I don't mean by small degrees.

The "remove the foam" mod. is a really nice reversible mod. for these phones. The HCW/Soundstage mods seem to be well-recommended, but beware as some of these mods are *not* reversible. I'll be doing them myself when I muster up the courage.
rolleyes.gif

I'm actually doing a little experiment on trying to squeeze the most you can out of these cans. For more info. see my blog (link in my sig.).

May 19, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #14 of 121
Just got the Fiio E5 and the bass boost gives these a nice kick. Id imagin a "proper" amp would be a big improvement fot the 555s. They have had about 30 hours now and they are definitely improved from new. They really do sound very very good. Lack a small bit in the mid range for punky guitar rock but its still getting better as the hours clock up!

May 20, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #15 of 121
Even with HD580's, they are still my favorite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back