Sennheiser HD518 HD558 HD598 HD559 HD589 HD579 HD599 Support Thread
Jun 5, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #256 of 1,140
There are many threads dealing with the tube vs. solid state decision, also several dealing with the Aune, and all other dacs, amps, cards for computers and almost anything you can imagine on head fi. You may want to research this further on those threads, the risk is in the huge amount of information which could have you reading for months! For many of us, that's part of the fun.

I got my Aune T1 through Amazon but it came from China and took about 5 weeks to arrive. eBay has these and many other choices for a wide number of prices (some with free postage, as did mine) some with surprisingly high postage.
Good luck in your search.

I'll be looking around for those. My only concern now is that while I do want something primarily for music I am a gamer so would an Aune T1 still be a good choice or should I look into other options? 

Jun 5, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #257 of 1,140
I just got these in, and I really want to appreciate them but.. the clamping on these things are rough. I must have a somewhat big head because they press on my glasses/ears pretty hard. Music wise, I'm getting used to the sound signature. I know people on the forums say senns 5x8 have a laid back sound to them, but I'm so used to engagement on my other headphones that I was taken aback when listening.

By far however, the clearest sound of all my phones. It felt like a filter was on all my other headphones that the HD 558s didn't have. Female vocals are by far the best I've heard on a headphone, and like most people say acoustic/classical sounds precise and clean. I just don't know if it's worth the $160... Some games and movies sound so far away, I have to turn my amp up much farther than usual to get a good level. Haven't had the chance to try them on an FPS game, maybe that's where they really shine.

So I'm stuck between returning these while I still can, or wait and do the foam mod/get used to the sound signature to see if it changes enough to justify my spending.

Jun 5, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #259 of 1,140
I think I finally found headphone I want to keep. The sound is decent, and they sound decent out of my iPod and stuff and they're comfortable.  I'm returning my Grado sr80i and AKG K240 now. 

Jun 5, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #260 of 1,140
Quote:
I just got these in, and I really want to appreciate them but.. the clamping on these things are rough. I must have a somewhat big head because they press on my glasses/ears pretty hard. Music wise, I'm getting used to the sound signature. I know people on the forums say senns 5x8 have a laid back sound to them, but I'm so used to engagement on my other headphones that I was taken aback when listening.

By far however, the clearest sound of all my phones. It felt like a filter was on all my other headphones that the HD 558s didn't have. Female vocals are by far the best I've heard on a headphone, and like most people say acoustic/classical sounds precise and clean. I just don't know if it's worth the $160... Some games and movies sound so far away, I have to turn my amp up much farther than usual to get a good level. Haven't had the chance to try them on an FPS game, maybe that's where they really shine.

So I'm stuck between returning these while I still can, or wait and do the foam mod/get used to the sound signature to see if it changes enough to justify my spending.

the earpads soften A LOT over use time, because the earpads are pretty hard when new but soften to plushie consistency after some use. Also since the earpads soften, the clamping force will reduce too since there is less earpad volume to push into your head.

Jun 5, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #261 of 1,140
Quote:
the earpads soften A LOT over use time, because the earpads are pretty hard when new but soften to plushie consistency after some use. Also since the earpads soften, the clamping force will reduce too since there is less earpad volume to push into your head.

Okay, I suppose I'll try doing longer sessions with them.  I'm hoping burn in will do something for them as well, since I still prefer my CALs to most everything on my playlists.

Jun 7, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #262 of 1,140
I plan on buying these when either DAHMART or ADGtron gets a new stock of refurbs/used pairs. Regret selling these...

Jun 12, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #263 of 1,140
Well i couldn't wait. Ordered these off Amazon for $140 used like new. Hope they come in soon!

Jun 13, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #264 of 1,140
Hey everyone, I am pretty new here and bought the HD558's around September of 2012... I have really enjoyed them, but have recently been hearing about amps/DAC's and have been interested in one. I use onboard sound from my ASUS P6T motherboard. After reading this entire thread I have gone back and forth between all these headphone amps, opinions, and suggestions and still cannot make up my mind. I have read some posts about different amps giving certain benefits, but there's just too much to choose from.

Not looking to spend more than 80$ for right now.. I am not sure if I should get a cheap sound card and similar amp or just get the amp.. I would love to make up a solid choice by mid day today with good suggestions from this community if at all possible... very excited from what i've read, just can't make up my mind :\.

So far FiiO seems like my only choice financially if I were to just go the amp route...

I do a lot of movie watching/gaming/ music listening on my PC.... and I listen to all types of music. Anything from Yanni to Metallica, Disco, Dance, Techno, Reggae, classical, Jazz etc.

Hopefully I can find out if it is best to get soundcard/amp combo or just the amp for now, and which amp would suffice.

Appreciate it

Jun 13, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #266 of 1,140
Jun 13, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #267 of 1,140
Wow that sounds great.. can't wait to hear what these headphones can really do :D

I just came across these while getting ready to purchase the E7 on amazon, could you take a quick look and let me know what you think?

http://www.amazon.com/Fiio-E10-USB-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B005VO7LG6/ref=sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1371168912&sr=1-10&keywords=Fiio+E7

It says it is a DAC Headphone Amplifier

Thanks a bunch 

I have never tried the E10, but it has good reviews. Both the E7 and E10 will be an improvement over your onboard soundcard and both can drive the HD558 with ease so I would say either one would be a good choice. Just decide based on features and form factor and price which one you prefer.

Jun 14, 2013 at 5:58 AM Post #269 of 1,140
Hi, is anyone here using HD558 with Fiio E07K Andes? how does that sound?

I'm planning to buy a portable DAC/amp that cost under $100, since E07K can be used as ext. soundcard for PC and quite small for portable player, that would be perfect.

Jun 14, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #270 of 1,140
Hi, is anyone here using HD558 with Fiio E07K Andes? how does that sound?

I'm planning to buy a portable DAC/amp that cost under $100, since E07K can be used as ext. soundcard for PC and quite small for portable player, that would be perfect.

I have used it with the older E7 and it sounds very good, far better than headphone outs despite the "amp not necessary" reputation of the 558s. I am sure the E7K will be as good if not better. For the price it can't be beaten. For non-portable applications I have switched to the Aune T1 which is a quantum leap in quality (and has the flexibility of tube sound as well. When I am traveling I still use the old reliable E7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back