Sennheiser HD518 HD558 HD598 HD559 HD589 HD579 HD599 Support Thread
Oct 12, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #16 of 1,140
I've done the foam mod, and I feel that it's made the sound, especially the midrange, a bit fuller. The best way for me to describe it is that if you cup your hands over the grills on the sides of the headphones, you'll notice that the soundstage shrinks and the midrange sounds "nasally". Removing the foam basically does the opposite of that, by making the soundstage slightly larger, and the midrange slightly more full.

I didn't notice much of a change otherwise. Some folks have mentioned a loss of detail with the mod. However, I don't really notice that, and even if there were, I'll take the improvements to soundstage and an increased richness in sound any old day.

Oct 13, 2011 at 9:49 AM Post #17 of 1,140
I have the HD 558s and did the foam mod. IMO, the foam mod sounds a LOT better. Bass is fuller, and you can still hear the detail. Midrange is more forward too.

I also have a set of Denon AH-D2000s. The open Sennheiser sound is interestingly different. Even if I listen at loud volumes, the sound is sort of 'laid back'. Voices sound sensational, much better than the Denons, but everything else has this airy quality about it. I would definitely listen to ambient, progressive, classical, or "chill acoustic guitar" style music on this.

However, for high energy music, I definitely prefer the Denons. I think I've grown accustomed to having bass 'rumble'. The Denon's bass acts like a subwoofer, it feels weighty. The Sennheiser's bass is just there. Accurate and "there", but it doesn't punch you or rumble you (in subjective terms). Also, a snare hit in the Denon's will pop in your head. To me, that is an appealing sound: I want to feel like the drummer is thwacking that snare with feeling. The Sennheisers are more analytical, you don't "feel" the snare. Also, the Denon's have this 'sheen' on the sound, like a nicely mastered track.

Instrument separation is 100x better on the Sennheisers. When a guitar is panned to the right, it's on the right outside of your head. With the Denons the right-panned guitar is sitting ON the headphone, as opposed to outside it.

Treble is better on the Sennheisers, there is little sibilance and harshness. You can really crank these and not feel fatigue. Cranking the Denons will kick and punch you, but if the music is good, you may want that.

Overall, I'd give the slight edge to the Denons for listening, and the Sennheisers for mixing. If there is an amp that makes the Sennheisers "jump", I would really like to know. As of now, I use both headphones with my Focusrite Saffire Pro 14 audio interface.

Oct 13, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #18 of 1,140

Quote:
I have the HD 558s and did the foam mod. IMO, the foam mod sounds a LOT better. Bass is fuller, and you can still hear the detail. Midrange is more forward too.

I also have a set of Denon AH-D2000s. The open Sennheiser sound is interestingly different. Even if I listen at loud volumes, the sound is sort of 'laid back'. Voices sound sensational, much better than the Denons, but everything else has this airy quality about it. I would definitely listen to ambient, progressive, classical, or "chill acoustic guitar" style music on this.

However, for high energy music, I definitely prefer the Denons. I think I've grown accustomed to having bass 'rumble'. The Denon's bass acts like a subwoofer, it feels weighty. The Sennheiser's bass is just there. Accurate and "there", but it doesn't punch you or rumble you (in subjective terms). Also, a snare hit in the Denon's will pop in your head. To me, that is an appealing sound: I want to feel like the drummer is thwacking that snare with feeling. The Sennheisers are more analytical, you don't "feel" the snare. Also, the Denon's have this 'sheen' on the sound, like a nicely mastered track.

Instrument separation is 100x better on the Sennheisers. When a guitar is panned to the right, it's on the right outside of your head. With the Denons the right-panned guitar is sitting ON the headphone, as opposed to outside it.

Treble is better on the Sennheisers, there is little sibilance and harshness. You can really crank these and not feel fatigue. Cranking the Denons will kick and punch you, but if the music is good, you may want that.

Overall, I'd give the slight edge to the Denons for listening, and the Sennheisers for mixing. If there is an amp that makes the Sennheisers "jump", I would really like to know. As of now, I use both headphones with my Focusrite Saffire Pro 14 audio interface.

fairly typical comparison between the two headphones imo but as i said opinion based, and u just screwed ur warranty btw :p

Oct 16, 2011 at 7:34 AM Post #19 of 1,140
I love these for listening to electronic music, upgrading from HD428's was the best idea I've ever had :D

Haven't modded them, not planning to either. I'm too scared to take off the pads, I'm afraid it'll break :')

Oct 24, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #20 of 1,140
Are there any other mods for the HD-558 besides removing the black rubber tape?

Oct 29, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #22 of 1,140
Has anyone owned the HD-558 and HD-595 at the same time and compared them?

Nov 3, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #27 of 1,140

Quote:
Lol, I'm getting a set of Beyers here pretty soon so I think I'm good. Although I would love to hear and compare 555 vs 558
I like your review of the 558s on your blog btw

I really like my Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 250-Ohm cans.
I kind of rotate my RP-HTF600-S, DT-770 Pro 250-Ohm and HD-558 between my TV and PC.
But it's always the DT-770 Pro 250-Ohm when something special is playing, like Blu-ray movies.

Nov 10, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #29 of 1,140
I just removed the black rubber tape a few minutes ago from my HD-558s, not sure how much it helped.
But I have nothing negative to say. bass is good, I think I hearing more drum.
The HD-558s have only about 15 hours of use.

Nov 10, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #30 of 1,140

Quote:
I just removed the black rubber tape a few minutes ago from my HD-558s, not sure how much it helped.
But I have nothing negative to say. bass is good, I think I hearing more drum.
The HD-558s have only about 15 hours of use.

good to hear you're enjoying it but on some recordings you will notice a loss in bass control as well as in mids control

Users who are viewing this thread

Back