Sennheiser HD518 HD558 HD598 HD559 HD589 HD579 HD599 Support Thread
Sep 29, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #46 of 1,140
Mostly dead thread, hopefully the admin will delete this thread.

Sep 30, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #47 of 1,140
overshadowed by the headphone's bigger brother i would assume

Oct 16, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #48 of 1,140
hello guys, i think my sennehiser hd 558 has a problem when listening to piano music. tried other source and other file, still the same. i get like some "cracking" noise when piano hits high tones. i'm heard it first time while listening to Skrillex - With You, Friends (Long Drive). does anybody expirienced the same? should i return them? thanks in advance

EDIT:

lol nvm, was the file!

Nov 13, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #49 of 1,140
HMV have a Xmas reduction on this 558. From £159 to £99. In store only.

I was lucky as they had no stock left but sold me the display model with a further discount. So I got a dusty pair but beautifully burnt in.

Playing thru my little dot tube amp. Lovely sound. Really lovely.

Nov 27, 2012 at 7:11 AM Post #51 of 1,140
if only there was a way to switch the HD558 grill with the HD598 grill... but unfortunately it is a single moulded plastic earcup. i wonder if anyone has actually done it before though

Nov 28, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #54 of 1,140
Quote:
What is this cracking issue I hear about?
Was going to buy them but need more information on this first please.

its about the cracking headband. but not to worry this only affected the first batch many years ago(about 4 years i think), after the second batch the headband has been fixed with more rubbery materials and it is now more flexible and wont crack. even if it does crack sennheiser will replace it for you. but so far after the fix there are no more reports of them cracking

@miow
treble and bass is imo 2 of the worst characteristics of this headphone. if this is what you want in your pair this is not the place for you.
the main strength is the very forward lively vocals and the very wide soundstage

Nov 30, 2012 at 4:45 AM Post #55 of 1,140
I have found a cheap simple way or get 3.5mm plug and terminated to any length.

http://www.custom-cable.co.uk/custom-3.5mm-termination.html

All you do is add into the shopping basket both the replacement cable for the hd558 and the custom option, specify length and pay. £12.50 for this seemed ok. I will get my cable next week. Happy now, as the included cable is crazy long and the adapter to 3.5mm is a nonsense with these cans.

Nov 30, 2012 at 6:48 AM Post #57 of 1,140
Quote:
Take a look at this review:
http://www.headphonesfordummies.com/2011/06/sennheiser-558-review.html

"Really strong and detailed bass", they must be kidding me. Even treble is so bad. Give that guy an AKG K167 TIESTO to make him see what is TREBLE and BASS.

Nov 30, 2012 at 8:22 AM Post #58 of 1,140
Quote:

"Really strong and detailed bass", they must be kidding me. Even treble is so bad. Give that guy an AKG K167 TIESTO to make him see what is TREBLE and BASS.

I was referring to bass not sub bass and I found the treble to be rather detailed and enjoyable. I bet you're using them with mainstream genres like hip hop, rock, pop etc. That would explain everything since these are targeted towards an older audience who listen to genres that don't rely on sub bass such as classical, country or classic rock. If you want to send me the K167 to try go ahead make my day.

Nov 30, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #59 of 1,140
i would agree to some extent that the treble and bass are the 2 weakest links in this headphone. with the eq however it fixed the subbass (as powerful as a XB500 now) and the trable is now sparkly as a beyer. i would have chosen another pair if i had never used the eq. its just not suitable for electro, dn'b, trance, edm etc (more modern music, mainstream or not)

Dec 5, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #60 of 1,140
Hi guys! im new in this forum and I recently bought hd558. i am currently using my ipod classic 6g with LOD and connected to E7. i recently downloaded flacs and used foobar2000 to convert it to ALAC. my question is why is it that the sound appears to be loose and all over the place and sometimes sounded distorted even though it's already in lossless format? i tried ripping some of my cd's in itunes to ALAC but those sounded intact even at higher volumes. is it the file? because iv'e downloaded several FLACS and most of them sounded the same. if so, where can I download quality FLACs? thanks in advance..i'm starting to think it's the ipod but some of my music sounded great so i'm guessing it's the files that has the problem..but, when i tried playing the same song using foobar connected to E7 as dac the sound appears to be fine..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back