Sennheiser HD518 HD558 HD598 HD559 HD589 HD579 HD599 Support Thread
Nov 24, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #827 of 1,140
No, but I have an Asus z97-a motherboard with good onboard audio.
If that's not good enough what do you recomend?
Do they have good positional accuracy for fps? good emersion?
Positional accuracy is pretty good. 7.5/10, let's say. You can pick out certain sounds around yoh, especially in a game with well-made sound. Immersion, oh yes. If you play Insurgency, get some sound mods, and you get INTO it. Gunfire, explosions , all that are lovely. I've actually once thought that there was a gunfight outside once :p
one more thing, the audio on your mono is probably fine, but it may underpowered the 558s. A FiiO E11 or E07K will do the trick.

Nov 25, 2014 at 4:33 AM Post #828 of 1,140
Positional accuracy is pretty good. 7.5/10, let's say. You can pick out certain sounds around yoh, especially in a game with well-made sound. Immersion, oh yes. If you play Insurgency, get some sound mods, and you get INTO it. Gunfire, explosions , all that are lovely. I've actually once thought that there was a gunfight outside once :p
one more thing, the audio on your mono is probably fine, but it may underpowered the 558s. A FiiO E11 or E07K will do the trick.

I'm right with you in terms of immersion as it is quite good. I actually don't think the mobo amp is gonna be underpowered, but rather that the ALC892 just isn't up to the job in SQ. They're only 50ohms and if an iPod Touch can power these (and they can, I've tried, sounds pretty decent actually), then the amp on a mobo should provide power just fine. I can't say for sure about his specific board, but on my MSI Z87-G55 with ALC892, stuff sounds pretty flat and lifeless. Like it just doesn't have the grit or the sparkle or the body or the enjoyment a well-done piece of music should give through a good set of cans. But that's just what I think of it, might turn out better for others' ears.

@stevendom, if you're looking for a good external DAC/Amp that's relatively cheap, it seems like good things have been said regarding the Fiio E10. I think it was somewhere around $70-80 last time I looked at one (might be the 'k' revision or something). Looks like being made of aluminum all around makes it solidly built too. It'd be a good place to start I think.

Nov 25, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #829 of 1,140
I'm right with you in terms of immersion as it is quite good. I actually don't think the mobo amp is gonna be underpowered, but rather that the ALC892 just isn't up to the job in SQ. They're only 50ohms and if an iPod Touch can power these (and they can, I've tried, sounds pretty decent actually), then the amp on a mobo should provide power just fine. I can't say for sure about his specific board, but on my MSI Z87-G55 with ALC892, stuff sounds pretty flat and lifeless. Like it just doesn't have the grit or the sparkle or the body or the enjoyment a well-done piece of music should give through a good set of cans. But that's just what I think of it, might turn out better for others' ears.

@stevendom, if you're looking for a good external DAC/Amp that's relatively cheap, it seems like good things have been said regarding the Fiio E10. I think it was somewhere around $70-80 last time I looked at one (might be the 'k' revision or something). Looks like being made of aluminum all around makes it solidly built too. It'd be a good place to start I think.
Fully posting headphones, especially on the 558, reduces treble and adds a little more body into the sound. Plus, you don't have to crank your source up. And yes, the mobo probably has subpar SQ. My laptop and my desktop (built myself) make things sound, let's say, different.

Nov 26, 2014 at 3:54 AM Post #830 of 1,140
Fully posting headphones, especially on the 558, reduces treble and adds a little more body into the sound. Plus, you don't have to crank your source up. And yes, the mobo probably has subpar SQ. My laptop and my desktop (built myself) make things sound, let's say, different.

High-five for custom computers! I built my personal rig myself as well and it's a beast of a gaming computer. Not a fan of the onboard audio of my mobo though. Things just sound much better out of the FUBAR. However, I'd say if one was content with how it sounds out of the onboard audio, the 558s are just fine running off the basic setup.

Nov 27, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #831 of 1,140
High-five for custom computers! I built my personal rig myself as well and it's a beast of a gaming computer. Not a fan of the onboard audio of my mobo though. Things just sound much better out of the FUBAR. However, I'd say if one was content with how it sounds out of the onboard audio, the 558s are just fine running off the basic setup.
You're on the PC thread, right? Foobar is a good music player, but if you're a n00b, it takes a bit of getting used to. iTunes makes everything sound all quiet, WMP can't play anything, etc. My laptop... Holy crap it makes everything sound lifeless, unless I run through Foobar. I switched from an iPhone 4S to a HTC One (M7) and compared to the iPhone, music isn't as lush, and bass is lacking.

Nov 30, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #832 of 1,140
Quote:
You're on the PC thread, right? Foobar is a good music player, but if you're a n00b, it takes a bit of getting used to. iTunes makes everything sound all quiet, WMP can't play anything, etc. My laptop... Holy crap it makes everything sound lifeless, unless I run through Foobar. I switched from an iPhone 4S to a HTC One (M7) and compared to the iPhone, music isn't as lush, and bass is lacking.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/627598/pc-enthusiast-fi-pc-gaming-hardware-software-overclocking/7110

You mean that one? Nope, not subscribed to that yet haha. Unless I'm on the go, I haven't listened to anything without a DAC/Amp in a long while. I've got the FUBAR IV Plus running from my main desktop and a NuForce uDac 2 for my Macbook while I'm at home on the weekends.

Dec 29, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #834 of 1,140
  This question may sound stupid but I have no idea how to open my Senneheister HD518s. I need to do it because I think I have some dust or hair on the drivers and I need to clean them up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-kJ7sN16qw
Not sure if this applies to the 518s too, but give it a shot.
BTW, how did you get hair IN the driver?

Dec 29, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #836 of 1,140
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-kJ7sN16qw
Not sure if this applies to the 518s too, but give it a shot.
BTW, how did you get hair IN the driver?

I opened it using a thin blade around the sides. Found it easier than just using nails to unclup the ear cup. Worked out find. I just only found hair on the black dust filter and cleaned it up. I guess it sounds a bit better now.

Jan 2, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #837 of 1,140
Ok it appears one/both ears are going out occasionally.  I switched to the original cable from the shortcable and everything is working fine for 3 songs at least.  Do you think the culprit could be the cable?  Or is it likely the headphones may be going bad?   

Jan 2, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #838 of 1,140
  Ok it appears one/both ears are going out occasionally.  I switched to the original cable from the shortcable and everything is working fine for 3 songs at least.  Do you think the culprit could be the cable?  Or is it likely the headphones may be going bad?   

Either the cable or the plug socket. Keep using the stock cable. If the sound cuts out wiggle the plug where it connects into the headphones.

beerchug.gif

Jan 3, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #840 of 1,140
Hey guys! 

I've got a question about Sennheiser HD 598,that I've got from like one week. I really love the sound,I was worried a bit that the bass will be too weak for me,but It is actually way stronger that I thought it will be.Overall it is a very good upgrade from my old Steelseries Siberia v2. I've got only one problem that annoys me a bit. When I'm listening to a really bass-heavy music,I can hear kind of a rattle coming from the left earcup. I opened the headphones and "de-haired" them,because I heard that it might cause the problem,but it did not help,still can hear the same rattling.I was planning to buy an amplifier in the future,but I think that it will cause even more rattlle.
I'm using a integrated sound card at the moment,ALC1150.

Do you have any ideas how I can fix this problem? Also,I'm sorry for my non-perfect english :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back