Sennheiser HD518 HD558 HD598 HD559 HD589 HD579 HD599 Support Thread
Jun 7, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #676 of 1,140
  Alright I got my 558s in.  They are too quiet even at max volume for me so I think I'll need an amp.  Is it worth upgrading to the e11 from e6 just for the longer battery life?  I just want a volume boost and already have the e6

I would spend a drop more and get the E12. By the way, you can't use the E11 while the battery is charging.

Jun 10, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #677 of 1,140
  I would spend a drop more and get the E12. By the way, you can't use the E11 while the battery is charging.

what is better about the e12 over the e11?   You can get the e11+ extra battery+ external battery charger for $65 on amazon.  Doing that and just swapping out the battery for a fully charged one seems kind of appealing to me. 

Jun 10, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #678 of 1,140
  what is better about the e12 over the e11?   You can get the e11+ extra battery+ external battery charger for $65 on amazon.  Doing that and just swapping out the battery for a fully charged one seems kind of appealing to me. 

The E12 is a much better amp and has a much better build quality. The price difference isn't large in the world of headphone amps.

Jun 10, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #679 of 1,140
Last question hopefully.  I got the short cable in the mail today and there was some hiss and the sound was horrible until I disconnected the cable and hooked it up again.   Can this be caused by not having the cable locked properly?  I'm not sure what the warranty is on refurbished stuff from amazon but, I'm hoping this was just a fluke occurrence.      

Jun 10, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #680 of 1,140
  Last question hopefully.  I got the short cable in the mail today and there was some hiss and the sound was horrible until I disconnected the cable and hooked it up again.   Can this be caused by not having the cable locked properly?  I'm not sure what the warranty is on refurbished stuff from amazon but, I'm hoping this was just a fluke occurrence.      

Don't argue with success. 
biggrin.gif

Jun 11, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #681 of 1,140
Is it normal for for on some recordings for there to be an almost inaudible static noise?   Sometimes I don't notice it other times I do.  I'm curious if this is a defect, a quailty of the recording, or the definition of the airy quality I hear about

Jun 11, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #682 of 1,140
  Is it normal for for on some recordings for there to be an almost inaudible static noise?   Sometimes I don't notice it other times I do.  I'm curious if this is a defect, a quailty of the recording, or the definition of the airy quality I hear about

Could you tell us which recordings? I could find out. 

Jun 14, 2014 at 7:03 AM Post #684 of 1,140
Hi guys,
I picked up a pair of hd558 on impulse yesterday since I happened to find them at half price in a local store. I only paid $100 for them which is very cheap over here.

I bought them to use when watching TV and movies since I wanted something with great comfort and that can be driven directly from my receiver.

Since I usually make a mod if there's one available I removed the black foam and also the cloth covering the drivers.

I must say that for my intended use they're spot on. Most comfortable cans I've got and work great from my receiver.

I'm also pretty impressed with their music playback, very nice and balanced sounding.

They work great with both my Magni and LD I+ at home and also sounds very nice with e12 and x3 for a portable solution. Actually so far I think the best match is with the e12 (from lo on the x3).

I'm a sucker for budget stash that punches above it's price and the hd558 have made me pleasently surprised so far.

Jun 23, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #688 of 1,140
I think it's worth it. It's easy to do and fully reversible so I'd give it a try.

I still can't believe the value these offers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back