Sennheiser HD518 HD558 HD598 HD559 HD589 HD579 HD599 Support Thread
Jul 10, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #706 of 1,140
that is good to hear. I am glad you like the 650.Since they cost so much more than the 558, it would have been a letdown if there was not that much difference.

It would be interesting if you could someday compare a 600 and 650 back to back and give us your thoughts.

No way I am buying a HD600. There's plenty comparisons on the HD650 and HD600 thread though!

Jul 13, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #709 of 1,140
I'm searching for a pair of headphones right now for gaming and music. I personally like fun sounding headphones, but I don't know if I should get a pair of refurbished Sennheiser HD558s for $89 or a pair of Grado SR80e + L-cush pads for a total of $120. Help would be gladly appreciated.

Jul 14, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #710 of 1,140
  I'm searching for a pair of headphones right now for gaming and music. I personally like fun sounding headphones, but I don't know if I should get a pair of refurbished Sennheiser HD558s for $89 or a pair of Grado SR80e + L-cush pads for a total of $120. Help would be gladly appreciated.

HD558 would be a better choice for gaming IMO (based off from my gaming experience with my HD598), and for $90 you can't go wrong. You may find the SR80 lacking in the lower end and maybe a little too shrill on the higher end. For gaming, you want a flatter response, especially in the mids.

beerchug.gif

Jul 16, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #711 of 1,140
I have a pair of HD558's and also Grado SR60i. I love them both for different reasons but when I want a "fun" headphone I reach for the Grado every time. It is truly a punchy rock and roll headphone with a more "in your head" soundstage. The HD558 is the more "neutral" headphone with bigger soundstage that sounds great with all music but it doesn't have the "punch" the Grados have.

BTW - Ive never heard the SR80 but I am so happy with the SR60 I have no real desire to try it.

Jul 16, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #712 of 1,140
Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone has tried this replacement cable:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-cable-with-Remote-Mic-connect-iphone-to-Sennheiser-HD598-HD558-HD518-/261280639444
What's the quality of the mic like? And does it work with pc or only apple products?

Also, I've been searching everywhere for a 2.5mm male to 3.5mm female audio jack adapter with the sennheiser twist lock mechanism. It would be ideal for the V-Moda BoomPro but I can't find it anywhere and I don't want to remove the locking mechanism if possible. Does such an adapter exist?

Any help is hugely appreciated!

Jul 17, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #713 of 1,140
Hey all,

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-cable-with-Remote-Mic-connect-iphone-to-Sennheiser-HD598-HD558-HD518-/261280639444

What's the quality of the mic like? And does it work with pc or only apple products?

Also, I've been searching everywhere for a 2.5mm male to 3.5mm female audio jack adapter with the sennheiser twist lock mechanism. It would be ideal for the V-Moda BoomPro but I can't find it anywhere and I don't want to remove the locking mechanism if possible. Does such an adapter exist?

modmic.com, a little more expensive though

Aug 13, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #714 of 1,140
  Hey all,

Hey, I've got a question back at you about this replacement cable question: are you getting one because you want the mic and controls or because you want a shorter cable? I got a replacement cable that has nylon sleeving over it and it's a fantastic fit for me, but I don't need mic or controls so it's just a cable. Love it though, it's really nice. Here it is if you wanna take a look exactly at what I'm talking about:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261255113290?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&var=560215640800&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The cable under the sleeving is red and it shows through more than in the pics. The sleeving isn't sparse or anything, but it looks even better in reality than the pictures. Again, this would be my recommendation only if you aren't looking for the mic and controls because this doesn't have any.

Aug 13, 2014 at 1:46 AM Post #715 of 1,140
I'm wondering, has anyone messed around with the grilles of the HD558s? As in I think these would look a lot better if they had grilles like the HD598s. Anyone done anything like that with theirs? Even the plastic honeycomb grilles would look better if they didn't put that thin fabric over it in my opinion.

Aug 13, 2014 at 2:20 AM Post #716 of 1,140
@Midgetguy

I agree, that's a nice cable as long as you don't need the mic. I've got one for my q701's also.

Aug 13, 2014 at 2:29 AM Post #717 of 1,140
@Midgetguy

I agree, that's a nice cable as long as you don't need the mic. I've got one for my q701's also.

Yeah, I'm very happy with it. It has the locking mechanism and I like that it's a 1/4" that screws off to get a 3.5mm, which is definitely nicer than the giant stock 1/4" to 3.5mm adapter provided by Sennheiser. Also since I don't need it to be 10 feet long, I have most of the stock cable velcro-tied in a bundle, which was just somewhat annoying. This short cable is much nicer to deal with :)

Aug 14, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #718 of 1,140
Yeah, I'm very happy with it. It has the locking mechanism and I like that it's a 1/4" that screws off to get a 3.5mm, which is definitely nicer than the giant stock 1/4" to 3.5mm adapter provided by Sennheiser. Also since I don't need it to be 10 feet long, I have most of the stock cable velcro-tied in a bundle, which was just somewhat annoying. This short cable is much nicer to deal with :)
How's the quality? Does t seem like it's gonna fall apart quickly?

Aug 14, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #719 of 1,140
I love my HD 558, but I've been interested in the black foam mod. I cannot get my ear pads off though, I am afraid I am going to tear the padding.

*edit* got one off. The other is being a bitch!

*edit 2* Since I have done the foam mod on my left and not my right ear, I can tell the difference very clearly. Let me first of all say its very similar sound, it just has a more open airy sound... which is what other people said but it really makes sense now. Another good word to use would be cleaner, it doesnt sound so muddled down or what ever with the foam pad. The bass and kick drum also sounds slightly more pronounced. Overall i'd say removing the foam mod is worth the few extra minutes it takes to do. Certainly is getting the most out of the headphone, imo. Very similar though, with them both on at the same time I really really have to focus to try and hear the difference, but it is more of a feeling you get from the airwaves than the sound changing.

*edit 3* Mod complete. With both ears modded the fullness of the sound is so much more obvious. Really is a night and day mod to me, I got really use to the sound of the black tape, so the difference are standing out pretty well. Overall, it sounds better in every way, imo. The low bass sounds SO much better, and the highs sound more natural. That black foam is seriously just a middle finger to people who don't want to buy the 598. And calling a piece of black foam tape an "Internal Sound Reflector" is nothing more than a marketing ploy.

Aug 14, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #720 of 1,140
How's the quality? Does t seem like it's gonna fall apart quickly?

The build feels great so far, no sign of anything that should cause future problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back