Sennheiser HD518 HD558 HD598 HD559 HD589 HD579 HD599 Support Thread
Aug 14, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #721 of 1,140
How's the quality? Does t seem like it's gonna fall apart quickly?

Like peter123 said, it looks like it should last. I've only had mine for about a month though so if by quickly you mean a month, then no they won't fall apart quickly haha. I also like the strain relief on the 3.5mm end cuz it's a spring which I think will hold up better than notched rubber like most cables. If you're thinking about getting it, I don't see a reason not to. I'd give it 2 thumbs up.

Aug 14, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #722 of 1,140
Aug 14, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #723 of 1,140
Like peter123 said, it looks like it should last. I've only had mine for about a month though so if by quickly you mean a month, then no they won't fall apart quickly haha. I also like the strain relief on the 3.5mm end cuz it's a spring which I think will hold up better than notched rubber like most cables. If you're thinking about getting it, I don't see a reason not to. I'd give it 2 thumbs up.
A spring? Seems nice. I'm broke at the moment, and I'm probably gonna be spending on other things (I have a lot of interests). This'll be on my list. I've always wanted to use my 558s out and about (I know), but the darn cable...

Aug 15, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #724 of 1,140
A spring? Seems nice. I'm broke at the moment, and I'm probably gonna be spending on other things (I have a lot of interests). This'll be on my list. I've always wanted to use my 558s out and about (I know), but the darn cable...

I only use my headphones at my desk, but it seems like they should be able to stand up to going places. And at least they aren't upwards of $50-100 like some aftermarket cables are. They do ship from China though, so it took a bit over a week for me to receive them in Washington. The plug housings are either metal or some really classy-looking looking plastic. Either way, seems pretty sturdy to me.

Aug 15, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #725 of 1,140
I only use my headphones at my desk, but it seems like they should be able to stand up to going places. And at least they aren't upwards of $50-100 like some aftermarket cables are. They do ship from China though, so it took a bit over a week for me to receive them in Washington. The plug housings are either metal or some really classy-looking looking plastic. Either way, seems pretty sturdy to me.
(Some people) "Hurr-durr, open headphones outside?!?!?!?" Yeah. I prefer the sound and openness of em. My M-80s make everything sound cramped.

Aug 16, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #726 of 1,140
(Some people) "Hurr-durr, open headphones outside?!?!?!?" Yeah. I prefer the sound and openness of em. My M-80s make everything sound cramped.

I'm one of the people that likes isolation when I'm out and about; it's why I use IEMs when I'm going places and headphones at home. But there's no reason we can't enjoy the same sound in different settings :D

Aug 16, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #727 of 1,140

I love my XS, maybe a little cramped but they do everything pretty well. 

Aug 17, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #729 of 1,140
  I love my HD 558, but I've been interested in the black foam mod. I cannot get my ear pads off though, I am afraid I am going to tear the padding.

*edit* got one off. The other is being a bitch!

*edit 2* Since I have done the foam mod on my left and not my right ear, I can tell the difference very clearly. Let me first of all say its very similar sound, it just has a more open airy sound... which is what other people said but it really makes sense now. Another good word to use would be cleaner, it doesnt sound so muddled down or what ever with the foam pad. The bass and kick drum also sounds slightly more pronounced. Overall i'd say removing the foam mod is worth the few extra minutes it takes to do. Certainly is getting the most out of the headphone, imo. Very similar though, with them both on at the same time I really really have to focus to try and hear the difference, but it is more of a feeling you get from the airwaves than the sound changing.

*edit 3* Mod complete. With both ears modded the fullness of the sound is so much more obvious. Really is a night and day mod to me, I got really use to the sound of the black tape, so the difference are standing out pretty well. Overall, it sounds better in every way, imo. The low bass sounds SO much better, and the highs sound more natural. That black foam is seriously just a middle finger to people who don't want to buy the 598. And calling a piece of black foam tape an "Internal Sound Reflector" is nothing more than a marketing ploy.

Also, I have to add, after removing the black foam from the HD 558 the rattling stopped when ever I tried EQing. Before if I turned up the bass at all it would start rattling, I figured they just werent bassy headphones, but no. They actually accept EQing really well now and can get the bass pumping with the right settings. (although, I must stress that these headphones really don't need EQing at all and is exactly the sound i'm looking for...for now).

Aug 17, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #730 of 1,140

Also, I have to add, after removing the black foam from the HD 558 the rattling stopped when ever I tried EQing. Before if I turned up the bass at all it would start rattling, I figured they just werent bassy headphones, but no. They actually accept EQing really well now and can get the bass pumping with the right settings. (although, I must stress that these headphones really don't need EQing at all and is exactly the sound i'm looking for...for now).

Maybe the foam was touching something it shouldn't have been, or some kind of hair or debris was in there that fell out when you removed the foam.  I did the mod a month ago and reversed it, as I prefer the more intimate and punchy sound with the foam.  I add around 10db of bass on average with parametric eq, with a big 14db spike at 47hz, and have had no rattle issues.  I had been using EQ before the mod with no issues.

Aug 18, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #731 of 1,140
  I love my HD 558, but I've been interested in the black foam mod. I cannot get my ear pads off though, I am afraid I am going to tear the padding.

*edit* got one off. The other is being a bitch!

*edit 2* Since I have done the foam mod on my left and not my right ear, I can tell the difference very clearly. Let me first of all say its very similar sound, it just has a more open airy sound... which is what other people said but it really makes sense now. Another good word to use would be cleaner, it doesnt sound so muddled down or what ever with the foam pad. The bass and kick drum also sounds slightly more pronounced. Overall i'd say removing the foam mod is worth the few extra minutes it takes to do. Certainly is getting the most out of the headphone, imo. Very similar though, with them both on at the same time I really really have to focus to try and hear the difference, but it is more of a feeling you get from the airwaves than the sound changing.

*edit 3* Mod complete. With both ears modded the fullness of the sound is so much more obvious. Really is a night and day mod to me, I got really use to the sound of the black tape, so the difference are standing out pretty well. Overall, it sounds better in every way, imo. The low bass sounds SO much better, and the highs sound more natural. That black foam is seriously just a middle finger to people who don't want to buy the 598. And calling a piece of black foam tape an "Internal Sound Reflector" is nothing more than a marketing ploy.

I found the mod to make the sound more detailed for sure, especially in the highs, but with that detail came fatigue that was not present before the mod.  Also, I think the bass was a little loose after the mod and a little more boomy.  I ended up getting a 598 instead, and it is much better overall.  Better detail with tighter bass and the highs weren't as shrill which made the fatigue go away. So, the difference is more than just the tape, and it was definitely worth the money for the upgrade.  

Aug 18, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #732 of 1,140

I found the mod to make the sound more detailed for sure, especially in the highs, but with that detail came fatigue that was not present before the mod.  Also, I think the bass was a little loose after the mod and a little more boomy.  I ended up getting a 598 instead, and it is much better overall.  Better detail with tighter bass and the highs weren't as shrill which made the fatigue go away. So, the difference is more than just the tape, and it was definitely worth the money for the upgrade.  

Man, dont tell me that. Haha I might just have to upgrade. The grill and leather is definitely nicer on the 598 just by looking at it. Either that for the 650 if I really want to upgrade.

*edit* So I was still in the return period for my 558's so I went ahead and got cash back for them and ordered next day shipping for some 598's from amazon. Can't wait to try them out to see if/how much different they sound.

Aug 18, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #733 of 1,140

Man, dont tell me that. Haha I might just have to upgrade. The grill and leather is definitely nicer on the 598 just by looking at it. Either that for the 650 if I really want to upgrade.

*edit* So I was still in the return period for my 558's so I went ahead and got cash back for them and ordered next day shipping for some 598's from amazon. Can't wait to try them out to see if/how much different they sound.

Haha, ya I hear ya.  I've been curious about the 650's too, and just ordered a pair.  I'll have to see how those compare once I get them.  I hate this site!!  Always makes me want to try new stuff....lol

Aug 19, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #734 of 1,140
  Haha, ya I hear ya.  I've been curious about the 650's too, and just ordered a pair.  I'll have to see how those compare once I get them.  I hate this site!!  Always makes me want to try new stuff....lol

Please let me know how the 650's compare. My 598's should be here in a few hours, that prime 1-day shipping is insane! Will be posting my comparison, I'm halfway expecting them to be identical to the modded 558's. 

Aug 19, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #735 of 1,140
  Please let me know how the 650's compare. My 598's should be here in a few hours, that prime 1-day shipping is insane! Will be posting my comparison, I'm halfway expecting them to be identical to the modded 558's. 

Let me know what ya think.  I will post when I get the 650's, probably won't be until at least end of week though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back