Sennheiser HD518 HD558 HD598 HD559 HD589 HD579 HD599 Support Thread
Mar 14, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #586 of 1,140
@daniel0407

How would you compare the 558 and 598?  Is your 558 stock?  Is 598 good for movies/games? 
Thanks

hi! My 558 was stock, any mod at all. I like it better than the 598, I feel it gives a better texture to the music, and more emotion. The 598 has a slightly better sound stage, but both are very good on this area.

Have a nice day,

Daniel

Mar 18, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #587 of 1,140
How do you guys feel about silver plated cables for hd558s? I saw a seller on ebay selling DIY silver cables for around 40ish dollars. I'm kinda interested if it makes any difference in the sound quality.

Mar 24, 2014 at 3:41 AM Post #589 of 1,140
Considering getting the 558s or 598s but I'm not sure of how much of an upgrade they would be to my AKG K167 that I've been using everyday for the past year. Can anyone give me some advice on this?

Mar 24, 2014 at 6:44 AM Post #590 of 1,140
  Considering getting the 558s or 598s but I'm not sure of how much of an upgrade they would be to my AKG K167 that I've been using everyday for the past year. Can anyone give me some advice on this?

Open headphones are a lot different from closed, i can tell you that.

Mar 26, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #591 of 1,140
Hello,

A week ago I purchased a pair of HD 558's for gaming purposes for my relatively new gaming PC. These are my first pair of quality headphones so I wanted to try out something simple to start with. I have tested the HD 558 and while I like the sound quality, it is not very loud on full volume when it is connected to either my front audio jack or back audio jack on my computer case. I also think the sound quality is a little unclear in my opinion. I am not an audiophile so that is just my observations so far. I have heard that a sound card, DAC, or amplifier can improve the sound quality and volume control for these headphones. Is there any specific audio devices you guys would recommend?

So far based what I have read from various online sources, these look like potential candidates:

Asus Xonar U7
Fiio E07K
Fiio E11
Creative Sound Blaster Z

Thanks.

Mar 26, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #592 of 1,140
  Hello,

A week ago I purchased a pair of HD 558's for gaming purposes for my relatively new gaming PC. These are my first pair of quality headphones so I wanted to try out something simple to start with. I have tested the HD 558 and while I like the sound quality, it is not very loud on full volume when it is connected to either my front audio jack or back audio jack on my computer case. I also think the sound quality is a little unclear in my opinion. I am not an audiophile so that is just my observations so far. I have heard that a sound card, DAC, or amplifier can improve the sound quality and volume control for these headphones. Is there any specific audio devices you guys would recommend?

So far based what I have read from various online sources, these look like potential candidates:

Asus Xonar U7
Fiio E07K
Fiio E11
Creative Sound Blaster Z

Thanks.

A cheap Xonar DG will actually work for HD558s (like $15 on Amazon w/ rebate). Give them some time. They may not be your cup of tea though, they are not the clearest sounding I admit, but I use them a lot alongside my Q701's. 

Mar 26, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #593 of 1,140
  A cheap Xonar DG will actually work for HD558s (like $15 on Amazon w/ rebate). Give them some time. They may not be your cup of tea though, they are not the clearest sounding I admit, but I use them a lot alongside my Q701's. 

I like that the price is much lower than the sound cards I have listed, but I am a clutz so I would be worried about damaging an internal sound card if I try to place it in the case it myself. I am not sure how fragile or how it is compared to other computer components. Plus, since the HD 558 has a low 50 ohm, does it require a sound card with a very low impedance output?

Yeah that is why I ordered these from Amazon in case I do not like the SQ. I wanted a headphone with a clear, accurate sounds. The other headphones option in that price range seem to alter the sound in some way, like adding more bass. I am not sure if I would be interested in enhanced bass.

Mar 26, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #594 of 1,140

I like that the price is much lower than the sound cards I have listed, but I am a clutz so I would be worried about damaging an internal sound card if I try to place it in the case it myself. I am not sure how fragile or how it is compared to other computer components. Plus, since the HD 558 has a low 50 ohm, does it require a sound card with a very low impedance output?

Yeah that is why I ordered these from Amazon in case I do not like the SQ. I wanted a headphone with a clear, accurate sounds. The other headphones option in that price range seem to alter the sound in some way, like adding more bass. I am not sure if I would be interested in enhanced bass.

The sound card is very easy to install. You wouldn't damage it I'm pretty sure, you'd have to probably step on it. It's like installing a low end graphics card. Don't worry I'm a clutz too :D. I have to say; I'm not all into technical stuff sorry, but the sound card works great, some other head-fier on the amping forum suggested it for me. You could try posting this in the amping forum and see if you want more opinions there. Here's a video on how easy it is to install:

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #595 of 1,140
  The sound card is very easy to install. You wouldn't damage it I'm pretty sure, you'd have to probably step on it. It's like installing a low end graphics card. Don't worry I'm a clutz too :D. I have to say; I'm not all into technical stuff sorry, but the sound card works great, some other head-fier on the amping forum suggested it for me. You could try posting this in the amping forum and see if you want more opinions there. Here's a video on how easy it is to install:

Thanks for your help and the video. I had someone else build my computer for me but it does not look to be that difficult. I have a PCI-E MB so I think a DGX would be better. I will have to research more on these internal xonar cards to see if they would work for other headphones such as DT-880/990 and other headphones in that price range in case the HD 558 do not work for me.

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #596 of 1,140

Thanks for your help and the video. I had someone else build my computer for me but it does not look to be that difficult. I have a PCI-E MB so I think a DGX would be better. I will have to research more on these internal xonar cards to see if they would work for other headphones such as DT-880/990 and other headphones in that price range in case the HD 558 do not work for me.

Send a PM to Malveux. He's very helpful

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #597 of 1,140
http://www.head-fi.org/u/179563/malveaux

Mar 26, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #598 of 1,140
I have the Xonar DG card and I am very happy with it.  And, yes, it will make a huge difference in your opinion of the SQ on your 558s.

Oh, and if you get one, make sure you enable the Dolby Headphone feature.  It expands the soundstage dramatically. 

Mar 27, 2014 at 5:09 AM Post #599 of 1,140
http://www.head-fi.org/u/179563/malveaux

Thanks, I will send him a message to see if he is interested.
  I have the Xonar DG card and I am very happy with it.  And, yes, it will make a huge difference in your opinion of the SQ on your 558s.

Oh, and if you get one, make sure you enable the Dolby Headphone feature.  It expands the soundstage dramatically. 

Gotcha. This card will be one of the choices.

Mar 27, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #600 of 1,140

Man, am I the only one who hates the Dolby Headset feature. For gaming its good but for music listening... No.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back