Sennheiser HD518 HD558 HD598 HD559 HD589 HD579 HD599 Support Thread
Apr 8, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #601 of 1,140
well, this weekend I will get my HD 558, I really enjoy good music but these will be my first quality headphones, hope to enjoy the experience. I will power them directly to my computer, home theather, or ipod at least for now, I will look for a DAQ/AMP combo but I will need to save a little for that. These will come from an authorized reseller with 2 year warranty, so at least in the few months I wont perform the foam mod, I am afraid something breaks haha probably in the future when I get familiar with the product haha

Apr 9, 2014 at 12:36 AM Post #602 of 1,140
Those $1 plug adapters off of fleabay can come in handy: http://www.erji.net/simple/index.php?t1313516.html

Apr 9, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #603 of 1,140
  well, this weekend I will get my HD 558, I really enjoy good music but these will be my first quality headphones, hope to enjoy the experience. I will power them directly to my computer, home theather, or ipod at least for now, I will look for a DAQ/AMP combo but I will need to save a little for that. These will come from an authorized reseller with 2 year warranty, so at least in the few months I wont perform the foam mod, I am afraid something breaks haha probably in the future when I get familiar with the product haha

It's actually really easy. I haven't done it though, I just opened them up to take a look at the tape.

Apr 9, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #604 of 1,140

Unless you're dangerous, the black foam mod is very easy and takes but a few minutes to get done. You will not need any exotic tools or a jack hammer.

Apr 12, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #605 of 1,140
So I'm interested in buying Fiio x3 as my DAP but I'm also aware that it has a narrow soundstage in terms of sound quality (confirmed this from a user of X3 with an akg q701 cans). Butcomparing the X3 to my current device (samsung galaxy s3) do you guys think that the x3 has a better soundstage than my current device? Your comments will be very much helpful and appreciated. :)

Apr 12, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #606 of 1,140
Soundstage is created (simulated) by the dispersion pattern of the transducer and the enclosure in the form of direct and reflected/delayed sound waves entering the ear from different directions and times.

I dont see how an amplifier can affect this phenominon.

Apr 13, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #607 of 1,140
Soundstage is created (simulated) by the dispersion pattern of the transducer and the enclosure in the form of direct and reflected/delayed sound waves entering the ear from different directions and times.

I dont see how an amplifier can affect this phenominon.

Crapulent crosstalk.  Or how well the amp controls the drivers.
Underpower a headphone and and the sound waves coming from the drivers won't quite be the same at all, then the reflected/delayed sound waves will no longer be the same as before, either, duh.
But in an open-back headphone, you get very little audible delayed/reflected sound waves going around the place compared to a closed back, so how is the soundstage made?  It's all in the recording, relatively, and assuming the headphone is powered well.  And how is the recording creating the soundstage?  Well, try asking in a music production forum instead, haha.

Alternatively, run 2 volts DC through each driver in your favorite headphone for a split second and see how the soundstaging changes.
*Note, I take no responsibility for any damage to personal, or otherwise, property caused by executing the above statement.

Apr 13, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #608 of 1,140
Crapulent crosstalk.  Or how well the amp controls the drivers.
Underpower a headphone and and the sound waves coming from the drivers won't quite be the same at all, then the reflected/delayed sound waves will no longer be the same as before, either, duh.
But in an open-back headphone, you get very little audible delayed/reflected sound waves going around the place compared to a closed back, so how is the soundstage made?  It's all in the recording, relatively, and assuming the headphone is powered well.  And how is the recording creating the soundstage?  Well, try asking in a music production forum instead, haha.

Alternatively, run 2 volts DC through each driver in your favorite headphone for a split second and see how the soundstaging changes.
*Note, I take no responsibility for any damage to personal, or otherwise, property caused by executing the above statement.

With a sensitivity of 112 dB, 1 mW will more than suffice. Into 50 ohms the Fiio X3 puts out more than 100 mW.

Apr 13, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #609 of 1,140
With a sensitivity of 112 dB, 1 mW will more than suffice. Into 50 ohms the Fiio X3 puts out more than 100 mW.

Don't forget the impedance curve.  It's the reason why HD558/598/600/650 will "synergize" with some headphone amps and sound crappy out of others that, from their specs, are far more than "powerful enough" for them.  It's far more complicated than sensitivity and the "nominal impedance" number shown on boxes.  I don't know how far the rabbit hole goes there.

Apr 13, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #610 of 1,140
I own a pair of HD 518s.  I like the sound that I get from them and I know they're the "entry level audiophile headphones" from Sennheiser.  They leak sound alot because I have to keep them low so I don't disturb my coworkers.  Found that out when I was listening to Cult of Personality at a somewhat loud level.  

Apr 13, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #611 of 1,140
  I own a pair of HD 518s.  I like the sound that I get from them and I know they're the "entry level audiophile headphones" from Sennheiser.  They leak sound alot because I have to keep them low so I don't disturb my coworkers.  Found that out when I was listening to Cult of Personality at a somewhat loud level.  

They leak all the sound. They're open and that's normal. You probably don't listen to them at a loud level. 

Apr 13, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #612 of 1,140
Don't forget the impedance curve.  It's the reason why HD558/598/600/650 will "synergize" with some headphone amps and sound crappy out of others that, from their specs, are far more than "powerful enough" for them.  It's far more complicated than sensitivity and the "nominal impedance" number shown on boxes.  I don't know how far the rabbit hole goes there.

"Synergy" is a great way to make something seem more complex than it is. There is only one thing you need to know to match a headphone to an amplifier, and that is Ohms Law. Sure, we could go on and on about nominal impedance, the impedance spike at 100 Hz, and how amplifier output impedance acts as a voltage divider, but it really isnt necessary.

The Fiio X3 has an output impedance of < 1 ohm and is rated at 30 mW into 300 ohms (the peak impedance of the HD 598 at its resonant frequency). Suffice it to say that the power requirements of Sennheiser headphones are grossly overstated in these forums, and with a max output of 8 volts (peak to peak) and 250 mA, the Fiio X3 will drive any pair of Sennheisers to their maximum SPL without breaking a sweat.

And still, none of this has anything to do with the ability/role of a headphone to create the illusion of soundstage. You're right - it mostly comes from DSP/natural reverb in the recording.

Apr 14, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #613 of 1,140
Man, am I the only one who hates the Dolby Headset feature. For gaming its good but for music listening... No.

I can't say if you are the only one or not but for me, the Dolby Headphone feature on my Xonar card is always on.  I never turn it off. 

Apr 14, 2014 at 7:28 AM Post #614 of 1,140

I can't say if you are the only one or not but for me, the Dolby Headphone feature on my Xonar card is always on.  I never turn it off. 

I rarely use it. It makes the treble sound weird to me. Especially on my Q's. On the 558 it's less noticeable. 

Apr 16, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #615 of 1,140
Well I received my HD558 yesterday, I am listeing to them and I think are amazing but in some songs I can hear a rattle in the left speaker, I am not sure if is something of the plastic of the headphone body or the speaker itself, any idea? 

Should I continue testing those?

Do you think I am in some way abusing of them? I dont have any amp connected and in order to listen the rattle I need a high volume, but not too much at least in my opinion. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back