Sennheiser HD518 HD558 HD598 HD559 HD589 HD579 HD599 Support Thread
Oct 15, 2014 at 2:08 AM Post #782 of 1,140
For anyone who's interested in seeing a non-stock photo of the cable I keep saying is a good fit and quite nice, here you go!

The large end is a 1/4" jack, but it unscrews to reveal the normal 3.5mm jack underneath. I think this is a nice cable to use.

Oct 15, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #783 of 1,140
For anyone who's interested in seeing a non-stock photo of the cable I keep saying is a good fit and quite nice, here you go!

The large end is a 1/4" jack, but it unscrews to reveal the normal 3.5mm jack underneath. I think this is a nice cable to use.

I agreed, I use the same cable and I'm very happy with it's looks and ergonomics :)

Oct 15, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #784 of 1,140
Hi all.
Does it still has a headband crack problem? I found some old posts saying that its quite common for hd 558 and 598. I really want to get those for gaming, because my skullcandy cracked at the headband on both sides and duct tape makes them look ugly.

Oct 15, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #785 of 1,140

That looks gorgeous.

Hi all.
Does it still has a headband crack problem? I found some old posts saying that its quite common for hd 558 and 598. I really want to get those for gaming, because my skullcandy cracked at the headband on both sides and duct tape makes them look ugly.
Those are old posts, Sennheiser fixed the problem a couple years ago. If you buy used, put them on your head. Of you hear creaking, then it's probably an old version.

Oct 15, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #786 of 1,140
I was ready to give my 558s away because they sounded boring compared to my X1's. Glad I gave the foam mod a chance before ditching them. The mids feel more present and snappy while maintaining the appropriate warmth. The only EQ adjustment I made was turning the treble down 2 notches.

Oct 15, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #787 of 1,140
I was ready to give my 558s away because they sounded boring compared to my X1's. Glad I gave the foam mod a chance before ditching them. The mids feel more present and snappy while maintaining the appropriate warmth. The only EQ adjustment I made was turning the treble down 2 notches.
Well, the 558s weren't necessarily meant to be fun-sounding.

Oct 16, 2014 at 2:54 AM Post #789 of 1,140
Hi all.

Not as far as I can tell. Pretty sure they fixed the problem for the HD 5x8 series actually. I've been rocking my set for nearly 2 years and as you can see in the photos, they're pretty much how they came outta box.

Oct 16, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #791 of 1,140
Right? The cable's fantastic. And if you were talking about the photos themselves, thanks! Just a little photography and editing every so often. Those weren't even the actual lighting conditions lol. The originals were all yellowed cuz of the indoor lighting.
A little bit of both :D
You should put those of the photography thread.

Nov 9, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #792 of 1,140
Ok, signed up for this. Hello all. Anyone have any idea why people seem to complain about bass on Sennheisers so much? I have had a pair of HD 558s for a month or so now, and I just got ahold of an Aune T1 MK2 to go with them. Have one of those new-made Genalex Gold Lion tubes in it. I had HD 280s years ago, but I barely remember how they sounded and I fed them from a crappy onboard sound card then.

So uh, what's wrong with the bass? I LOVE the bass I'm getting. The presence of it is unlike anything I've heard before. Usually right in the center and deliciously full. In every genre I've tried it's there. Even modern drum and bass tracks like Pendulum's Visions (bassiest one I could think of off the top of my head) have that awesome feeling of a low rumble in my head. Just like my JVC HA-FX3X buds which are made to be super bassy.

Are people saying there's phones out there that give you the actual body rumble as if you were standing in a concert? I find that hard to believe, but I've come here to ask. I've tried classical, classic rock, newer acoustic indie stuff, drum and bass, house, and more on these and have been nothing but impressed. Especially by the older genres. Dear god my old favourites sound good not coming out of an FM radio. The soundstage and separation are amazing as I learn for the first time what they truly are and how to appreciate them.

The only thing I find interesting is that I feel the vocals and mids are still behind everything else. People with this type of setup and tube seem to usually rave about vocals and mids. But they always seem much quieter than everything else. Maybe they're supposed to be, but I dunno.

Nov 9, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #793 of 1,140

The only thing I find interesting is that I feel the vocals and mids are still behind everything else. People with this type of setup and tube seem to usually rave about vocals and mids. But they always seem much quieter than everything else. Maybe they're supposed to be, but I dunno.

Glad you are loving the HD558; They are the pair that made me pull the trigger on the HD598. The HD5X8 series uses Sennheiser's E.A.R. technology, which is basically angled drivers. One benefit of E.A.R. is that the midrange becomes more forward. I don't mean to be Captain Obvious, but how do mids and vocals sound without your tube amp? As well, are you letting the 'tubes' warm up before listening through it?

beerchug.gif

Nov 9, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #794 of 1,140
  Ok, signed up for this. Hello all. Anyone have any idea why people seem to complain about bass on Sennheisers so much? I have had a pair of HD 558s for a month or so now, and I just got ahold of an Aune T1 MK2 to go with them. Have one of those new-made Genalex Gold Lion tubes in it. I had HD 280s years ago, but I barely remember how they sounded and I fed them from a crappy onboard sound card then.

So uh, what's wrong with the bass? I LOVE the bass I'm getting. The presence of it is unlike anything I've heard before. Usually right in the center and deliciously full. In every genre I've tried it's there. Even modern drum and bass tracks like Pendulum's Visions (bassiest one I could think of off the top of my head) have that awesome feeling of a low rumble in my head. Just like my JVC HA-FX3X buds which are made to be super bassy.

Are people saying there's phones out there that give you the actual body rumble as if you were standing in a concert? I find that hard to believe, but I've come here to ask. I've tried classical, classic rock, newer acoustic indie stuff, drum and bass, house, and more on these and have been nothing but impressed. Especially by the older genres. Dear god my old favourites sound good not coming out of an FM radio. The soundstage and separation are amazing as I learn for the first time what they truly are and how to appreciate them.

People that say there's not enough bass might just be more used to more bass output from their cans or IEMs, especially if they're comparing to closed cans. I even feel like sometimes it could be lacking some bass in in comparison to my GR06s, but those are very warm and have quite a bit of bass. Also, my experience might be different from yours since I've read that you'll get a little warmer response out of tube amps and I'm running a solid-state amp. And yeah, things do sound infinitely better when it's not coming from a radio!
biggrin.gif
. On my setup, the mids seem plenty present to me, but vocals aren't always quite as there as I'd like. It depends on the music for me sometimes. I think some of the time it depends on the production of the music you're listening to.

And welcome to Head-Fi!!!

Nov 9, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #795 of 1,140
Originally Posted by Midgetguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think some of the time it depends on the production of the music you're listening to.

+1 on this. The HD558 and HD598 seem to be the epitome of crap in crap out. Both sound quite a bit better coming out of a high output impedance source such as a Hi-Fi receiver, IMO.

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back