Sennheiser HD25 Aluminium 25th anniversary edition review
Feb 14, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #316 of 380
Sennheiser removed it from the German website and 2 or 3 major music equipment stores have already delisted it. I cannot findt it on the US site either, but I just did a quick search and had a short look at the on ear section of their store. Can it be that the days of the aluminium edition are finally over?

Feb 14, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #317 of 380
  Sennheiser removed it from the German website and 2 or 3 major music equipment stores have already delisted it. I cannot findt it on the US site either, but I just did a quick search and had a short look at the on ear section of their store. Can it be that the days of the aluminium edition are finally over?

Titanium version incoming (Special David Guetta edition)

Feb 17, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #319 of 380
  is this a joke or insiders knowledge???

I wish it wasn't a joke, :p
David Guetta - Titanium reference joke, but now I brought your hopes up for nothing and deserve a spanking.
However, a Sennheiser Professor might swing by and take note of my genius joke, and bring light to a titanium version.
In fact, they should name it "Sennheiser Zen"

Feb 18, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #320 of 380
I think that the next step Senn should take is a well thought I repeat well thought update of the driver... so that it keeps its charachter but also goes more conteporary I may say... 
Hmm ... or may be after such a step the cans won't be the 25 (Alus or not) we love..???

Feb 19, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #321 of 380
I think that the next step Senn should take is a well thought I repeat well thought update of the driver... so that it keeps its charachter but also goes more conteporary I may say... 
Hmm ... or may be after such a step the cans won't be the 25 (Alus or not) we love..???
If Sennheiser cancelled the hd25 Alu's then I am afraid they did it because people will stick with the old proven formula and not some new can. The Alu's certainly are the better can, but because of their warm signature they become a preference and not an upgrade..

Mar 19, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #322 of 380
These things punch well above their weight IMO. I was demoing a couple of considerably more expensive portable options today (both planars), and although one in particular had the had the edge over the HD-25 Alu in terms of balance and transparency, neither had the fun factor! A-Bing with the Alu, I found myself reaching for the Alu with increasing enthusiasm. It just has punchier bass and seemingly more of it than these other 'phones (PM-3 and SINE, for the record); to the point where you might say the Alu has a warm sig, but damn, if it isn't just more engaging to my ears - especially with high tempo electronic music.

It's also considerably easier to drive. I'd probably be more inclined to go for one of the planars if I had a better DAP with more powerful amp, but I'd still miss the warmth and punchiness of the HD-25 Alu. I think it's gonna be a while yet before anything usurps this bad boy as my portable of choice.

Mar 19, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #323 of 380
  These things punch well above their weight IMO.  I think it's gonna be a while yet before anything usurps this bad boy as my portable of choice.

+1 
beerchug.gif

Mar 25, 2016 at 7:38 AM Post #324 of 380
make that +2. And +1 for your Albert Hofmann profile pic. For a brighter alternative the Soundmagic HP100/150 are, next to their weak earcup construction, the best side kick for the hd25 Alu's. The Soundmagic's have an attacking signature with massive sub-bass prescense. Would recommend them over and over. But HD25 Alu remain the most balanced of the two.

Mar 27, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #325 of 380
If Sennheiser cancelled the hd25 Alu's then I am afraid they did it because people will stick with the old proven formula and not some new can. The Alu's certainly are the better can, but because of their warm signature they become a preference and not an upgrade..

Much more warm than the originals? I had the amperiors and the hd25 at the same time and i prefered the hd25.... To me they ruined the hd25 sound on the amperior since it was much warmer and too bassy... Vocals, eletric guitars and overall detailed sounded much clearer and more agressive on the hd25 IMO.... For me the amperior was just a bloated and heavier hd25....

Mar 27, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #326 of 380
Much more warm than the originals? I had the amperiors and the hd25 at the same time and i prefered the hd25.... To me they ruined the hd25 sound on the amperior since it was much warmer and too bassy... Vocals, eletric guitars and overall detailed sounded much clearer and more agressive on the hd25 IMO.... For me the amperior was just a bloated and heavier hd25....

I agree the bass was a little excessive from memory despite not having owned both at amp and hd25 at the same time...had the alu instead and were definitely an improvement over the hd25 in every way except cost and extra weight from the cups. I just ordered the mass loading and damping kit from custom cans. Can't wait to hear the improves to my hd25-13!

Mar 27, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #327 of 380
_​
I agree the bass was a little excessive from memory despite not having owned both at amp and hd25 at the same time...had the alu instead and were definitely an improvement over the hd25 in every way except cost and extra weight from the cups. I just ordered the mass loading and damping kit from custom cans. Can't wait to hear the improves to my hd25-13!

Cool. And although warmer, the alus still retained the more agressive sound of the hd25?
Because i dont really want something more laidback and muddy, bloated and more muffled on the vocals like the amperiors were....
I am seeing a pair of mint alus for sale on the web (it seems they were bought on thomann 1 month ago) right now for sale but i am still thinking if ibwant to fork 160 euros on them....

Mar 28, 2016 at 5:24 AM Post #328 of 380
  _
Cool. And although warmer, the alus still retained the more agressive sound of the hd25?
Because i dont really want something more laidback and muddy, bloated and more muffled on the vocals like the amperiors were....
I am seeing a pair of mint alus for sale on the web (it seems they were bought on thomann 1 month ago) right now for sale but i am still thinking if ibwant to fork 160 euros on them....

yes both use the same 70 ohm driver but alu benefits from the alu cups (identical to the amp cups). Comparing the two, the alu bass goes down lower with much better extension. The difference in this regards is night and day. Overall the alu have perceived increased bass quantity due to the increase mass loading of the cups. Treble is slight smoother but barely. Other then this, everything is the same which makes sense given both drivers are identical. Technically the mass loading and damping kit from custom cans should have the same effect as the alu/amp cups. Note amp cable is copper while the hd25 with the exception of the hd25c and alu is steel. Copper is supposably better sonically while steel offers better durability. 

Mar 28, 2016 at 7:14 AM Post #329 of 380
yes both use the same 70 ohm driver but alu benefits from the alu cups (identical to the amp cups). Comparing the two, the alu bass goes down lower with much better extension. The difference in this regards is night and day. Overall the alu have perceived increased bass quantity due to the increase mass loading of the cups. Treble is slight smoother but barely. Other then this, everything is the same which makes sense given both drivers are identical. Technically the mass loading and damping kit from custom cans should have the same effect as the alu/amp cups. Note amp cable is copper while the hd25 with the exception of the hd25c and alu is steel. Copper is supposably better sonically while steel offers better durability. 
I agree fully with your assessments. Does that mean that the Alu's can benefit from recabling them with the amperiors cables?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back