Sennheiser HD25 Aluminium 25th anniversary edition review
Dec 14, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #301 of 380
  @DomieMic65 Dunno whether you've seen them before, but there was some discussion of these 'Yaxi' pads over on the Amperior thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/612632/sennheiser-amperior-impressions-thread/870 - never tried 'em myself though.

thnx a lot man ... just saw your reply!
Hmm ... I don't think I will order from Japan!
My bro gave me the velour pads that were with his original 25 1-II so for now I have something to "play" and make my comparisons.. :)

I don't know if its me or the Alus but I think that after about 3 weeks of normal use the cans have smoothened a bit!

Dec 20, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #302 of 380
Has anyone managed to separate the driver from the capsule without having to remove the plastic protection cover? It doesn't seem to be popping out by pressing at the centre of the cup right on top of the logo like on the standard plastic cups. I was intending to swap out the alu driver with the 600hm but instead ended up having to reassemble the hd25-13 cos the the damn alu drivers refused to pop out *sigh*.     

Dec 21, 2015 at 4:14 AM Post #303 of 380
  Has anyone managed to separate the driver from the capsule without having to remove the plastic protection cover? It doesn't seem to be popping out by pressing at the centre of the cup right on top of the logo like on the standard plastic cups. I was intending to swap out the alu driver with the 600hm but instead ended up having to reassemble the hd25-13 cos the the damn alu drivers refused to pop out *sigh*.     

You do have to press a lot harder but they do pop out you can still do it by hand but as we had to do a lot of them we made a special tool that supports it all round the edge so you can pop it out safely. If you are in the UK pop me a message and I can wang one in the post for you if you promise to send it back. If not, I suggest using the force

Dec 27, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #304 of 380
I don't see much action on this thread sadly!

The longer I listen to the Alus the more I tend to appreciate them.
It seems to me that the opened up and got much less grainier after some time (the only think that I suppose it shows the drivers age) but in every occasion quite enjoyable!
I must mention here that I mostly hear classical, vocal, opera, baroque, jazz and ethnic music. Even the Alus are supposed to be suitable for modern dj and beaty music in general I quite like them for the aforementioned genres.. OK the soundstage could be a little wider but this does not annoy me at all.. It's the 25 upfront presentation that whether you like it or not!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Dec 27, 2015 at 2:41 AM Post #305 of 380

It seems to me that the opened up and got much less grainier after some time (the only think that I suppose it shows the drivers age) but in every occasion quite enjoyable!
I must mention here that I mostly hear classical, vocal, opera, baroque, jazz and ethnic music. Even the Alus are supposed to be suitable for modern dj and beaty music in general I quite like them for the aforementioned genres.. OK the soundstage could be a little wider but this does not annoy me at all.. It's the 25 upfront presentation that whether you like it or not!!

I think that the retail price which Sennheiser has set on these (about US$325.) is
just too high considering the intense competition in that price range.

Dec 27, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #306 of 380

I think that the retail price which Sennheiser has set on these (about US$325.) is

thomann.de 169€ for my country

Dec 27, 2015 at 3:30 AM Post #307 of 380

I don't know where you're getting your prices from, but 325 USD sounds too high to me - they retail at around 150 GBP here in the UK, which is more like 225 USD. I'd be interested to know what intense competition the Alu has as well. I've demoed many portable on- and over-ears around this price range and have yet to find one I prefer overall. Some come close, and may be preferred by some - e.g. Beyer DT1350, FSP, Sony MDR-1A - but I think the Alu provides very good bang for your buck personally.

Dec 27, 2015 at 4:01 AM Post #308 of 380
thomann.de 169€ for my country

I don't know where you're getting your prices from, but 325 USD sounds too high to me - they retail at around 150 GBP here in the UK, which is more like 225 USD. I'd be interested to know what intense competition the Alu has as well. I've demoed many portable on- and over-ears around this price range and have yet to find one I prefer overall. Some come close, and may be preferred by some - e.g. Beyer DT1350, FSP, Sony MDR-1A - but I think the Alu provides very good bang for your buck personally.

Why not slow down a bit, mate.  I'm not talking out of my a### here. 
cool.gif

I'm getting my prices from Amazon.com, the largest retailer in the US and perhaps the world.
Its pricing is generally very aggressive.

Price: $329.00
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-25-ALUMINIUM-Headphones/dp/B00DW6TULO

And, as for a list of headphones in the $300.00 range, there are many indeed.
NAD HP50, Sony MDR 1R, MDR 1A, Grado 325e, B&W -- 5 II, 
the very favorably reviewed Audio Technica MSR7; Beyerdynamic DT880,
KEF 500

-- and this is just off the top of my head!

I have no interest in "putting down" the HD 25 Aluminium headphones.
My HD25 1 ii get a lot of playing time (I rewired them with copper wire BTW),
so  do my Amperior''s.

My post was simply to suggest a possible reason why this thread is not
getting as much activity as the OP had hoped.

Dec 27, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #309 of 380

Why not slow down a bit, mate.  I'm not talking out of my a### here. 
cool.gif

I'm getting my prices from Amazon.com, the largest retailer in the US and perhaps the world.
Its pricing is generally very aggressive.

Price: $329.00
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-25-ALUMINIUM-Headphones/dp/B00DW6TULO

And, as for a list of headphones in the $300.00 range, there are many indeed.
NAD HP50, Sony MDR 1R, MDR 1A, Grado 325e, B&W -- 5 II, 
the very favorably reviewed Audio Technica MSR7; Beyerdynamic DT880,
KEF 500

-- and this is just off the top of my head!

I have no interest in "putting down" the HD 25 Aluminium headphones.
My HD25 1 ii get a lot of playing time (I rewired them with copper wire BTW),
so  do my Amperior''s.

My post was simply to suggest a possible reason why this thread is not
getting as much activity as the OP had hoped.

Sorry - didn't mean to imply you were, just that the price seemed off. I normally find headphones here to be more expensive than in the US, not the other way around!

The lack of activity on the thread could also be down to the fact that a lot of HD-25 1 II and Amperior owners didn't perceive the Aluminiums to be a worthwhile upgrade and hence ownership is relatively small by comparison. It would certainly appear that sales figures have fallen below Senn's own targets if they are planning to discontinue the Alu, as suggested earlier.

Jan 31, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #311 of 380
  My quick review on these, will keep updating in the coming few months. 
http://www.head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-hd-25-aluminum-on-ear-dj-headphones/reviews/15129

I tend to agree on the most parts of your review!!
These are a very good set of cans NOT only for DJs as they are mostly known for!
They are very very good in acoustic music too...
If we consider the very very good prise that we can find them here in Europe hey are a grate bargain too!!!
They pair perfectly with my iDSD Micro and right now I am very much enjoing a DSD64 Kind of Blue!!
One of my best purchases in audio equipment generally...
One must experiment a while to find the right place on the ears! This is an "issue" of evry on ear headphone though!!
GREAT!!!

Jan 31, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #312 of 380
  I tend to agree on the most parts of your review!!
These are a very good set of cans NOT only for DJs as they are mostly known for!
They are very very good in acoustic music too...
If we consider the very very good prise that we can find them here in Europe hey are a grate bargain too!!!
They pair perfectly with my iDSD Micro and right now I am very much enjoing a DSD64 Kind of Blue!!
One of my best purchases in audio equipment generally...
One must experiment a while to find the right place on the ears! This is an "issue" of evry on ear headphone though!!
GREAT!!!

That's some nice pairing you got there. Yes I also love the acoustic control of this can, the likes of Eddie Vedder comes to mind. I find that bright sources pair better with this can, thus far.
I am interested in knowing what your DSD64 Kind of Blue does :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back