Sennheiser HD25 Aluminium 25th anniversary edition review
Apr 3, 2016 at 12:26 AM Post #334 of 380
How long is the stock cable again? 2m? It's hard to quantify how annoying something is, but I found it annoying enough to make re-cabling a necessity for portable use. Others may differ.

I really dont know what to do..... The hd25 basic edition is now costing 148.... The 1 ii (with velour pads and pouch) 169 and thr alus 175... I know many will say get the alus but i already know that i will like tje regular hd25 while the alus may always be a hate/love thing lile it happened with the amperiors.... Also i am no modder so i am not thinking of replacing any cabled and in terms of maintenance over time the regular hd25 is much cheaper to keep in great condition (cheaper and easier to find pads and etc).

I think i am making the legendary mid fi triade.... Hd25, dt770 and m50x.... The dt770 are meh for me since they are not as punchy as lacking on the mids compared to the other 2 but mu girlfriend loves the look and sound of the beyers so i may keep those just to make her happy.... Still, ok the beyer have nicee soundstage, confort and separation but he other 2 have a more fun and punchy sound imo.

Still trying to decide what to do with a pair of cusyom one pros and hd598s though..... The hd598 i love just for the voices (definitly too soft for my taste) and the cops got me surprised (very nice, ath m50x kind of soind while A lil more laidback and a tiny bit muddy... but still very good imo...) Better than the sony mdr 1r for sure....

Apr 3, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #336 of 380
I really dont know what to do..... The hd25 basic edition is now costing 148.... The 1 ii (with velour pads and pouch) 169 and thr alus 175... I know many will say get the alus but i already know that i will like tje regular hd25 while the alus may always be a hate/love thing lile it happened with the amperiors.... Also i am no modder so i am not thinking of replacing any cabled and in terms of maintenance over time the regular hd25 is much cheaper to keep in great condition (cheaper and easier to find pads and etc).

I think i am making the legendary mid fi triade.... Hd25, dt770 and m50x.... The dt770 are meh for me since they are not as punchy as lacking on the mids compared to the other 2 but mu girlfriend loves the look and sound of the beyers so i may keep those just to make her happy.... Still, ok the beyer have nicee soundstage, confort and separation but he other 2 have a more fun and punchy sound imo.

Still trying to decide what to do with a pair of cusyom one pros and hd598s though..... The hd598 i love just for the voices (definitly too soft for my taste) and the cops got me surprised (very nice, ath m50x kind of soind while A lil more laidback and a tiny bit muddy... but still very good imo...) Better than the sony mdr 1r for sure....
The Soundmagic HP150 reks the M50x's in half.

Apr 6, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #337 of 380
The Soundmagic HP150 reks the M50x's in half.

Have u or anyone else made a comparison of the hd25 alu vs ath m50x....? Please share ur thoughts if u did.... :p

Dont understand one thing though.... On many reviews of the hd 25 or alu, despite all the praise many say that the hd25 are old (regarding the drivers) and should be updated..... The heck... They sound awesome...what should be updated then???

Apr 6, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #338 of 380
Have u or anyone else made a comparison of the hd25 alu vs ath m50x....? Please share ur thoughts if u did....
tongue.gif

Dont understand one thing though.... On many reviews of the hd 25 or alu, despite all the praise many say that the hd25 are old and should be updated..... The heck... They sound awesome...what should be updated then???

Yeah, I've heard similar - makes no sense to me either. I just don't understand how a headphone can sound 'dated'. If it can, then why are much older headphones like the R10 held in such high esteem? Surely it's not just down to rarity. I've compared the HD 25 with newer Senn models such as Urbanite XL and still prefer it by some margin.

I've directly compared the Alu to M50X a couple of times, but fairly briefly due to quite an uncomfortable demo setting! The latter has a more V-shaped signature which isn't really to my taste. I'm not as down on the M50X as some seem to be, but the HD 25 (regular or Alu) is a better headphone IMO if you value balance + clarity yet still want something that packs a punch.

Apr 6, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #339 of 380
Yeah, I've heard similar - makes no sense to me either. I just don't understand how a headphone can sound 'dated'. If it can, then why are much older headphones like the R10 held in such high esteem? Surely it's not just down to rarity. I've compared the HD 25 with newer Senn models such as Urbanite XL and still prefer it by some margin.

I've directly compared the Alu to M50X a couple of times, but fairly briefly due to quite an uncomfortable demo setting! The latter has a more V-shaped signature which isn't really to my taste. I'm not as down on the M50X as some seem to be, but the HD 25 (regular or Alu) is a better headphone IMO if you value balance + clarity yet still want something that packs a punch.

I really dont understand.... Why update a driver that sound awesome? There are things on head fi thatbi simply dont understand..... Like calling the dt770 80ohm a basshead can.... Da f....??? The m50x is much bassier.... I know everyone has a different perception when it comes to sound.... But still....

I had the amperior, the hd25 be and the m50x.... IMO 1. HD25 2. M50x 3. Amperior.

I also had the m50 non x.... I admit that the m50x is a improvement on confort (softer pads) and in sound (voices sound a bit clearer and less in the back and also the treble on the m50 was unnatural and plasticky.... The m50x treble is better....).... I would the m50x is now closer to the hd25 signature but still the hd25 sounds clearer and more linear overall. The amazing thing on the hd25 is that despite being super punchy and they still produce voices wonderfully and electric guitars on stuff like rage against the machine sound super clear and super powerfull.... :)

This is why i am so eager to return to the hd25.. Its unconfortable yes, lack soundstage, but the sound is awesome!!!

Would it be a stupidity to buy both hd25 and alu? I am sure i would like the hd25 all over again but as i said before regarding the alus i am a bit scared because of my bad experience with the amperior.

Jul 18, 2016 at 9:50 PM Post #340 of 380
I am really saddened that these are cancelled. I might start collecting them actually, they are that good. The sound separation, the speed, the detail, the tonality, the bass presence. Minus it's on-ear headstage(which is best in it's class anyways) I have a hard time recalling a closed over-ear headphone that outclassed the HD25 Alu's. Even my Soundmagic's HP100/150's do not give me the same intimate feeling as the Alu's do. 

Jul 19, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #341 of 380
Plus they look great.  A blue version would have been even sweeter.

Jul 27, 2016 at 8:09 AM Post #342 of 380
Always preferred silver to blue personally. Anodized black would have been nice tho. I'm a bit out of the loop right now - any ideas whether Senn plan to release a successor to the Alu in the HD-25 range, or whether it's just back to the old HD-25-1 II now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back