Sennheiser HD238 Precision review: PX100 on Steroids?
Aug 1, 2009 at 10:10 AM Post #16 of 90
thanks for the review, I'm still considering to buy K450 or HD238, do you think HD238 bass punch same with PX100.

and do the sound as thin as HD595 in terms of high and mid ?

Aug 1, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #17 of 90
IMO HD238 has a stronger midbass punch. Not by that much, but it's noticeable. I've never listened to HD595 so I can't really answer that one, but the highs are sparkly enough and mids are clearly defined.

Aug 1, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #18 of 90
I have both the HD595's and the HD238's and while the HD238's aren't as loud out of an ipod as the HD595's (the 238's tend to distort when played very loud) at moderately loud volumes the mids and highs are extremely clear and crisp and the bass is very full and fairly punchy and precise as well. The HD595's in comparison are somewhat opaque (or lacking in ultimate clarity and transparency) in the highs and mids, and are lacking in extension and fullness compared to the HD238's. That said, the HD238 images differently in that they are more forward and the soundstage doesn't surround you like the HD595's do, but the HD238 is more extended and open sounding in the highs. There is no veil present in the 238's that I can detect, but I can't say the same for the HD595's. I hope this helps.

Eric

Aug 2, 2009 at 7:42 AM Post #19 of 90
I found a workaround to my problem with the distortion problem I had mentioned earlier. I had read in another thread about the HD228 about removing a piece of black foam from the earpad, (in the center of the white surrounding foam right above the driver), and removing this piece of foam made the apparent volume before distortion louder, and also cleared up the midrange and highs further without any harshness being added. Now they have the detail of the highs of the HD595's with less grain, a clearer midrange, and similar bass detail in comparison to the HD595. However, as the HD595 has a stiffer, larger diaphragm with less restricted airflow than the HD238 (I opened up the headphones and looked at the drivers to find this out), it has much better power handling than the HD238 (not to mention being more sensitive and easier to drive out of an iPod).

Aug 3, 2009 at 5:46 AM Post #20 of 90
I have a question for other owners of the HD238: Does the distortion in the bass ever go away? I must have around 35-40 hours on them now, and the bass is still distorting. I have tried removing the foam circles in the front of the driver, the foam in the rear of the driver, and even putting everything back as they originally came, and I'm still having issues with the bass distorting. It's not on just badly recorded music that it's distorting, it's distorting on everything with bass notes in it. I love the clarity, but I can't stand distortion. I'm not quite sure what to think anymore about the HD238's.

Eric

EDIT: I think I might have figured out why I'm having such a huge problem with distorted bass: 70% of my music is modern pop music and due to the boosted bass of the HD238 and the high overall volume levels of pop recordings (and the high bitrate AAC and Apple Lossless format I encode my music with) I believe that all of these factors together prove too much for the small driver of the HD238 to handle. If I turn the volume down a bit, the distortion goes away almost completely. I guess that is the tradeback of a thin diaphragm driver with a powerful magnet system, they can't handle loud volumes easily without distorting. Oh well, I guess I'll have to turn the volume down a bit, no big deal.

Aug 5, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #22 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by pixar1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Eric,

I think maybe it's the behaviour of HD238, they can not stand high level bass, I saw another review and having same problem :

Sennheiser HD 238 headphones. First Pictures and first impressions.

Yeah, I'm thinking that is the case. I think Sennheiser would have really had a hit on their hands if they wouldn't have been so eager to goose up the bass response of the small driver in the HD238 and went with a leaner sound signature ala HD595. While the mids and highs are clearer on the HD238, the overall sound of the HD595 is less distorted, especially at high volumes and overall the 595's presentation is superior as well. If only they would make a headphone that sounded more like the HD238 tonally but had the power handling and spatial characteristics of the HD595, that was UNDER $1400. I guess I can keep dreaming...

Aug 5, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #23 of 90
I don't listen to my HD238's at high volumes, so I haven't come across this bass distortion issue (driving them out of a mini3: volume knob at 9-10 o'clock). After 80 hours of burn-in, i'm loving how they sound...a better PX100 in almost every way SQ-wise. Comfort is also clearly superior.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 8, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #24 of 90
@ K_19:

Great Review!

I own the Porta Pro now and my source is a iPhone 3G with OS 3.0.1 too..
would you think the HD 238 is a great improvement over my koss?

What is better? a closed HD 228 or a open HD 238 ??

Thanks!

Aug 8, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #25 of 90
thanks for the great review, i have got them today so they need a burn in, but im really satisfied with their sound. i replaced hd218 and now it is much better

semaniaci

Aug 8, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #26 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisDeeson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ K_19:

Great Review!

I own the Porta Pro now and my source is a iPhone 3G with OS 3.0.1 too..
would you think the HD 238 is a great improvement over my koss?

What is better? a closed HD 228 or a open HD 238 ??

Thanks!

I've had Portapros for a very short period of time a while ago so my memory is foggy on that issue, but it'll definitely have better mids presentation for one. I believe the highs are bit sparklier as well with bigger soundstage, but IIRC the midbass on Portapros are stronger than these and is more bassy overall. But it's somewhat similar overall sound signature to Koss IMO. From what I've heard from the demo floor the 228 is more bassy so that may resemble more of a Portapro sound, but 238's are definitely much cleaner and MUCH more open.

As for the distortion issue, I haven't noticed it too much but I also tend to have a lower volume ceiling than most people so perhaps too much power on these can distort these cans a bit.

Aug 9, 2009 at 12:12 PM Post #27 of 90
I have been listening further to the HD238 and as I get used to the lower volume level in comparison to the 595's, I am starting to like the 238's more and more. To me they sound like a px100 that suddenly started emulating the hd600 series in terms of detail and clarity. For a $110 headphone they are a great value and a capable performer if used with similarly transparent sources and source material. They will however show ALLof the flaws in your music, and thus I really only recommend using them with non mp3, high bitrate and/or lossless material that is free of digital clipping. --Eric

Aug 9, 2009 at 12:27 PM Post #28 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by semaniaci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for the great review, i have got them today so they need a burn in, but im really satisfied with their sound. i replaced hd218 and now it is much better

semaniaci

Can you tell us how the HD 238 compares to the HD 218?

Is the HD 238 overall better or does the HD 218 have a few things that are better than the 238 since they are closed or etc..
happy_face1.gif

Aug 9, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #29 of 90
Thanks for the reviews, guys. I'm on a bit of a budget here (not enough cash to buy the HD555s) and I was wondering how the HD238s would sound like for rock/metal straight from an Audigy soundcard, for home listening, not portable. Anyone care to share an opinion? The 238s are half the price of the 555s and I'm aching to get rid of my Sennheiser HD202 in favour of some better cans.

Aug 10, 2009 at 11:32 AM Post #30 of 90
Hello everybody,

I am very curious to know if someone had the opportunity to test and compare the HD 238
to nuforce UF-30 (or ultrasone zino) and to c-jays?

Which one will offer the best sound quality? (the price is not the question)
(i own a sansa fuze and a fiio E5 amp and i am listening only to flac file. Musical style: ambient and jazz).

Thank you a lot for helping in my choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back