Sennheiser HD238 Precision review: PX100 on Steroids?
Sep 26, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #61 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by priest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And if you could give us some brief impressions of the HD 448 while you're at it, we would be much obliged. Sounds like a nice haul.

No problem, I'm just as intrigued about them as everyone else is, especially as there is not much info in terms of reviews on them as well. I'll probably end up doing a comparison review later on when they are fully broken in as well, comparing them with the HD595's and HD238's. By talking to the salespeople at HeadRoom I did find out that they stopped selling the HD555 because they thought the HD448 sounded better than it, so hopefully they will sound really good.

--Eric

Sep 28, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #62 of 90
I received the HD448's minutes ago, and they sound fantastic. They are warmer than the HD595's, and much clearer sounding. Yet, even though they are smaller than the HD595, they are actually similar in soundstaging depth and width. The SendStation dock is noticably cleaner than the headphone out on my iPod Touch 2nd gen, but the difference is not noticable as much with the HD238, as my opinion now is that the HD238 is trying too hard for such a small driver to boost the bass. The HD448 in comparison is much more balanced, and though it doesn't thump like the HD238, the bass is faster and the rest of the sound maintains the clarity of the HD238 without the center foam, with no adjustments needed in the HD448. Also, the soundstaging is more like the HD595 than the 238. It has a similar depth and width in the image even though it is a smaller headphone. I will have more time to comment on their sound this weekend, but they are great headphones, with a much clearer sound than the HD595.

Sep 29, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #64 of 90
Thank you very much for the mini-review, violeta88. I will probably end up purchasing the HD 448 after a review like that by a fellow HD 238 lover, but I'll have to wait a few months. I've bought alot of headphones lately, and need to digest what I have. I hope you enjoy your new headphones, and I look forward to your later impressions.

Sep 29, 2009 at 3:46 AM Post #65 of 90
How bad is the leak on the HD 238, really? I tried them out in the Apple Store and they didn't seem too bad (granted, it's a loud store, so trying to judge leaking is maybe not the wisest). I travel often, on the subway and on airplanes, and dig the sound of the 238 a TON, but I don't want to disturb my fellow travelers.

Sep 29, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #66 of 90
The HD448's do have a smaller soundstage than the HD595, but the clarity is better and seems to lend itself to a nice soundstage even though by looking at them you wouldn't expect it, they are very small for circumaural headphones. Comfort isn't as good as the HD595, but price considered, I would say they are a very good value. However, they don't sound like a typical Sennheiser, the bass is a bit lean and faster than a typical sennheiser, more along the lines of the HD595, than say a HD650, and they are somewhat forward in their presentation, but are still mellow at the same time, as they are very clean sounding. Anyway, I will have more to say as they burn in a bit.

Eric

Sep 29, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #67 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrrrty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How bad is the leak on the HD 238, really? I tried them out in the Apple Store and they didn't seem too bad (granted, it's a loud store, so trying to judge leaking is maybe not the wisest). I travel often, on the subway and on airplanes, and dig the sound of the 238 a TON, but I don't want to disturb my fellow travelers.

If you are traveling with the HD238, if I were you, I would either get the HD228 if size is important as they are sealed, or the HD448 (same price as the HD238) as they are overall better headphones and are sealed at the same time. The HD238's leak considerably.

Sep 29, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #69 of 90
I haven't personally had experience with the HD228's or PX200, but my guess is that they are better. There are plenty of HD228 impressions on the forums, so a search might give you the answer you need.

Sep 29, 2009 at 8:10 AM Post #70 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by violeta88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't personally had experience with the HD228's or PX200, but my guess is that they are better. There are plenty of HD228 impressions on the forums, so a search might give you the answer you need.

Haha, I think I made a wrong buy. For portable use, I bought the 238 thinking that it has a substantial improvement on overall sound quality than the 228. But then, leakage is an issue. Might as well enjoy it... or buy Klipsch Image S4's in the future
L3000.gif

Oct 18, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #71 of 90
So.. after 2 months of vanilla HD238s which I enjoyed very much, I finally did the foam removal mod on them and was very pleasantly surprised. The sound is much more detailed but slightly less balanced, IMO. It loses the creamy, soft character, but the headphones become very bright and the bass picks up a bit too (or maybe my ears were just missing the muffled sound I got used to). Too bad they leak sound all over the place, or I'd glue them to my ears
biggrin.gif

Oct 18, 2009 at 10:03 AM Post #73 of 90
Nice review. I have a question. Does Sennheiser make a model just like this (just as good sounding) but with an closed ear design? I was disappointed to see that these portables are open ear.

Oct 18, 2009 at 10:10 AM Post #74 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Opentoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice review. I have a question. Does Sennheiser make a model just like this (just as good sounding) but with an closed ear design? I was disappointed to see that these portables are open ear.

The HD 228 is the 238's closed version. You might want to check it out.
beyersmile.png

And of course, the HD 448 which is highly praised today. Will check it out too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back