Sennheiser HD238 Precision review: PX100 on Steroids?
Oct 18, 2009 at 11:25 AM Post #77 of 90
Nice review there
smily_headphones1.gif
I heard them at the Apple Store and was actually plesantly pleased with the overall headphone. Very comfy as you stated in your review and the sound actually surprised me.

Nov 1, 2009 at 7:18 AM Post #78 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Opentoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice review. I have a question. Does Sennheiser make a model just like this (just as good sounding) but with an closed ear design? I was disappointed to see that these portables are open ear.

If you are looking for a pair of Sennheisers with closed ear design, that will work with portables and sounds better in terms of detail and soundstage, then the HD438 would be a good fit. If large amounts of bass aren't you're thing, then I would check out the HD448 (the headphones I currently own alongside the HD238 and HD595). Even with the HD448's leaner bass, they are my favorites among the other headphones I currently own due to their superior midrange and treble detail and clarity and non overpowering, but still decently full bass, that is nicely controlled.

Dec 11, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #79 of 90
How would the HD238 compare with the Alessandro MS1? I currently have the MS1 and am not particularly happy with the bass. I find them somewhat harsh in the trebles. I am running out of a zune into a Practical Devices xm4. Would the HD238's be a step in the right direction?

Dec 11, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #80 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by marleyfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How would the HD238 compare with the Alessandro MS1? I currently have the MS1 and am not particularly happy with the bass. I find them somewhat harsh in the trebles. I am running out of a zune into a Practical Devices xm4. Would the HD238's be a step in the right direction?

IMO the trebles on 238's are sparkly and sweet enough without harshness at all after burn in. Definitely more forgiving than Grado/Alessandro highs. You'll be getting more bass compared to the MS1 for sure but you will also notice that the mids sit back a bit as well and that its not as upfront.

Dec 11, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #81 of 90
HD238's are definitely smoother than the upfront Grado's or Alessandro's. Its bass is also very deep and detailed, yet sounds balanced across the spectrum. It still has the Sennheiser laid-back sound, but with a bit more punch and aggression.

Dec 13, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #82 of 90
Bestbuy is having a pretty good sale on the 238's right now. They are only 79 dollars. They also have the PX100II's for 69 and the PX200II's for 89. Prefer my PortaPro's over my 238's by a long shot, but that price point makes them a worthy buy for sure.

Dec 26, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #83 of 90
My dad got me a bluetooth earpiece for Christmas. Not wanting to look like a d-bag (yes you knew that was coming), I returned them for store credit and got the HD238's on a whim. I'm impressed! I'm used to E500's so I really love my mids and bass. The HD238, as others have already mentioned, lack in the midrange department but have ridiculous bass. They are fun cans for dance-type music. Plus, I've needed open cans for a while now--I find it hard to wear my IEMs anywhere other than in public, because around the house I need to be alert for doorbells, phone calls, etc.

Sep 8, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #84 of 90
Hi. I don't get it. I was reading a lot of posts here saying that the HD 238 are awesome, and that they're better than PX 100. I really loved my PX 100, and reading this stuff about the HD 238 got me excited about them. Now that I have them, I just can't understand how you can even compare the two! I'm so hugely disappointed in the HD 238! I use them with an iPhone 3GS, for wich the PX 100 was perfect! The first thing that annoys me is that the HD 238 are really quiet! I also have the HD 25-1 II for use at home, and even those are much louder when connected to the iPhone (not comparing sound quality because that would be sort of unfair). Compared to PX 100, the HD 238 sound really clear and crisp, but they also sound very distant, specially vocals, which makes everything sound kinda dull. PX 100 don't sound as clear, but the music seems to be "right there" and more alive. HD 238 may sound ok when listening to stuff like Coldplay, The Delgados or Juliana Hatfield, but for stuff like Foo Fighters, Stereophonics or The Crystal Method they are simply too dull. I listen to a great variety of music styles, and I think PX 100 are better suited for that - at least for my taste- especially when using an iPod!

Sep 8, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #85 of 90

Quote:
Hi. I don't get it. I was reading a lot of posts here saying that the HD 238 are awesome, and that they're better than PX 100. I really loved my PX 100, and reading this stuff about the HD 238 got me excited about them. Now that I have them, I just can't understand how you can even compare the two! I'm so hugely disappointed in the HD 238! I use them with an iPhone 3GS, for wich the PX 100 was perfect! The first thing that annoys me is that the HD 238 are really quiet! I also have the HD 25-1 II for use at home, and even those are much louder when connected to the iPhone (not comparing sound quality because that would be sort of unfair). Compared to PX 100, the HD 238 sound really clear and crisp, but they also sound very distant, specially vocals, which makes everything sound kinda dull. PX 100 don't sound as clear, but the music seems to be "right there" and more alive. HD 238 may sound ok when listening to stuff like Coldplay, The Delgados or Juliana Hatfield, but for stuff like Foo Fighters, Stereophonics or The Crystal Method they are simply too dull. I listen to a great variety of music styles, and I think PX 100 are better suited for that - at least for my taste- especially when using an iPod!

joker said something about the cans sounding too distant, and I agree with him. The reason for this is that they are very inefficient and require an amp, and a very powerful at that. When I had an hd 238 at the time, my fiio e5 could not even make a difference in the veiled headphone. joker also said a mini 3 (a very powerful portable amp) would do the trick.

Sep 13, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #86 of 90
Portable headphones should not require an amp so badly to sound good in my opinion. I also would recommend comparing HD 238 to PX 200 rather than PX 100 soundwise. Anyway I decided to spend a little bit more and went for the Denon AH D-1001. Those truly deserve to be called "PX 100 on steroids"! :wink:

Sep 13, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #87 of 90

Quote:
Portable headphones should not require an amp so badly to sound good in my opinion. I also would recommend comparing HD 238 to PX 200 rather than PX 100 soundwise. Anyway I decided to spend a little bit more and went for the Denon AH D-1001. Those truly deserve to be called "PX 100 on steroids"! :wink:

Sometimes, headphones like these could use an amp. You could live with the sound using a headphone out, but you will be underwhelmed if you are a budding audiophile. When I say inefficient I mean that the sound is kinda off, and the volume control on your DAP has to go to high levels to get ample volume out of these. To compare, a grado (which has the same impedance rating) will have the same volume at a lower setting on your DAP, and not sound "off." This is just my opinion though, if you like the sound then there is nothing to it; listen to some tunes.
biggrin.gif

Sep 13, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #88 of 90
Dude, I wasn't saying "they don't sound better when amped". They do! What I meant was that portable headphones (specially when they write "optimized for ipod" on the packaging) should sound decent unamped already. I also wasn't saying that the HD 238 are a bad choice, just that to me, they don't compare well to PX 100, with or without amplification...

Jun 3, 2011 at 7:48 AM Post #89 of 90
Hello guys,

First time writing here on the forum (YAY!), altough I've been following many threads for some months now. I need your help in order to decide between the Senn's HD238 and HD448. 
First of all, I'm quite neutral in terms of bass. I like to hear it on some types of musics (rock, some types of jazz, metal) but in other they are passable. Thus, I'm afraid that the bass of the HD238 will ruin my listening experience. 
I have some other questions as well:

1- I know that both sound better when amped... does the Fiio E5 makes much of a difference? Because I can't afford a much more expensive portable amp. I want to use the cans in my Creative Zen Mosaic and in my personal computer.

2- My favorite music styles are classical, jazz and metal, around that order. Which one of the senn's would you recommend, based on this info? I can provide more if you need it.

3- Is the cord of the HD238 so flimsy and weak that it could really easily ruin itself? I tend to take care of my things, but even so I don't want to be running to the shop in order to use the warranty xD It seems that the HD448 is better in that aspect but, from what I've read around here, it seems that open-type cans are better than closed, isolating types at around the same price range (my mistake? :X)

I wish to have a good soundstage and that nice sound that makes someone get excited while listening to orchestras and symphonies.

Thanks in advance and excuse me if part of the text seems weirdly written, english is not my primary language :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back