Sennheiser HD 700: Officially Unveiled at CES 2012!
May 29, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #2,821 of 3,545
Don't forget everyone. All these are prelimanary thoughts. I'm sure with a few weeks break-in time we will start getting a better picture of the HD-700's sound. Be patient.

May 29, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #2,822 of 3,545
Sampled a little from here and there:

Arcadi Volodos - Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No. 3

Another Volodos fan. Awesome. I'm so bummed that he doesn't tour the States anymore. Definitely the most amazing pianist I've ever heard on a technical level, and lately growing more and more impressive on an interpretive level as well. I've half a mind to catch some concerts in the EU one of these days.

[/ot]

May 29, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #2,823 of 3,545
Quote:
Don't forget everyone. All these are prelimanary thoughts. I'm sure with a few weeks break-in time we will start getting a better picture of the HD-700's sound. Be patient.

Not to mention better cables!!! 
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 29, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #2,826 of 3,545
Quote:
Would anyone happen to know what material the stock HD700 cable is made of?

I think it's pure doesntmatterinium.

May 29, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #2,827 of 3,545
Quote:
Would anyone happen to know what material the stock HD700 cable is made of?

Not sure, but it's not pretty.  Kinks pretty easily too if you twist it over itself.  That was the FIRST thing I noticed about the whole headphone package as I unraveled the cable to plug it in.  Probably a HD 650 cable wrapped in that kevlar sleeve (or whatever) stuff.  As it is flat and I can feel the little gap, and not round, and the gauge seems similar after the splitter to the headphone.

May 29, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #2,829 of 3,545
Quote:
Not sure, but it's not pretty.  Kinks pretty easily too if you twist it over itself.  That was the FIRST thing I noticed about the whole headphone package as I unraveled the cable to plug it in.  Probably a HD 650 cable wrapped in that kevlar sleeve (or whatever) stuff.  As it is flat and I can feel the little gap, and not round, and the gauge seems similar after the splitter to the headphone.

That's why I just tie it at one point:

May 29, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #2,830 of 3,545
Quote:
That's why I just tie it at one point:

I need about 8 feet...

Notice the cable is fairly resistant if you try to twist it, but quite easy to bend?  It doesn't want to twist at all, it wants to instantly coil.

May 29, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #2,831 of 3,545
As MuppetFace pointed out, I do like the HD800s. I liked them almost as soon as I started listening to them. However, they have specific traits that keep me from loving them and buying a set.

1. They lack that "organic feel" and tend toward sounding artificial. They make HE-6s sound warm and inviting, and that's saying something.
2. They're so damned picky with material. You can't just queue up a random bunch of MP3s and listen. You also can't use them for Pandora and other streaming sources, that's even worse.
3. Those peaks at 6-8kHz really do wear on you, even under ideal conditions. I just have to take them off after a while and let my ears rest.

Now, after the last couple days the HD700s are starting to grow on me a little, I've not noticed any appreciable break-in but my brain is starting to adjust to them. They still suffer from #1 and 3 above (and #2 to a lesser extent) however, and their bass and mids still aren't as good as their little brother's, but I can tolerate them for longer. Today I also got in my PS500s and G pads, and as soon as I put those on and listened I started grinning from ear to ear. So you know I can handle some treble, with the Senns it's just a completely different feel. So I'm still left wondering "why?"

People seem unwilling to accept these impressions, and that's what's causing confusion as far as I can tell.  People have gotten so attached to their idea of what they think these are supposed to sound like, they're getting mad at reviewers who don't have purely positive impressions.  And then from time to time someone links to a more positive review, and people start crying out in relief, and just want to listen to that perspective.  What people?!  If you're just here to seek out the impressions that back up your attachments and delusions and fantasies, then you're better off not having a clue, you should just buy an HD700, sit in your corner and stroke your...HD700's.  

Why are impressions supposed to be all positive and glowing, and why is a positive review trusted more?  It should be the other way around.  People with nothing but praise generally have no idea what they're talking about because all headphones are far from perfect.   

I know, right? It's largely about validation, I feel. They want approval, not the truth (or in this case a negative opinion), especially when dealing with such hotly anticipated products. FWIW, I didn't say I hate them, I'l leave that for Purrin, I'm just unimpressed.

Not to mention better cables!!!  :veryevil:

How's that going to help? :popcorn:

May 29, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #2,833 of 3,545
Quote:

I know Germany have some Lehmann Black Cubes - Sennheiser UK have used the Grace m902 and Grace m903 and I think they also use the Grace m903 in Scandinavia.

I use the m903 with my HD 800, HD 650 and HD 580 Jubilee and used the Grace when I compared the HD 700 to them.

Interesting - testing neutral headphones with a neutral source makes sense. 

I've loved the Lavry DA 10 - and still do - with all of my headphones and very much appreciate it neutrality. From a consumer's point of view neutral audio playback equipment makes sense, especially if a consumer has only one headphone, considering how much coloration and tonality can vary from recording to recording.

May 29, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #2,834 of 3,545

Users who are viewing this thread

Back