Sennheiser HD 700: Officially Unveiled at CES 2012!
Feb 25, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #1,936 of 3,545
For example when I auditioned the T1 vs HD 800 I felt the T1 was not even remotely in the same league. Also loved the way the HD 800 layered everything so precisely, even the bass had many levels. I'm still undecided, but I guess I will go HD 800 after all.

Completely agree!

Feb 25, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #1,937 of 3,545
Quote:
So if he plugs the HD700 into the Darkstar will his head explode?

Right after the HD700's voice coils...

very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 25, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #1,938 of 3,545

Quote:

That is so utterly ridiculous that you can't help but wonder if he got a free pair for writing that.

I begged Sennheiser for a free pair. Begged. In exchange, I would trumpet the HD700 to the ends of the earth as quite simply the best headphone ever. Better than the HD800, the Sony R10, or even the SR-009 on a BHSE. Then I'd ride off into the sunset with my free HD700 and all would be right with the world. Sennheiser would sell tons of them, my credibility would be shot, but hey - I got a free pair of the best headphone in the world right? Alas, they didn't fall for it, and I had to send my prototypes back.

Seriously though, I doubt Mike could be swayed by a freebie like this. He makes his living (or at least a portion of it) reviewing headphone gear, and I doubt he would to throw that away in such an obvious fashion. Give him some credit! What I sense here is just a bit of over-enthusiasm, and I'm sure with time he will get to the bottom of how he really feels. 

Feb 25, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #1,939 of 3,545
I hope he realizes it before it's too late, and it may already be.

Feb 25, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #1,941 of 3,545
My grandmother was 80 and she could hear dogs whistle. Until they put her on medication that is..

Feb 26, 2012 at 3:24 AM Post #1,942 of 3,545
Or maybe they're perfect for Mike...

Is that a problem?

Just a thought... no idea if it is actually true

Feb 26, 2012 at 3:28 AM Post #1,943 of 3,545
Or maybe they're perfect for Mike...

Is that a problem?

Just a thought... no idea if it is actually true

Preference is one thing, claiming technical superiority without actually measuring is another.

Feb 26, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #1,946 of 3,545

Quote:
Preference is one thing, claiming technical superiority without actually measuring is another.

Very, very true.

Feb 26, 2012 at 6:03 AM Post #1,947 of 3,545
Impressions from a newbie who attended the Bristol sound and vision show in the UK. Bear in mind I have no reference of other high-tier cans, although I have listened to the HD800 a few times at a friend's house. I'll be comparing these primarily to the HD 650 and K701s that I own.

I had a chance to listen to both the HD800 and HD700 demo'd there for about 20 mins and I thought the HD700 have a tonality closer to the HD650, yet sound faster and thinner than them. I tried a few test tracks on a music CD I brought and thought that they sounded dark with every song, especially compared to the K701. The soundstage seemed wider than the HD650 yet also intimate, probably about K701 level in size yet less cavernous sounding. For an instrumental track I tried they had a weird tonality, sounding veiled and murky like they had a upper-mid range/low treble recession as the HD650 is described as having. When I tried the HD800 after them it reinforced my impression, as they sounded much more neutral and balanced with a slightly thicker sound too in the mids, although maybe bass impact is a bit weaker.

I'm not sure if I like the voicing on these headphones as they seem to possess both the aspects of the Hd650s (darkness) and K701s (thinness) that I don't like, however I am going to audition them again to get a better impression on my own amp and setup.

Feb 26, 2012 at 6:16 AM Post #1,948 of 3,545

Quote:
 For an instrumental track I tried they had a weird tonality, sounding veiled and murky like they had a upper-mid range/low treble recession as the HD650 is described as having. 

Waw, God really has create so many types of ears indeed. 

Thanks for your impression anyway Kyle! :)

Feb 26, 2012 at 6:24 AM Post #1,949 of 3,545

Thin sounding, yet possessing a warmish to dark tone - Hmmm, not very positive so far for my ears anyway at this stage - wonder how amp dependent
 this number #2 will be..

Feb 26, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #1,950 of 3,545
If the production pair are like the prototype pair I tried, they have a dip at 4k, which can make acoustic music sound a little "dark" but have a peak at around 6k, much like the HD-800s, which, IMO, make them sound too hot for modern music. This may be why some music sounds odd with them. Likewise, I found them rather weak below 100 Hz, without enough punch for quite a bit of pop. They did have awesome imaging, however. With the right tube amp....and all that...

Definitely nothing like 'stats, however. On that, I'd strongly disagree with Mike. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back