Sennheiser HD 700: Officially Unveiled at CES 2012!
Jan 11, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #376 of 3,545

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's clear to my listening and seeing the measures that Senn has a clearly targeted reference signature atm.  

Yes, for some reason they decided that what they needed to do was abandon the unique (in headphonedome) sound signature they developed in the HD600 and HD650 which brought them huge success, and create headphones that sound like everything else out there.  Bright, and basslight.  The HD800 succeeds with this simply because it's so technically capable, but without that, I'm not sure what their marketing team is thinking.  There's a reason the HD650 was so popular.  Same reason the LCD-2 is so popular. 

I would like to see a comparison between the K701 and HD700.  I'm thinking it might make some people at Sennheiser wet their panties. 

Jan 11, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #377 of 3,545

Quote:
 measurements will start to show up.

popcorn.gif
Can't wait for that discussion!
atsmile.gif

Jan 11, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #378 of 3,545

You know, I was thinking something quite similar. By the sounds of things, the HD700 shares many similarities with the K701, only at an exponentially greater cost. A comparison would certainly be interesting.
Quote:
Yes, for some reason they decided that what they needed to do was abandon the unique (in headphonedome) sound signature they developed in the HD600 and HD650 which brought them huge success, and create headphones that sound like everything else out there.  Bright, and basslight.  The HD800 succeeds with this simply because it's so technically capable, but without that, I'm not sure what their marketing team is thinking.  There's a reason the HD650 was so popular.  Same reason the LCD-2 is so popular. 

I would like to see a comparison between the K701 and HD700.  I'm thinking it might make some people at Sennheiser wet their panties. 

Jan 11, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #379 of 3,545

Quote:

Do we know that the LCD2 has sold more than the HD800? Do we know if it’s more popular?

HD650 is at a much lower price point so I’m not sure it’s directly comparable.

Jan 11, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #381 of 3,545
Quote:
The proper way to get visceral bass with headphones is to run them with a subwoofer.

That kind of defeats the point of using headphones for most people though.  If no one is going to complain about your sub you could probably just go with speakers instead...

Jan 11, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #382 of 3,545
so would a WA6SE or WA2 be good enough to make hd 800s sound better than hd 700s?

Jan 11, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #385 of 3,545

Quote:
You know, I was thinking something quite similar. By the sounds of things, the HD700 shares many similarities with the K701, only at an exponentially greater cost. A comparison would certainly be interesting.

You know how people talk about the lows on the 701 being great, but only reaching greatness when paired with a very high end amp? I don't know that I necessarily agree, but that's how many people present it. Well, the HD700 lows sound better to me off a sub $200 portable amp, than my K701 does on a $5k setup. 

Jan 11, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #386 of 3,545
Looks wise, I definitely prefer HD800. It has the high end looks and built quality. And not to mention, it feels so fantastically light and comfortable on my head. HD700 on the other hand looks like a mix; HD800's cups with a suspect headband. That's entirely how I feel personally.

As for sound, I cannot comment about things I have not heard. So I'll reserve my judgement. But a thousand quid on these does sound too much for me. Let's hope price can drop to around $800, cause that was the price point I previously predicted. If it can be had at $800, I have no doubts that Sennheiser would sell quite a fair number of these.

Jan 11, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #387 of 3,545

Quote:
You know how people talk about the lows on the 701 being great, but only reaching greatness when paired with a very high end amp? I don't know that I necessarily agree, but that's how many people present it. Well, the HD700 lows sound better to me off a sub $200 portable amp, than my K701 does on a $5k setup. 

I felt the low end presentation of the HD700 sounded very similar to that of the HD800. In other words, pretty good. I didn't have a chance to check out the HD700 on a "modest" amp though.

Jan 11, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #388 of 3,545

Quote:
I felt the low end presentation of the HD700 sounded very similar to that of the HD800. In other words, pretty good. I didn't have a chance to check out the HD700 on a "modest" amp though.

Run it off your CMoy and compare to the 800.

Jan 11, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #389 of 3,545
Useless it's open back!!!!

How come the marked has been flooded with expensive open back phones the last couple of years?? Yes its easier to make good! Yes the best phone out there will always be open back! - Yes the best phone at any given price point will be open back!!

Closed back while being much more usefull, presents the designer with a lot more problems.......Well thats why we need companies to spend hours on perfecting it!!

Almost every closed back phone is an open back with at "cup" added. Well for the R10 sony added nipples and the russians added stair on the inside of the cups - But when the cup is always the weak link - then a company like sennheiser ought to have the money to come up with something wiser!!

I want a hd 680!!!

no wait a minute i want a hd880 with a 650 sound signature!!

(and giant snails coming out of my ears - something like the B&W nautilius!!
L3000.gif

Jan 11, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #390 of 3,545

Quote:
I don't think you need a 1000-1500$ amp to make shine HD800. Yes there is always better, but with 500-1000$ amp, everyone will find happiness imo.

QFT.  I've heard the HD800's through dozens of different amps at CanJam, and after completing and plugging into my slightly modified BH crack, I no longer have any impulse to continue window shopping for amp upgrades.  For that matter, the crack certainly is not the only modestly priced option out there that can make the HD800's really sing and reproduce the sound of live music with a stunning degree of accuracy.

Contrary to those who suggest (incorrectly, in my view) that you must spend thousands on an amp to enjoy them, I believe the average HD800 owner's money is far better spent on well recorded and produced music that will allow these amazing headphones to show off what they can do.  Mining LFF's recommendations is a great place to start.

In any event, I'm eager for an opportunity to hear the HD700's.  It was an interesting choice on Senn's part to lower their impedance to 150 ohms.  I'm curious as to what motivated this given the relatively high impedance designs of all of their prior reference cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back