Sennheiser HD 700: Officially Unveiled at CES 2012!
Jan 27, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #1,277 of 3,545

Quote:
Sorry, but that's nonsense.

Kind of like Adam Smith being an English professor?   If you have new economic theory to suggest devalued currency has no impact on the price of foreign goods please PM me.  I'll return my Economics degree.

Back to the 700.

Jan 27, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #1,278 of 3,545

Quote:
The HD 700 is in the same dealer agreement as the HD 800 - priced so dealers can demo properly without on-line stores pulling the rug from under them when the dealer does all the work and the on-line store gets the sale.

Perhaps online stores could advertise for a wee bit less but when you factor in the shipping, the purchaser would be still better off buying from the demoing dealer? This way, the compulsive buyer would grab the "cheaper" option and the dealers would still sell their wares to the smart shopper.

Jan 27, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #1,279 of 3,545

Quote:
Perhaps online stores could advertise for a wee bit less but when you factor in the shipping, the purchaser would be still better off buying from the demoing dealer? This way, the compulsive buyer would grab the "cheaper" option and the dealers would still sell their wares to the smart shopper.

Why would they do that? 

Jan 27, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #1,280 of 3,545

Quote:
Kind of like Adam Smith being an English professor?   If you have new economic theory to suggest devalued currency has no impact on the price of foreign goods please PM me.  I'll return my Economics degree.

I was talking specifically about the 40% price increase, not the broader-ranging issue of general pricing trends on import goods.  Is it your position that dollar value and debt load are responsible for the fact that the HD650 was $350 just three weeks ago, and now is $500?

Jan 27, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #1,283 of 3,545

Quote:
^This.  And I'm surprised that most people here don't seem to care.  I guess one of the few positives is that resale price maintenance can help level the playing field for smaller retailers.  I generally prefer to buy audio stuff from retailers that are friends to this community rather than, say, Amazon.  And if resale price maintenance helps the smaller guys stay in business, then, to me, that is at least worth some consideration.

Even though I don't like it and think it flies in the face of a free market, I can see how the manufacturer can pull the product from the retailer should they violate the MSRP. But just a quick question, is it legal for the manufacturer to deny an individual who buys that product from that seller warranty services should they have their agreement violated?

Jan 27, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #1,284 of 3,545
Jan 27, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #1,285 of 3,545
Quote:
Voted for policies to weaken the dollar and amass debt.

Americans don't do that, their elected representatives do. It pisses me off that they then vote with their big-dollar donors and against the interests of said constituents but it's complicated and I'll stop there as we are veering from economics to politics.

Quote:
I was talking specifically about the 40% price increase, not the broader-ranging issue of general pricing trends on import goods.  Is it your position that dollar value and debt load are responsible for the fact that the HD650 was $350 just three weeks ago, and now is $500?

I like currency conspiracies as much as anybody but I don't see it re the "unadvertised street price" of headphones, it's much more likely to be seasonal supply and demand. But many retailers do have "unofficial" trade associations 
wink.gif

Quote:
Even though I don't like it and think it flies in the face of a free market, I can see how the manufacturer can pull the product from the retailer should they violate the MSRP. But just a quick question, is it legal for the manufacturer to deny an individual who buys that product from that seller warranty services should they have their agreement violated?

Not as long as the warranty requirements are met between the buyer and the retailer, it's a separate contract than the one between the retailer and the manufacturer.

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #1,286 of 3,545

Quote:

Not talking about the HD650, thought I made my position clear on the 650 issue earlier.  Something else entirely not directed at your point, sorry for the confusion.

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #1,287 of 3,545

Quote:

Depends on the country.  

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #1,288 of 3,545

Americans don't do that, their elected representatives do.

I'm not letting us Americans off that easy anymore.  It's time we all looked in the mirror and took responsibility.

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #1,289 of 3,545
So, for anyone getting the HD700, does it still have the same plugs as the HD800, and will you use the same aftermarket (if you have one) cable?

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #1,290 of 3,545
I remember someone saying the connector was different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back