Sennheiser HD 700: Officially Unveiled at CES 2012!
Jan 23, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #1,126 of 3,545

Quote:
Perceived 'sheen' as you put it has nothing to do w/ resolving power but that's how I bracket my listening parameters.  I humbly disagree the two are in the same class.

I don't share that point of view, but I can understand it. To me, "revealing" implies that nothing is taken away or added. I feel like the HD800 adds something.

You know, I really like vanilla ice cream. To me, the T1 tastes just like vanilla ice cream. The HD800 tastes like vanilla ice cream with jimmies. Now, those jimmies sure can taste good at times, but most times I'd just like the ice cream without the sprinkles.

If the HD700 sounds like the HD800 without the jimmies, I will be very happy.

Jan 23, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #1,127 of 3,545

Quote:
I don't share that point of view, but I can understand it. To me, "revealing" implies that nothing is taken away or added. I feel like the HD800 adds something.

You know, I really like vanilla ice cream. To me, the T1 tastes just like vanilla ice cream. The HD800 tastes like vanilla ice cream with jimmies. Now, those jimmies sure can taste good at times, but most times I'd just like the ice cream without the sprinkles.

To me the T1 tastes like pale, bland, generic store brand vanilla ice cream w/ guar gum.  The HD800 tastes like home made French vanilla w/ specks of real vanilla bean that you can see and taste w/ hints of that yellow egginess.  

You can keep the jimmies (whatever those are) and sprinkles.  
tongue.gif

Edit - Haha, you don't want to know what we call 'jimmies' down here, probably wouldn't want that on your ice cream....

Jan 23, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #1,128 of 3,545

Quote:
The HD 800 does not sound bright and sibilant to me - only - exactly like the musical instrument I originally recorded.

Exactly? I doubt it. Now you're really losing credibility here.

Quote:

Yup - personally I treat metal and wood as crap. 

Yes of course. Sennheiser does not use these materials. Therefore...

Quote:

Colorations that sound "right" to you may not sound that way to others. 

Should I care?

Jan 23, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #1,129 of 3,545

Quote:

Edit - Haha, you don't want to know what we call 'jimmies' down here, probably wouldn't want that on your ice cream....

Note to self: always check Urban Dictionary before posting food metaphors on Head-fi. 
etysmile.gif

Jan 23, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #1,130 of 3,545
Quote:
To me the T1 tastes like pale, bland, generic store brand vanilla ice cream w/ guar gum.  The HD800 tastes like home made French vanilla w/ specks of real vanilla bean that you can see and taste w/ hints of that yellow egginess.  

...but it's made with non-fat milk and no cream and winds up tasting thin and the cook spills the salt into the batch accidentally because he's using a new super expensive high tech ice cream machine and doesn't really know his way around it very well yet.  But he's invested so much in the machine and he realizes that the technical merits of his ice cream machine will still set him apart from the rest of the crowd even if he hasn't perfected the flavor balance.  So he decides he'll sell this one now to help pay for the machine and in the future he'll make a new batch with a more well rounded pallet with less salt and real, rich cream. 

Jan 23, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #1,131 of 3,545
Or maybe you make your ice cream with plenty of cream and sugar but realize you put too much sugar in, but then while you're mixing it you realize that you too made too much and then it spills all over the floor and your dog comes and starts to lick it up and you start to panic because you don't want her to get sick so you try to pull the dog away but in doing so you slip and fall and now you're laying on the floor with a mess of soggy ice cream in your hair.

I'm not really trying to get at anything here, except to mock silly analogies.

The HD800 vs LCD2 is not something so out there and hard to understand that you need crazy analogies. LCD2 is dark. HD800 is bright.

Which is more natural, HD800 or LCD2? Well that's like saying which is better, chocolate or vanilla?

Jan 23, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #1,132 of 3,545

Quote:
...but it's made with non-fat milk and no cream and winds up tasting thin and the cook spills the salt into the batch accidentally because he's using a new super expensive high tech ice cream machine and doesn't really know his way around it very well yet.  But he's invested so much in the machine and he realizes that the technical merits of his ice cream machine will still set him apart from the rest of the crowd even if he hasn't perfected the flavor balance.  So he decides he'll sell this one now to help pay for the machine and in the future he'll make a new batch with a more well rounded pallet with less salt and real, rich cream. 

Got lost on the way to the Stax thread?  
tongue.gif

Jan 23, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #1,133 of 3,545

Quote:
But he's invested so much in the machine and he realizes that the technical merits of his ice cream machine will still set him apart from the rest of the crowd even if he hasn't perfected the flavor balance.

Guys, I know that this ice cream sucks, BUT I MADE IT WITH A SPACESHIP.

Jan 23, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #1,134 of 3,545
Methinks a few posters in this forum need lessons in comprehension.
CONTEXT, CONTEXT, CONTEXT - will solve most of the dabate here, except for the trolls who just like an argument........

I personally look forward to auditioning a HD700......

Am I a Sennheiser fanboy?   Check my sig.......

Jan 23, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #1,135 of 3,545
I was talking to John Willett, bud.

Jan 23, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #1,136 of 3,545

Quote:
Indeed. But I don't go calling what others look for "crap" just because it's not what I'm looking for.

Actually I originally used the word in reply to someone else who used the same word.

And it was said a bit tongue-in-cheek which, unfortunately, does not come out too well written down.

Sorry if you were offended.

Though it does not really change the fact that resonant metal and wood that is not consistent in density are not really suitable materials to make the best sounding headphones (although they can look great).

Jan 23, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #1,137 of 3,545

Quote:
[size=medium]Plastic will resonate.[/size]

It depends on the plastic and the contents.

There are plenty of high-tech. non-resonating plastics.

Jan 23, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #1,138 of 3,545

Quote:
I personally disagree -- I found that the HD800 added treble energy, sibilance and airiness that was not present on the recording AND was likely not related to my gear, as similarly revealing headphones (like the T1) did not produce the same effect.

Personal choice - no problem.

But did you make the recording yourself so you can really say it was not present on the recording?

The HD 800 does seem to show up the recording chain more than others.

BUT - you choose headphones for your own personal pleasure - so in the end it does not matter.

All I can say, listening to my own recordings that I recorded and mastered I did not hear added sibilance - and before you say, these were straight 24/96 recordings with no compression nor equalisation - microphones straight to recorder.

Jan 23, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #1,139 of 3,545
Quote:
I have never heard a real life violin or trumpet that did not have piercing and vibrant treble all the way up to 20khz (and probably beyond).

Just to correct this point, regardless of taste a trumpet doesn't reach 10kHz even with harmonics:

http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm

The fundamental frequencies of a trumpet tap out at 1.2kHz.

Jan 23, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #1,140 of 3,545
That's interesting, good catch. Anyway, according to that chart it's true for violin, saxophone, etc. All my argument needs is for one of them to reach up into that range, for my point to be sufficiently made. 

Once again if you do prefer recessed upper treble that's fine, but not everyone wants that. Also note that we're on the thread about the HD700, which as far as we know does not have recessed treble by any means. In this context, the argument of whether it's better to have recessed treble or present treble is pretty much "moot" because we already know the HD700 isn't recessed.

popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back