Sennheiser HD 700: Officially Unveiled at CES 2012!
May 12, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #2,641 of 3,545
These look amazing. Now wondering how they will sound like.

PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/
May 13, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #2,643 of 3,545
Quote:
The hype around this headphone is ridiculous, some of you need to take a step back and lighten up. Sennheiser ain't making an end-all dynamic headphone here, TBH they seem a bit confused with what they want to do with the HD700's.

Actually, I don't think Senn is confused at all.  They want a phone at the 1k price point.

May 14, 2012 at 4:42 AM Post #2,644 of 3,545
Quote:

Nice seeing you today Windsor.

Since I have pre-ordered mine back in March, and didn't bother trying mine until I get home, I tried the same demo one that Windsor did.

I largely agree with Windsor's view on the HD 700, when compared to the HD 800, the HD 800 provides more details, but that's expected because essentially HD 800 is more expensive than the HD 700. If they are at the level of HD 800, why bother releasing HD 700?

As a couple of people said so here, the mids do sound a bit congested, and the highs are crispy, but they do feel extremely comfortable on my ears (almost on par with the HD 800s).

I have to say I was a bit sad that Sennheiser did this to the mid range, but ...

So I got home and tried my pair on - the mids on my pair do not sound as congested as the demo pair that I tried and in fact, I'm starting to love it. It's DEFINITELY better than the demo pair I tried on this afternoon in the shop. I will burn in further and see if it makes any difference (hopefully it does). The bass is punchy, crisp, and just enough for every song (not too over emphasised like sometimes it does on the LCD-2s) that I put to it. Treble are not as squeaky as it was on the demo pair I tried on in the shop and it just sounded right to my ears.

Was great to see you both on Saturday afternoon and you managed to get a good listen to the HD700's and hope it provided a good insight to what they sound like so that you can share with the rest of the guys on the forum what your conclusions are. I would have suggested listening to the Invicta's SD card instead of just the MF CDT as this may have been why it sounded bright in the shop but not when you got it home. Now I know your usernames i'll PM you when the Amperiors arrive so that you can both come in an listen to those for a few hours and get your impressions on them if you wish too.

Kind regards

Phil

May 14, 2012 at 5:54 AM Post #2,645 of 3,545
Quote:
The HD 600 were the biggest surprise of the bunch for me. Though they had a softer sound and lower level of transient clarity than the other headphones, the frequency balance was the most well-balanced and neutral of all of the above. Instrumental timbres sounded slightly thin but when I relaxed past that the overall listening experience became natural-sounding and quite satisfying. The HD600 just got out of the way and left the music on display - an egoless headphone. :)

Although owning the HD650 instead of the HD600, I'm quite with you on that one - I still prefer them to my HD800 for music listening, and in fact to my Stax for listening to a wide range of music (I still prefer the Stax for good quality recordings, but less so for varied listening sessions).
When you realise this frame dates back to the early 90s I believe, it tells something about how great an achievement that must have been back then.

May 14, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #2,646 of 3,545
Quote:
Was great to see you both on Saturday afternoon and you managed to get a good listen to the HD700's and hope it provided a good insight to what they sound like so that you can share with the rest of the guys on the forum what your conclusions are. I would have suggested listening to the Invicta's SD card instead of just the MF CDT as this may have been why it sounded bright in the shop but not when you got it home. Now I know your usernames i'll PM you when the Amperiors arrive so that you can both come in an listen to those for a few hours and get your impressions on them if you wish too.

Kind regards

Phil

Hi Phil - 

Thanks for being very accommodating and friendly on Saturday and I look forward to the Amperior!

FYI: My written impressions above were mine alone, from listening via the CD-based rig I described; mcee used his portable rig when he listened (in contrast to his home setup).

The HD 700 sounds great and I suggest it as an excellent choice of audiophile headphone for those who want similar quality to the HD 800 but at a reduced price. That said, I was really impressed at the reduced price of the HD 800 as sold by Custom Cable these days as part of their current sale.

Lastly, I'm not affiliated with them and want to say that Custom Cable is a truly excellent company with helpful, knowledgable staff, and I highly recommend any London/Surrey-based head-fier check pay them a vist. (www.custom-cable.co.uk) 

May 20, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #2,648 of 3,545
Quote:
1000$ headphones should instantly impress you,

No - not at all.

If I am instantly impressed there is likely to be something wrong.

When I first heard the £10,000 ($15,000) Sennheiser Orpheus they did not impress me at all - it was only when I went back and listened to something else, that what I had thought good previously suddenly sounded very bad in comparison and only then did I realise how superb the Orpheus were.

Headphones and loudspeakers that are doing it right very rarely impress at all at first listening.

May 20, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #2,649 of 3,545
No - not at all.

When I first heard the £10,000 ($15,000) Sennheiser Orpheus they did not impress me at all - it was only when I went back and listened to something else, that what I had thought good previously suddenly sounded very bad in comparison and only then did I realise how superb the Orpheus were.

Headphones and loudspeakers that are doing it right very rarely impress at all at first listening.

I've found the opposite. Stax 007s/009s blew my socks off almost instantly, as did the HE-90 and 60s.. In fact, each time I've tried new headphones, if my brain didn't adjust within ~15 minutes there were some rather large issues with those `phones or they were just not the cans for me.

May 20, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #2,651 of 3,545
Quote:

If you are listening to your favourite recordings they should, no? If they initially sound wrong it is because they are wrong? If you get used to the colorations and gradually accept them, are you then impressed? If I hear obvious bass and treble at the outset, I know it will get worse.

OK, I think what I meant to say is that I am usually impressed by headphones that don't impress me 
biggrin.gif

May 20, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #2,652 of 3,545
Quote:
I've found the opposite. Stax 007s/009s blew my socks off almost instantly, as did the HE-90 and 60s.. In fact, each time I've tried new headphones, if my brain didn't adjust within ~15 minutes there were some rather large issues with those `phones or they were just not the cans for me.

I'm with you on this one.  The 009 only impressed me out of a proper amp though.  Once psychoacoustics sets in a whole bunch of phones become more similar and acceptable.  

May 20, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #2,653 of 3,545
Quote:

I sort of agree but I think you are making it into too strong a statement.

Yes, if you are blown away during the first 15 mins, then it might not bode well for the long term.   Whereas true quality often doesn't wow initially but becomes apparent with more listening.  It's exactly the same with music. The deeper stuff tends to need a few listens before you start to get into it- but once you do, it becomes very rewarding.  Music that really impresses on the first listen, tends to wear thin.  But it's not a rule and the opposite could just as easily happen- and sometimes does- especially if it's a 'game-changer'. 
happy_face1.gif

May 21, 2012 at 3:08 AM Post #2,654 of 3,545
Quote:
OK, I think what I meant to say is that I am usually impressed by headphones that don't impress me 
biggrin.gif

OK - I agree with that.
biggrin.gif

L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back