Sennheiser HD 700: Officially Unveiled at CES 2012!
Feb 28, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #2,026 of 3,545
Well the HD650 is one of the most colored headphones in the industry, I don't know if you will find another like it but better.

Feb 28, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #2,027 of 3,545

Quote:
Well the HD650 is one of the most colored headphones in the industry, I don't know if you will find another like it but better.

Granted they are on the darker side of things but 'most' colored seems a bit much.  Especially when there's another German company starting with 'U' and ending with 'ltrasone'.

Feb 28, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #2,029 of 3,545
I guess what I mean is that they were intentionally colored by Sennheiser to produce a smoother richer less fussy HD600. Some companies make colored headphones, but few do it intentionally, I guess that's why the HD650 stands out to me so much.

Feb 28, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #2,030 of 3,545

Quote:
I guess what I mean is that they were intentionally colored by Sennheiser to produce a smoother richer less fussy HD600. Some companies make colored headphones, but few do it intentionally, I guess that's why the HD650 stands out to me so much.

What'd you think of the Orpheus?

Feb 28, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #2,031 of 3,545
Excellent. Very much like a HD650 in balance, but obviously far better technically. Somewhat similar to an SR-007.

Feb 28, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #2,032 of 3,545

Quote:

Are you kidding?  Who cares about their "intentions", the HD650 is reeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyy far from being the most colored headphone in the industry.  I don't even know what to think about this comment. 

Maybe you should have tweeters implanted in your head?

edit:  especially coming from an 007 owner.  Now i'm even more baffled. 
confused_face.gif
confused_face.gif
confused_face.gif

Feb 28, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #2,033 of 3,545
HD 650 is quite balanced. Those who think it's dark haven't chanced hearing the new version.

There are far more colored headphones in the industry - right and left.

Feb 29, 2012 at 2:55 AM Post #2,035 of 3,545

Quote:

The LCD-2 rev.1 would be this.

If only the LCD2 has the HD650's soundstaging ability... 

Quote:

It's difficult to express, mainly because I do concede the LCD-2 is "superior" in many ways. Short answer? I find the HD650 more fun and engaging.

It's difficult to suggest another headphone that is similar in sound signature as these two headphones. Even the T1 is different. I'm not a fan of the T1 though because it seems that it's a "jack of all trades but master of none"-kind of headphone. 

Have you considered improving your upstream gear to bring out the best from the LCD2? I honestly find the Lyr not a very good match with the LCD2 as the last thing it needs is a warm-sounding amplifier. 

Quote:
Are you kidding?  Who cares about their "intentions", the HD650 is reeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyy far from being the most colored headphone in the industry.  I don't even know what to think about this comment. 

Maybe you should have tweeters implanted in your head?

edit:  especially coming from an 007 owner.  Now i'm even more baffled. 
confused_face.gif
confused_face.gif
confused_face.gif

Subtle. 
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 29, 2012 at 4:21 AM Post #2,037 of 3,545
Perhaps I'm mistaken, but to me, dark connotes an overall tonal quality where the treble isn't a present or emphasized. Veiled I'm less certain about, but I've seen it refer to a muffled quality akin to a lack of clarity. Though I could be mistaking "veiled" for the recent "plasticwrap effect" people are on about with regards to the LCD-3.

Feb 29, 2012 at 5:59 AM Post #2,038 of 3,545
Having upgraded from the HD600 series, while still having one here to compare to, I really feel they are past their prime and many new headphones even cheaper sound far better than that line unless you have the best gear supporting it, and even then you really have to consider costs. HD598 with moderate amp vs HD650 with high end amp, the HD598 is going to hold it's own quite nicely and for a LOT less money in the combo. And for the record I've never been able to enjoy listening to the HD650, it's always been so dark and muffled that it's felt completely dead to me. That's why I went with the HD600 until I upgraded.

Now certainly there are more colored headphones out there, beats, etc, but of the 'mainstream audiophile headphones' the HD650 is certainly one of the most colored.

Feb 29, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #2,040 of 3,545

Quote:
 but of the 'mainstream audiophile headphones' the HD650 is certainly one of the most colored.

Haha. I could think of at least a dozen 'mainstream audiophile headphones' more colored than the HD650... 
biggrin.gif
 But then again, I consider treble peaks and ringing one of the worst types of coloration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back