Sennheiser HD 700: Officially Unveiled at CES 2012!
Jan 10, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #182 of 3,545

Quote:
I'm honestly a bit surprised Sennheiser went with a sound signature so close to the HD800's. I was expecting the HD700 to be darker for some reason. Wishful thinking, perhaps.

I was thinking/hoping the same thing. Just the treble taken down a notch would have been been great.

Jan 10, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #183 of 3,545

Quote:
I was thinking/hoping the same thing. Just the treble taken down a notch would have been been great.

A slightly less technically capable HD800 with tamed treble response could actually be a better headphone than the HD800 (out of most rigs.) Sennheiser would never make a better headphone for less! 
biggrin.gif

Jan 10, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #184 of 3,545
Thanks for the impressions of the HD700's.  I am thinking of buying a headphone in the $800-1000 range sometime this year so another option is nice.  Hope to get a chance to try them out after they get released.

Jan 10, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #185 of 3,545

Quote:
Would you mind telling us on which variety of amps and sources you were able to try them ? Thank you.

Some of the stuff.......

Amps:

Objective 2
Schiit Lyr
Schiit Asgard
Eddie Current Balancing Act
RSA Hornet
RSA Tommahawk
Fischer Audio Mystify
Heed CanAmp

Sources:
All lossless files of great remasters or original master recordings playing out of:

Computer:

1) -> Fischer Audio Mystify DAC -> AMPS -> HD700
2) -> Optoplay 24/96 DAC -> AMPS -> HD700
3) -> Perfect Wave DAC -> Eddie Current Balancing Act -> HD700

Others:

Sony D25s
ipod 5g via LO
Sansa Clip+

Hope that helps....

Jan 10, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #186 of 3,545
Good discussion thus far. It is also worth noting just how different Sennheiser is from HiFiMAN and Audeze... Those companies can "one up" their last model, upsetting a few headfiers but making lots of others happy. But not Sennheiser. Has anyone seen how high the serial numbers go on the HD800? If they released a significantly cheaper model, that was close or even better in terms of performance, it would cause quite a stir... And not just in a good way. 

I do see the HD700 as being doomed from the start with certain listeners. But that should be expected - no single sound sig will please everyone. I also think people a more eager to dismiss Sennheiser as opposed to the smaller companies.... It's a classic David and Goliath thing.

Jan 10, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #187 of 3,545

Heard the HD-800 several times at head-fi meets. It has nothing on the HiFiMan HE-6 nor the Audez'e LCD-2. Hell, my JH16 Pro sounded better than the HD-800 at nearly all qualities except for soundstage. This HD-700, in my opinion, is just another way for Sennheiser to milk consumers.

There are marginal improvements as you work your way up headphones—and there are usually just as good sounding, if not better sounding alternatives for hundreds less.

Not purchasing these.

Jan 10, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #189 of 3,545

Quote:

Some of the stuff.......

Amps:

Objective 2
Schiit Lyr
Schiit Asgard
Eddie Current Balancing Act
RSA Hornet
RSA Tommahawk
Fischer Audio Mystify
Heed CanAmp

Sources:
All lossless files of great remasters or original master recordings playing out of:

Computer:

1) -> Fischer Audio Mystify DAC -> AMPS -> HD700
2) -> Optoplay 24/96 DAC -> AMPS -> HD700
3) -> Perfect Wave DAC -> Eddie Current Balancing Act -> HD700

Others:

Sony D25s
ipod 5g via LO
Sansa Clip+

Hope that helps....

Unfortunate that such "street cred" needs to be established to validate your impressions.

Jan 10, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #190 of 3,545

Quote:
A slightly less technically capable HD800 with tamed treble response could actually be a better headphone than the HD800 (out of most rigs.) Sennheiser would never make a better headphone for less! 
biggrin.gif

Doesn't that description already applies to the cheaper HE-500?!?!?!

:p

Jan 10, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #191 of 3,545

Quote:
Good discussion thus far. It is also worth noting just how different Sennheiser is from HiFiMAN and Audeze... Those companies can "one up" their last model, upsetting a few headfiers but making lots of others happy. But not Sennheiser. Has anyone seen how high the serial numbers go on the HD800?

Last I heard, they were up to s/n 13,000+ on the HD800.

Quote:
 If they released a significantly cheaper model, that was close or even better in terms of performance, it would cause quite a stir... And not just in a good way. 

Haha! <chuckles> Even manufacturers releasing better models for much more causes quite a stir!

Jan 10, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #193 of 3,545

Quote:
This HD-700, in my opinion, is just another way for Sennheiser to milk consumers.

Like all manufacturers.

Jan 10, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #194 of 3,545
Subscribed!

Jan 10, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #195 of 3,545

Quote:

I suspect so, but I haven't heard the HE-500 yet! Getting my grubbing hands on one soon.

I haven't heard it either but I had this one as my next purchase... but I want to wait for impressions/reviews on the
new Shure open cans (especially the 1840s) and these Senns. But really, IT WILL ALL DEPEND ON PRICING!!!!!!

If the 1840s are released at a price of $700+, and the HD700s at $800+,
even if they might bring a little more detailed sound over the HE-500 but overall are similar,
I would choose the Hifiman ones... (which can be had for less than $700...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back