Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Jan 1, 2024 at 3:24 AM Post #9,271 of 9,298
Yes, the plug can easily be removed but the solder pad on one of the driver gave out so easily. A replacement driver that I bought from ebay may have died from the heat from just one soldering. I have done such mod to countless headphones and this is the first time this happen to me. Direct wiring mod can improve the sound drastically but his time ends in no sound from one driver sadly!
IMG_5878.jpeg
So the pad burned just from trying to desolder the original wire from it? That's pretty disappointing. I guess you'd have to try again, with short little taps of the iron, to see whether that helps. It'd be a shame to write this mod off completely, as I can see it being beneficial soundwise.
Though, if the plug can be easily removed, like in the HD800, that at least makes the task of physically getting in there nice and straightforward

Jan 1, 2024 at 3:55 AM Post #9,272 of 9,298
So the pad burned just from trying to desolder the original wire from it? That's pretty disappointing. I guess you'd have to try again, with short little taps of the iron, to see whether that helps. It'd be a shame to write this mod off completely, as I can see it being beneficial soundwise.
Though, if the plug can be easily removed, like in the HD800, that at least makes the task of physically getting in there nice and straightforward
I think I just got unlucky but then again the solder pad on one of the driver is pretty weak while the used replacement driver that I got from ebay just stopped working after I soldered the the wire on to it. Again, I have done similar mods on multiple headphones including the new Sony MDR-MV1 without any problems but the HD700 drivers seem to be more fragile than others from my experience.

Jan 1, 2024 at 8:50 AM Post #9,273 of 9,298
I think I just got unlucky but then again the solder pad on one of the driver is pretty weak while the used replacement driver that I got from ebay just stopped working after I soldered the the wire on to it. Again, I have done similar mods on multiple headphones including the new Sony MDR-MV1 without any problems but the HD700 drivers seem to be more fragile than others from my experience.

Does it still work with the pad lifted? If it's the PCB but not the driver itself, you might be able to mechanically secure the lifted pad and then jumper to the wire on the speaker. You might even be able to just solder to the incoming wire of the speaker, but that's likely riskier, so I wouldn't start there.

At the very least, it's worth trying before throwing the driver away.

Jan 12, 2024 at 12:59 PM Post #9,274 of 9,298
To date, my HD 700 are my best headphone. Not because it sounds the best, but because I use them the most for everything. I use this headphone daily. Matter of fact I am listening to it now as I write this. This is my blue collar HP. I spend hours playing Diablo 4 with it nightly. The fit and function is perfect for gaming, watching TV and the occasional music listening. Agree this is not a "dark" sounding headphone, but more so a laid back and not in your face sound. Perhaps this is what you mean by dark. I hate the HD800 unless I am listening to it with tubes. Just to bright for my liking. I most recently sold my Stax 009 because of the same reason. The HD fits all the boxes.

Now, the ugly is the headband went to crap shortly after buying them. This black goo stained my hands. I remember getting up late at night to finally peel the whole headband from the headphone to only the band itself. This was the first time I wanted to toss them in the garbage. Instead I purchased Dekoni nuggets and Dekoni pads. Shortly afterwards I purchased the Moon Black Dragon cable. The stock cable tangled, stiff and sounded like crap. I would say with the original purchase of $450 and upgrades the HD700 is a $1000 HP. I have now had this headphone for 8 years. My previous Sen HD was a 5 series that I bought in early 2000 and had it until I replaced it with the 700 in 2016. 15 years I had that $70 HP, haha. It was so worn I could not even tell you what model it was. I foresee the HD700 sticking around for another 8 years despite my desire to always want to replace it.......Yamaha 5000SE looks good.
Yep, true workhorse. Mine is coming up on 10 years paid only $599 for it back in 2014.
Silicone on headband crumbled on mine too. Otherwise just changed to dekoni pads and shorter cables. I have been using it daily for everything from gaming to music to movies. With HUGO 1 this is a match made in heaven.
IMG_9086.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2024 at 1:13 PM Post #9,275 of 9,298
Does it still work with the pad lifted? If it's the PCB but not the driver itself, you might be able to mechanically secure the lifted pad and then jumper to the wire on the speaker. You might even be able to just solder to the incoming wire of the speaker, but that's likely riskier, so I wouldn't start there.

At the very least, it's worth trying before throwing the driver away.
I did try all that but the way the driver enclosure snapped into place is what caused the damage to the solder pad. When the driver enclosure snapped into groove, it pulled and yank the solder joint from the solder sad causing the damage. I hope it makes sense.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2024 at 11:47 PM Post #9,276 of 9,298
While I'll be keeping my HD700 phones, I just ordered the HD800S. Will be here tomorrow (7 Feb). Can't wait to see how they stack up against the HD700 with my Black Dragon cables (making the HD700 a bit warmer and more interment).

For now, I've zero plans to replace the OEM cables on the HD800S (still wish I had the OEM cable for the HD700). Instead, I'll be keeping those to go with my future Denafrips Artemis headphone amp I'll be ordering at the end of this month.

Mar 23, 2024 at 5:10 PM Post #9,277 of 9,298
@crinacle new video of the HD700

I think he's overblowing how difficult it to acquire a HD700 these days. Might be difficult to obtain it through a retail store because it's been discontinued for so long but I've seen them pop up on the used market a good amount.

Still really enjoy using my HD700, after replacing the earpads, headband, and cables. :L3000:

@Sennheiser really should make a HD700S2 already.

Mar 23, 2024 at 6:27 PM Post #9,278 of 9,298
I think he's overblowing how difficult it to acquire a HD700 these days. Might be difficult to obtain it through a retail store because it's been discontinued for so long but I've seen them pop up on the used market a good amount.

Still really enjoy using my HD700, after replacing the earpads, headband, and cables. :L3000:

To this day, the HD700 is one of the most comfortable over-ear headphones designed, even more so than the HD800. The HD700 was also incredible for gaming as well. It has a coloured response, but still quite an enjoyable presentation.

Currently, I have the 660S, which I feel gels the easy listening and reference tunings of Sennheiser into a single package. Not as comfortable as the 700 but definitely more balanced, and quite affordable second-hand. If you have other more reference/neutralish tunings though, the HD700 can make a fine daily set. I didn't find the peak that offensive, but I also was fine with the HD800 and the slight (arguably necessary) glare of the Focal Utopia.

Mar 24, 2024 at 3:29 AM Post #9,279 of 9,298
Did that last year - headband cushion, earpads, and a Moon Audio Black Dragan balanced cable. And life was great the HD800S replaced them.
To this day, the HD700 is one of the most comfortable over-ear headphones designed, even more so than the HD800.
Can't speak for the HD800, but owning a pair of HD700, I thought the same.... until I moved to the HD800S. Now putting on the HD700 phones feels like my heard is being squeezed compared to the HD800S. Also, oddly, they feel heavier on my head compared to the HD800S.

Anyway, not meaning to poo-poo on the HD700's, I used them (and still have them) for 7+ years, and even dropped $480 for a refurb job last year, but for me, the HD800S tops them all around, even in comfort; and I honestly did not think the HD800S was going to win there, as I whole heartedly agree the HD700 are some comfortable pones.

That said, I'm still keeping mine since paired with the Black Dragon cables, they now have a sound I like, though they're not above the HD800S (for me).

Currently, I have the 660S, which I feel gels the easy listening and reference tunings of Sennheiser into a single package. Not as comfortable as the 700 but definitely more balanced, and quite affordable second-hand. If you have other more reference/neutralish tunings though, the HD700 can make a fine daily set. I didn't find the peak that offensive, but I also was fine with the HD800 and the slight (arguably necessary) glare of the Focal Utopia.
I thought about getting the 660S2's last year, but instead used the money to refurb the HD700's. No regrets as I really liked the 700s.

Anyway, I'd still like a pair, but having just bought a new headphone amp, DAC, and earlier this year, the HD800S, this will have to wait as other priorities have shifted it out of sight for now.

Mar 24, 2024 at 6:24 AM Post #9,280 of 9,298
Anyway, I'd still like a pair, but having just bought a new headphone amp, DAC, and earlier this year, the HD800S, this will have to wait as other priorities have shifted it out of sight for now.
Ironically, I JUST purchased a new amp (iFi Pro iCan Signature), and to go with it, the HD800S also. I will be keeping my HD700 though. I have had them since (almost) the beginning and they are still going strong.

As for cables, I started with one of the cheaper (back then) New Phantasia cables you could get from Fleabay, but at one point I switched to a Hart Audio cable because it sounds much better, and the cable is just better overall (the HD800S have an incoming Hart Audio cable as well). :)

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2024 at 11:12 AM Post #9,281 of 9,298
Ironically, I JUST purchased a new amp (iFi Pro iCan Signature), and to go with it, the HD800S also. I will be keeping my HD700 though. I have had them since (almost) the beginning and they are still going strong.
Yeah, I got a Denafrips Artemis headphone amp, in which the HD800S phones were used to tune it. Great amp with lots of power, even at low settings. This> my setup.

As for cables, I started with one of the cheaper (back then) New Phantasia cables you could get from Fleabay, but at one point I switched to a Hart Audio cable because it sounds much better, and the cable is just better overall (the HD800S have an incoming Hart Audio cable as well). :)
I only ended up getting the Black Dragon cables because they were purported to tone the brightness of the HD700s, which they most definitely did, and why I like them with the HD700s, but also because the OEM cable got caught in a door and were damaged beyond repair. That said, would still like the OEM cable but they're hard to find.

Anyway, I don't plan on replacing the cables on the HD800S as I like their sound with them.

BTW, cables do make a difference on headphones so be careful what you buy, you could lose something in the sound of the HD800S. The Black Dragons on the HD700 made them sound warmer, but at the cost of soundstage as everything just moves in a little closer for a more intimate sound. They did improve overall bass, mids, and vocals, which are beautiful, but on the other hand I do miss that soundstage and better clarity, and why I want the OEM cables.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2024 at 1:49 PM Post #9,282 of 9,298
Yeah, I got a Denafrips Artemis headphone amp, in which the HD800S phones were used to tune it. Great amp with lots of power, even at low settings. This> my setup
Gorgeous setup ya' got there. :)

My current setup (until I receive the new amplifier):

The DX300 has been a godsend for me and has mostly had plenty of power (it can drive my set of 600ohm @87dB/mW fine, having a whopping 4.3W for a portable). At least until I try to turn the volume up past 100dB or so (110dB needing something that can output at least 10W, not counting swing).
20220616_194422.jpg
I only ended up getting the Black Dragon cables because they were purported to tone the brightness of the HD700s, which they most definitely did, and why I like them with the HD700s, but also because the OEM cable got caught in a door and were damaged beyond repair. That said, would still like the OEM cable but they're hard to find.

Anyway, I don't plan on replacing the cables on the HD800S as I like their sound with them.

BTW, cables do make a difference on headphones so be careful what you buy, you could lose something in the sound of the HD800S. The Black Dragons on the HD700 made them sound warmer, but at the cost of soundstage as everything just moves in a little closer for a more intimate sound. They did improve overall bass, mids, and vocals, which are beautiful, but on the other hand I do miss that soundstage and better clarity, and why I want the OEM cables.
You could very well be right with the HD800S, since I have not yet heard them, but from all that I have read they are enough like the OG HD800, which in turn were of the same DNA as the HD700. This is why I got the Hartaudio cable for the HD700; it is a pure copper cable.

The tube amplifier card in the DX300 didn't tame the HD700 quite enough without the Hartaudio cable (they are nigh on perfect now).

Mar 24, 2024 at 3:00 PM Post #9,283 of 9,298
Gorgeous setup ya' got there. :)
You could very well be right with the HD800S, since I have not yet heard them, but from all that I have read they are enough like the OG HD800, which in turn were of the same DNA as the HD700. This is why I got the Hartaudio cable for the HD700; it is a pure copper cable.
If you get the HD800S, may I suggest you listen to them with the OEM cables they burn in before auto dismissing and going with a different cable.

1) You should let the headphones (and cables) burn-in before making any cable changes
2) You'll never know what the phone with the OEM cable sounds like if you switch them out before hearing them. And you might actually find you like them.

Of all the components, if using headphones, I think cable changes there are more impactful there than cable changes elsewhere as headphones are a direct connection to your ear; and since they usually block out external noises, you're able to hear thing you might miss listening to speakers.

#2 is why I miss the OEM cable on my HD700 as I know what they sound like having used them for years before they were destroyed, and why I miss them. I'd also prefer them in some instances (mainly jazz) over the Black Dragons because they do have better detail, separation, and soundstage.

This is also where the materials used in the cables can make a difference in sound - silver (mid to upper range - bright & detailed) vs, cooper (mid to bottom (bass), warm, and less detailed, smaller soundstage). That's general and not hard locked. I believe the cables that come with the HD700, 800/S are more silver based than copper so to help achieve that wide soundstage and upper detailed range.

Point - cable material matters, and of course along with quality. And no, I'm not pushing Black Dragons, or expensive cables. Just saying the makeup matters.

Mar 24, 2024 at 3:16 PM Post #9,284 of 9,298

If you get the HD800S, may I suggest you listen to them with the OEM cables they burn in before auto dismissing and going with a different cable.

1) You should let the headphones (and cables) burn-in before making any cable changes
2) You'll never know what the phone with the OEM cable sounds like if you switch them out before hearing them. And you might actually find you like them.

Of all the components, if using headphones, I think cable changes there are more impactful there than cable changes elsewhere as headphones are a direct connection to your ear; and since they usually block out external noises, you're able to hear thing you might miss listening to speakers.

#2 is why I miss the OEM cable on my HD700 as I know what they sound like having used them for years before they were destroyed, and why I miss them. I'd also prefer them in some instances (mainly jazz) over the Black Dragons because they do have better detail, separation, and soundstage.

This is also where the materials used in the cables can make a difference in sound - silver (mid to upper range - bright & detailed) vs, cooper (mid to bottom (bass), warm, and less detailed, smaller soundstage). That's general and not hard locked. I believe the cables that come with the HD700, 800/S are more silver based than copper so to help achieve that wide soundstage and upper detailed range.

Point - cable material matters, and of course along with quality. And no, I'm not pushing Black Dragons, or expensive cables. Just saying the makeup matters.
OH! I had planned on using the stock cable in the beginning (especially with the new amp, and the cable being 10' long). I ordered the replacement cable because it is of regular length, and also because with it I can use any connection I want, having been made as a modular cable (3.5mm, 4.4mm, 2.5mm, 6.35mm, or XLR). But thanks for the advice. Much appreciated. :)

I have always been a proponent of cable materials making a difference in the sound that is heard through transducers. This is also why I keep the OG cables (in this case the HD700) because if the difference is big enough (to my ears), then I feel like I have two different headphones. Case in point (though not cable, but ear pads) I have a set of Focal Elegias, and while I love the stock (velour) pads because they sound pretty analytical, leather pads almost completely change the sound signature, and I love both, depending on the mood that I am in.

I would bet that the cable make-up is either SPC or silver and copper hybrid. SPC is so common because it is much cheaper to make than either of the other materials alone (silver or copper).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back